1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

OE and error 501 permission

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by sunrisecc, 2005/02/25.

1. 2005/02/25
    sunrisecc

sunrisecc Inactive Thread Starter

Using Win XP SP2, I get an error 501 - permission denied whenever I attempte to change the font via a right-click or from the drop-down format list. I am able to change the font via the Format toolbar as a work-around. This problem developed a few months after installing SP2.

The problem is still there if I boot into safe mode. I have tried a new identity in OE also to no avail. The only solution I have come up with is to create a new XP user. However I did not proceed with this as it will cause me too much grief restoring all settings, accounts, email etc.

In researching this problem on the net, many have reported it but nary a solution. Others have tried re-installing OE with no success.

The error box shows it is an IE error while in the dialog of attempting to open the font selection.

2. 2005/02/25
    Newt

Newt Inactive

XP-home or XP-pro? If it's a security/permissions issue the fix will be different for home vs. pro.

You should have error or warning events in the event logs giving details that might help in solving this. Click on start=>run, key in eventvwr.msc, click OK and check both the application and system logs for related events. When you find one, click it open, click the icon below the up/down arrows to send a text copy to your clipboard, and paste it here.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/25
    sunrisecc

XP Pro.

I just caused the error. There is nothing in any logs as per your request within 10 minutes of my test.

5. 2005/03/16
    duncan1959

duncan1959 Inactive

501 error in outlook express

I have the same problem im using xp professional
    not sure when it started i have all updates installed and sp2 :confused:

6. 2005/03/16
    sunrisecc

Other than creating a new XP user, I have not found a solution as yet. I can use the work-around of using the Format toolbar to change the font in OE. Does this work for you?

Someday MS will announce a solution as this problem occurs more often. :cool:

7. 2005/03/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

If you follow the instructions Here for creating a new account and copying data from the old (probably corrupt) one, you take care of most of the setup issues without a lot of work.

Newt,
  8. 2005/03/16
    sunrisecc

I agree with you that as long as a new XP account is created, it works. I have tested that. However I choose not to do so because quite a few specialized cookies etc will not work and I do not want to recreate the many settings that I would lose. As long as the work-around is feasible, I prefer to keep all my specialized settings and personalizations.

After IE 7.0 is released and the install does not repair the problem, then I may bite the bullet at that time.

Searching the internet, more and more users are reporting the problem. Maybe MS would take heed and I will re-open the ticket I previously created.

9. 2006/03/04
    sunrisecc

About a year ago, I wrote this group reporting that I was receiving an error 501 font permission denied. At that time, there were only two work-arounds. One was to use the font toolbar and the second was to create a new Windows user.

This morning I read a post with two suggested solutions. They were to change, under advanced options of IE, the following:-
    Uncheck Show Friendly URL and uncheck USE HTTP 1.1.

Since I already had the Friendly URL unchecked, I proceeded to uncheck USE HTTP 1.1. I can now change fonts via right-click.
    I even restored USE HTTP 1.1 to checked and OE still allows me to change fonts via right-click.

Go figure.

Credit: http://castlecops.com/postlite148110-.html