1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Only PSU fan goes on

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Barry, 2016/12/12.

1. 2016/12/24
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

Bingo!!!! I found this on StarTech's site: Note: An independent IDE drive must be set to master.

What a difference a little jumper makes. All files are now being transferred.

2. 2016/12/24
    Barry

Everything is set up and seems to work fine. I transferred 31GB of data from her old hard drives to the new hard drive. Unless I can locate a SATA drive for her, her backup will be on her OS drive. I did save a copy on my computer, just in case. I only have two things that are less than ideal. I copied and replaced the Thunderbird files (Crash Reports, Profiles, profiles and registry.dat -- 591MB), but it didn't seem to impact anything. Nothing appears in her address book, and I don't know how to import that from files on the same drive.
    Also, the DVD-ROM runs differently than I am used to. In the past I've just put in a CD or DVD and it started on its own. This one only starts when I click on the DVD-ROM icon. Maybe there is a setting for it to start automatically, but I'm not sure where to find that.
    After we find the answers to those questions, I'll have the big challenge of getting her to organize her photos.
    Thanks for the help.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If your adapter is an older unit, W10 won't recognize it. When it's connected - does it show in Device Manager? To get your CD/DVD to make automatically: In W10 >
    Right click Start > Control Panel > Autoplay > and make the changes you need.

Last edited: 2016/12/24
  5. 2016/12/24
    Barry

The HDD shows in device manager whenever I start my computer, but it eventually disappears. I don't use that third drive for anything oth er than backup.
    When I start my computer tomorrow morning, I'll follow your instructions to make the DVD ROM automatic. Thanks and enjoy your holidays.

6. 2016/12/28
    Barry

The DVD-ROM now does start automatically, after following your instructions and restarting the computer. Thank you.

7. 2016/12/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're Welcome. Have a Happy New Year.

8. 2016/12/28
    Barry

Hope this new year is a great one for you, also.