1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook Express sending my previous email when I reopen Outlook

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Daniel20441, 2006/11/23.

1. 2006/12/01
    Daniel20441

Daniel20441 Inactive Thread Starter

This is ridiculous - I'm FORCED to create a new identity

...and need help. When I do this, I go to TOOLS>ACCOUNTS>MAIL TAB.
    In MAIL TAB, it reads "mail.danscartoons.com" , I assume this is my identity? Now, I have logged into my email overseas when checking my messages and have used this name in the past.
    Since I have decided to create a new identity, can anyone provide me with the simplest steps or how they would do this? Also, I already created a folder to EXPORT my IAF emails to but am curious as to what I should do next. This is very nerve racking!

2. 2006/12/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I think you are confusing identities with email accounts :) .....

Identities are analagous to Users in XP - you can switch between them and each User or Identity in OE is independent of the other.

If you are the only user of OE there will be only one Identity - the Main Identity (unless others have been set up). Go check, in OE, File > Identities > Manage Identities.

Each identity can have any number of email accounts which is what you are seeing under Tools > Accounts > Mail tab

Refer to the screenshot attached which shows my accounts ....

The default monolandscapes & bbsmoderator are two separate accounts with the same ISP (broadband) and the madasafish account is with another ISP on dialup.

In your case mail.danscartoons.com would appear to be your only account if that is all that appears in that dialogue.

To set up a new account click on Add > Mail and follow the wizard through. Note that you will need to create a new email account (with the same name, e.g danielscartoons@ xxxx.com/net or whatever) with your ISP first.

.iaf files are email accounts - they are not emails. If you save an email in OE under File > Save the default format is .eml.

Where are you finding these .iaf files - they are exported (backed up) accounts. In my screenshot highlight an account > Export

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/02
    Daniel20441

A New Discovery....

....after all of the wranglings, postings & frustrations, I discovered something. The problem was caused by my SENT email folder being too full! Not being an OE brain, I went through the trial and error (incluuding frustration!) and got some help to discover that creating another folder and naming it something like OLD SENT emails or such, I could move all current sent emails into that folder and / or delete as many remaining ones out of my current SENT folder.
    I tested it on a secondary address I use by sending out an email and voila. I'm glad I didn't uninstall or that stuff - too much grief! But if anyone has this problem in the future, that's what causes it.
    NOW- my next dilemma...how do I uninstall IE7? I don't think much of it. I already went to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and it isn't in there and after going up to SHOW UPDATES and clicking it, I noticed it isn't in there too. What to do?
    Thanks . . . .

5. 2006/12/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Should have picked up on this :( OE does not play well with excessively large folders.

Anyway glad to hear that you have finally resolved the problem of multiple emails.

How did you install IE 7 - was it a beta or RC1, did you download IE 7 Final from the IE site and install it or was it installed through Microsoft (Windows)Update?

From the IE site it installs under Windows Internet Explorer 7 - no idea what the name is from Microsoft Update, but would imagine that it would be the same.

BTW - you would be wise to stick with it - IE 6 has so many security holes in it that it's surprising it's still afloat :)

6. 2006/12/02
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Daniel20441--Glad to hear the good news. Fixing OE is not always easy. There are so many things that could be the key.
    If you go back to the first link in my first post (#8 in this thread), it says (near the bottom)
    I quote that, not to show that I am a smart aleck, but rather that reading through a proposed fix, even to the very bottom when it is long, may be the key to success.

7. 2006/12/02
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Hmmm, from what you've discovered, I find it odd that my suggestion above didn't solve the problem. Guess I should have just said to delete it right from the start but turning off the option to save a copy should have worked in this case (I would think anyway). Knowing some people want to keep the copies of sent messages, I always hesitate to recommend deleting it first although I guess there's always the recycle bin. Guess I'll have to re-think my approach when it comes to this type of problem. Thanks for letting us know!

8. 2006/12/03
    Daniel20441

Thanks for those who tried helping me here...

...I appreciate it. I sometimes learn through trial & error, much better than actual advice(of course, after suggestions don't work). In fact, once you are used to various nuances in clicking icons, accessing folders & so forth, you can pretty much get through a problem. The real difficulty can be in dealing with patience and many times, the length of time - depending on your temper and how patient or tired you are. I Do have a thick (almost phonebook size) book about Windows XP I bought a few years ago and that's helpful.
    For the most part, if someone comes across anyone indicating OE sending multiples of a same email, I can now be pretty sure ONE of the folders can be too full. In fact, my "sent" folder had over 23,000 emails in it. I use my system for business and have alot of work archived & stored in many folders throughout my computer....NONE of it is backed up! I need to actually start burning folders on CD's, archiving them and / or backing up stuff from my Dell Dimension 8200 desktop over onto my laptop.
    If you want to know about a unique backup system, check out http://www.gaviri.com and let me know what you think. I have over 4000 images archived in different folders throughout my site and operate two different licensing sites for images.