1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook Express sends messages but leaves them in Outbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by balticex, 2007/07/21.

1. 2007/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

At the (smallish) risk of landing you in hotter water I suggest you upgrade to IE 7 which should effectively reinstall Outlook Express and then visit Microsoft (Windows) Update to get the latest patches for IE 7 and OE. No guarantee that it will solve the problem, but worth a try. You should be using IE 7 anyway :)

Incidentally IE 7 can be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs to revert back to IE 6.

Download IE 7

2. 2007/07/30
    balticex

balticex Inactive Thread Starter

Apologies. I didn't answer the right question. I do have IE7 and Outlook Express 6 but I use Firefox. Have tried with IE7 active but doesn't seem to make any difference.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim

I'm fast running out of ideas on this one :(

One other piece of information which may be useful to me ...

Search for *.dbx files - enable search hidden files and folders - they will be Inbox.dbx, etc

What is the size of those .dbx files - Mb's, 10's Mb's or 100's Mb's? OE doesn't play nice with large .dbx files.

I am still of the opinion that if emails are delivered in duplicate/triplicate, etc that the fault lies on the mail server at Sky.

5. 2007/08/01
    balticex

Thanks for persevering Peter.

Following the logic of your reply I decided to archive all my email folders and then look at the sizes, deleting most messages from the largest .dbx folders from my Outlook Express.

The largest .dbx file is not surprisingly my Sent Box with 2 GB. Certain folders with names like DIGIT Magazine Summer 2007 are also pretty big!

So, I set about deleting messages in Outlook Express. Surprise surprise: some messages refused to be deleted and no matter what I did (open them and then press delete, move to another folder - if allowed - and delete) I was told that I couldn't delete them.

I am now wondering about setting up a new email program like Thunderbird to see if I can use taht satisfactorily.

6. 2007/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim

I think part, if not all of your problem is with the sheer size of some of your folders - a useful thread and advice here ....

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=197616

I cannot understand though why you are unable to move or delete certain emails unless there is corruption present.

7. 2007/08/01
    balticex

Thanks Pete.

Your persistence is getting me there!

Having put a backup of my email folders on an external hard drive, and with some messages refusing to be deleted, I started deleting folders wholesale.

And it now seems to work.

I still get two incoming messages but only on some email addresses.

The other good news is that Sky are now sitting up and taking notice. The email support seems to be a lot better than the telephone support and they tell me my line can't support the transfer rate they are using and some of my email addresses may be corrupted. I'm promised some action on both in about five days - probably a downgrading of the service.

Still, if it works that's fine by me.

I'll report back on progress but in the meantime I'm most grateful for your help and for sticking with me.

8. 2007/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim - you're welcome :) - keep us posted!

9. 2007/09/03
    balticex

Progress report

I thought I'd leave it a month before reporting back on the problem of messages sticking in the Outbox of Outlook Express, and so getting sent multiple times.

All the good work you did seems to have paid off since the problems are now very few. At the same time, Sky do seem to have made some changes to my account and have actually written to me! The rate of data transfer down my telephone line has been reduced. I am suspicious that Sky had other problems but they are not admitting that.

The outcome is that for most of the time all woorks well. Just very occasionally a message gets stuck in the outbox and although it is actually beeing sent, it refuses to move to the Sent box. As a result Outlook Express continues to send it (to eveyone's annoyance!) until I move it from the Outbox.

Frustrating but I can live with that.

Many thanks for all your help Pete.

10. 2007/09/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update - I do hope Sky have reduced your bill in proportion to the reduced transfer rate - oops - was that a flying pig I just saw? :D

11. 2007/09/11
    grinningdog

grinningdog Inactive

An answer...

but possibly not the answer!

I've had exactly this problem on one of my PC's (that I normally use for lots of email) that has a similar spec to yours. A combination of lots of different virus/malware checkers weren't solving the problems and extensive searching of Google finally led me here.

Something in this thread triggered a vague synaptic response (a bit like the end of Terminator to be honest, I was down to my last drip of coherent thought) and I checked the file sizes for some of my dbx files. Sent Items.dbx was over 2Gb.

I tried various things:
    I compacted without success
    I moved older messages into another folder
    I deleted some messages

Eventually I created a new folder called "Old Sent ". I shut down OE and renamed Sent Items.dbx to Old Sent.dbx. When I restarted OE it automatically recreated an empty Sent Items folder and everything now works fine.

It seems there is a file size limit in OE but it's a bit of a pain that it doesn't give a proper error message.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Bob

12. 2007/09/11
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

grinningdog - Welcome to the Board :) - and thanks for your input.

You are quite correct in saying that there is a limit to folder size in OE. Officially this is 2 Gb, but OE can start playing up with corrupted folders way below that size. I make a point of keeping mine at around 100 Mb max.

Moving mails from one folder to another does not relieve any corruption in the original folder and deletion of the .dbx file is the only solution. OE recreates the folder on re-opening - does this for all the default folders, but not User created folders AFAIK - not had the need to try that out.