1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook Express sending my previous email when I reopen Outlook

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Daniel20441, 2006/11/23.

1. 2006/11/26
    Daniel20441

Daniel20441 Inactive Thread Starter

Welshjim . ..

Opened your link & went into windows task mgr....I enabled that option as nothing was checked. Still did n't help....don't know what I should do to remedy this EXCEPT for the dreaded unistall and re-install. I REALLY loathe and hate that kind of **** - it cause MORE problems than it's worth. Virus wise, I have Norton, so did a scan yesterday and NO viruses were discovered but it found two peices of spyware but none look too worrying . . one was something called Ebates and another thing. I don't know what the heck is my next move . . .still pondering.

2. 2006/11/26
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Grasping at straws here.
    I've seen this error before when compacting folders. In my case it was caused by my antivirus program being set to monitor the email. So, if you have Norton's email scanning function on, try turning it off and see what happens. Perhaps it's the source of your problems. It may not be but it's worth a try.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/26
    Daniel20441

Zander . . .

. . . . let me go into Norton & check that! I'll get back...I'm getting more & more frustrated! Back soon...

5. 2006/11/26
    Daniel20441

Zander . . .

. . . I went into Norton and un-checked those email scanningboxes. Tested it by sending a mail to my secondary address and still get an 'ERROR' and the outgoing DOES get received by my secondary address but is originally stuck on my OE outbox. So that wasn't the problem. BTW, Norton recommends keeping the email scanning checked....

6. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Are you running Zone Alarm firewall? If so disable it momentarily and uncheck email scanning in that app.

7. 2006/11/27
    Daniel20441

PeteC . . .

. . . NOT running ZoneAlarm firewall on this end. I do have the firewall that came with my Windows XP Pro enabled though. I also have firewall protection enabled via my internet provider Charter.net so STILL don't know what the heck else this could be . . .

8. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

9. 2006/11/27
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

10. 2006/11/27
    Daniel20441

Welshjim . . .

. . . I tried that. I disabled the email scanning of my outgoing messages in OE and tried sending an email. STILL happens. I went to that other forum and nooticed that other fellow is experiencing the same exact problem. I posted there but he never posted back. I really don't know what the heck to think of this problem. FYI, I have had Norton for many moons and used it in conjunction with OE and never expperienced this problem . . . all the while it scanned incoming & outgoing messages . . . .so . . . .

11. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Daniel

Following my last post it may well be worth gettig your phone line checked out.

12. 2006/11/27
    Daniel20441

PeteC . .

. . . the frustrating thing is that I am NOT on the phone line. I am hooked up to my cable television service's high speed broadband hookup,(384kbps) and cannot figure this out!

13. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I really don't know what to suggest next, apart from speak with them.

14. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

On second thoughts maybe you should consider a repair of XP.

15. 2006/11/27
    Daniel20441

Good idea . .

. . . . can you suggest the BEST way? Something that I won't have to unistall or reinstall this or that? Any help would be much appreciated. I use my primary OE address for biz so this is getting to be frustrating.

16. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

17. 2006/11/27
    Daniel20441

Not sure I wanna go there . . .

,,,because I have SO much important stuff on my c:\ drive....a couple websites and folders containing hundreds and hundreds of important images I license out . . .not to mention what's in my OE mail folders, address book etc. Seems like too much to risk. Especially if I'm not all that keen on backing up data. I mean, I suppose I need to get started burning all kinds of stuff on disk etc.? It'd be a time connsuming nightmare...... not sure if that would even work as I read on ANOTHER OE forum that someone uninstalled and reinstalled OE and the problem was STILL THERE.

18. 2006/11/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Regardless of what you do to resolve your current problem if your data is important it must be backed up - your hard drive could fail tomorrow - or sooner. Sounds like your living depends on the stuff on your hard drive.

I suggest you purchase an external hard drive and a copy of Acronis 10 and image the entire drive to the external drive and keep that image current. Keep two images - current and previous.

FWIW - my backup strategy is as follows .....

Data drive D:\ backed up hourly to another internal physical drive.

Other drives - I have 17 in all (17 partitions on 3 physical drives - 2 x SATA + 1 x PATA) backed up weekly to an external hard drive.

Root partition C:\ imaged with Acronis at least once a month.

Plus a recent copy of my Data drive on the laptop.

19. 2006/11/28
    Daniel20441

Thanks PeteC - I need to back up everything ANYWAY . . .

. . . but just to let you know, I did contact an old helpful friend when I first got online several years ago. Here's what she said - - OE is not worth it!. And she's had nothing but trouble with it & decided to use some program through the FireFox browser. Know anything regarding Thunderbird? Here is a partial segment of her missive:

I've had lots of trouble with OE and I highly recommend switching to
    Firefox browser and Thunderbird email. Both free, and you can import all your folders to
    the new email program, plus your address book, and it is easier to back up. I know how
    skiddish you feel about those folders. I must have over 50 folders. It was a seamless transition,
    and it has a junk filter that works like a charm. I've never seen a better spam and phishing junk
    filter. You will have a junk folder so you can inspect your email before you delete it. If you need
    any help after this, let me know. I have mastered this email program and really love the browser,
    Firefox so much better than IE7. You can even use it independently of Firefox.

Download it free: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

20. 2006/11/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Personally I have no problems with OE, but if you want info or help with Thunderbird or Firefox mosey on over to the Netscape and Mozilla forum.

21. 2006/11/30
    Daniel20441

my difficulty still persists with OE . . .

...but I did download a trial version of ScanDBX and the trial version only lets you know of problems it finds. The full version finds AND repairs. So after I did a scan, here is my report card:
    FOUND:
    #1.NETWORK CONNECTION TESTER: Some network connections could not be completed (due to my Norton, or so I assumed)
    #2.EMAIL ACCOUNT SCANNER: ScanDBX has detected 3 errors in your email accounts (????huh???)
    #3.MAIL STORE FILE SIZE TESTER: Warning, some of your OE mail store files are near the size limit.

I then cancelled the rest of the scan due to it SLOWLY doing it's thing . . . but if anyone has feedback . . .