1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Outlook 2010 - renaming a pst file

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by basketcase, 2017/02/21.

1. 2017/02/21
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My wife old W7 desktop is deteriorating so we are moving her software and data to a newer Windows 10 computer. The unit has Outlook 2010 already on it.

I copied her Outlook Data file off of her present computer, set up her email on the new one, and then moved the original data file to a flash drive. But when I tried to restart Outlook it did not find her data file. I had to copy the original back into the folder to get Outlook to properly load.

The original file on the computer we want to use was named outlook.pst

Her pst data file is a different name.

Can I just copy over her pst file and then rename it so Outlook finds it, or is there some data connection that will prevent me from "fooling it" like that?

Otherwise, I think I'll need to export the various pieces of her data and then restore them as part of the pst file that works.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. 2017/02/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You have to point Outlook to the .pst file that you want to use - it will not find it unless in the right place.......

Simplest way should be, with Outlook closed - rename the existing Outlook.pst file on the new computer to OutlookOld.pst and then copy your wife's file to the same location and rename it Outlook.pst . Restart Outlook.

AlexH likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/27
    basketcase Contributing Member

basketcase Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Pete, thanks. That solved the issue for us.