1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Ntoskrnl.exe - ACPI.sys - IRQ problem - Desperate

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by justinp, 2002/09/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/10/10
    justinp

justinp Inactive Thread Starter

2. 2002/10/10
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Justin - do you mean that ALL the errors in the safe-mode logs were also in the normal/full mode logs?

Some are fine maybe in safe but very unfine in normal - and especially if you had network connectivity at boot time.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/10/11
    justinp

Hi Newt

Sorry, I've confused myself even :D

These errors below only appeared in Safe Mode they didn't appear in Normal Mode:

Application
    Ultra
    DCOM
    Service Control Manager

System
    PerfNet
    PerfDisk
    rasctrs
    WinMgmt
    W3Ctrs
    IISInfoCtrs

The only Normal Mode errors:
    W3SVC
    SMTPSVC
    Dhcp(Warning)

the DHCP appear warning appeared after installing the Microsoft Loopback network adapter, I installed this because of problems accessing IIS Manager, this was advised as part of a guide from IISFaq.com

I hope this is a bit more concise

Thanks

Justin

Last edited: 2002/10/11
  5. 2002/10/11
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

Been very busy killing BugBear and Opa.worm etc last 2 days at clients which required me to travel some, home very late and tired!

Looks like you have a handle on it! Work on them 1 at a time!

Those are normal event errors for safe mode!

You learn good!

Remember the differences! Clear and reboot, then recheck logs. This will show bootup only errors!

If they are OK for now just get rid them, you already now about these and makes it easier to see the others! So clear them and do normal things return to look after attempting to install or fix the known errors!

Use the link on the errors to go to Microsoft to define! Also don't forget the LINK that I sent you to check these also! They have more later and additional info in some cases and comments by people that have dealt with them also!

Good luck keep us posted!

Mike

6. 2002/10/11
    justinp

7. 2002/10/11
    justinp

Hi Mike,

I've noticed the only errors in the Event viewer are the W3SVC SMTPSVC ones, and the DHCP warning.

Shall i go ahead and restore the image of the pre-sp3 Win2k Server??

Cheers

Justin

8. 2002/10/11
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

What do you mean pre sp3?? Why go back?

These errors do not seem to be coming from SP3!

Do you still have bootup problems?

Are these are the only errors in the event logs, they are nothing compared to some other computers I have seen!

Justin you will always get something in the event logs, and some errors are OK to leave alone if 1. you don't need item in error 2. you have the error but the items works for you normally! 3. the OS is performing well as it is!

There are actually some things that show as errors and MS has acknowledged that in fact the error reported is incorrect! So if everything feels good go on to next step!

But a little hunting later and even these can be corrected. So in this case if everything else is working as you expect do the image and proceed to next step!

You do want to keep the sp3 if possible because it is a major and solid and important update!

So not counting these little log errors what other problems are you having!

Do not get too into the logs now because you can have problems with the OS without it even showing up in the logs! So we will approach them another way!

So forget the logs and give me symtoms, what do you hear, feel or see!

Mike

9. 2002/10/12
    justinp

Hi Mike,

It's just taken me 15-20 manual reboots just to get back into Windows. The reason I say about taking it back to pre SP3 is that the my computer was running absolutely fine, no blue screens and normal boots until I put on SP3, after the first complete shutdown once SP3 was installed, I booted up and this is when all the blue screens and bootup problems came back. It just seems a little coincidental don't you think?

It's back to square one as far as I can see now, same problems as I had when I started this topic.

Regarding the other errors they are fine and I will leave them.

Sorry if I seem angry but I am :mad: I officially hate computers.

Thanks again

Justin

10. 2002/10/12
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Ok Justin

I was just confirming that you still had this problem!

It is up to you if you want to revert to pre sp3! BUT!

I think I know what this is:

Go again into CMOS/BIOS there is a selection for Quick boot, TURN IT OFF!

You will see more info about the boot and the computer will count off the memory twice when booting and will take 30-45 seconds longer to come completely up!

If this fixes the problem it happens as the quick boot does not give enough time for all the HW to init before bam the OS is booting!

Try this one thing and get back to me!

Mike!

PS You make your living with computers you best begin to like them again! Begin to respect it as a complex and powerful TOOL! Try to reestablish this relationship! Smile!!!

Bring it flowers every once in a while, candle light supper, talk, open up and tell her your deepest thoughts! LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited: 2002/10/13
  11. 2002/10/13
    justinp

Hi Mike,

I've done the CMOS/BIOS change as requested, unfortunately I'm still receiving problems. I forgot to mention that when I'm in Windows it sometimes goes to a blue screen randomnly.

Do you think it's a hardware problem??

......I do like computers when they work and help me do my job , but when they go wrong it sends me mad.

Thanks

Justin

12. 2002/10/13
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

I understand, been there myself!

As I see it now we have no choice! So do it!

There have been so many messages so let me confirm that you began correctly!

On the first install was the cable modem unhooked should have been?

Did you add any advanced features, should have been bare default install! Even the network should have been the default except you would supply a workgroup! NO Active directrory or Domain! Skip anything that can be added later!

Remember anything can be added later! And should be!

This is where the SP3 should have gone in!

If you added any advanced features or networking or firewalls to the basic installation before SP3 then this is not what i advised!

You should have downloaded SP3 and burned to CDRW so that you would not need to setup to access to the internet even to install it!

If you did it this way then for sure it is time to backup to before SP3!

Mike

Last edited: 2002/10/13
  13. 2002/10/14
    justinp

Hi Mike,

I've done another fresh install as Drive Image would not let me restore the previous image as when it was in DOS drive image the system hangs.

I'm still getting all the blue screen problems on boot up plus a few new references to files - bootvid.dll & win2k.sys

It was even blue screening during the install, this happened at least 15 times , it was also hang on Windows 2000 is starting on the text setup part.

Is it my motherboard do you think?? Do I need a new one?? If so, I'm prepared to break the bank now to get one as we seem to have tried our best to fix it and I'm prepared to admit defeat. My customers are getting a bit restless with the delay on their projects.

Thanks

Justin

14. 2002/10/14
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

I am sure your customers are getting restless!

I can not say from here that i think it is your MB! It could be any number of things!

Sounds to me like you need to buy another computer and then get both running and leave 1 as a spare for emergency! But that is not allways possible!

To restore the image you probably will have to manuall reformat c: to remove what is there now. Then try the restore.

Drive image does't say anything about the image being corupted does it?

Mike

15. 2002/10/14
    justinp

Hi mike

I put a win98 boot disk in and FDISKed the OS drive to clear anything and then tried to go into Drive image to restore the basic OS it let me select which drive I wanted then it hung and I had to reboot, I tried a few times but same problem each time.

I'm now running a fresh install Win2k, Any ideas on the next step to sort the problem??

Thanks for sticking with me

Justin

16. 2002/10/14
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

Did drive image report an error! Are you restoring from an image on the hd on drive e: etc to c:??

If it is locking up in dos it could be the MB or some setting in the BIOS.

Unplug the usb cable modem! Any printers! Before trying to restore again!

And don't have them hooked up when you try to reinstall Win2K!

Wait reread your message! You say drive image comes all the way up! Then can you browse to the drive that has the image and actually see the image, or does it lock up trying to find the drive?

If so this would indicate a HD or HD configuration problem still and would account for some other problems?

Get win98 boot disk that comes with windows and finds the CD to install. Cancel the windows install, put in disk 2 of the Drive image disk and type PQDI to start drive image. Put in the CD you burned and see if it will restore from there!

Mike

17. 2002/10/15
    justinp

Hi Mike,

I finished a reinstall of windows yeserday and followed the steps method you suggested in previous posts:
    Clean Install, image, sp3, image, add win features, image.

It's just a case of installing apps such as office and homesite etc.

I've still got a feeling the system is gonna go funny again with the blue screens.

What piece of hardware is causing these problems do you think??

Cheers

Justin

18. 2002/10/16
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

Sorry so late! Have been away on bussiness 2 days!

Justin the logic here is to do the steps and test everything you install!

Then when you go to the next step and it begins the problem then you know exactly what you installed last and this is the problem!

It does not have to be hardware!

Say you hooked up your USB cable modem and it immediately began bad things! Well the first thing would be to make sure you have the very latest driver for this device by going to their website and checking!

Or maybe it is some software or program that you use! Then check with them for a possible update!

So what is the status now!

I have used Drive image for years! I always say when I need this image it won't work but it allways has. Many many times! I would like to know what this problem is! You need to be able to depend on it!

Did you ever find out why the error! Still sounds like a HD problem to me!

Mike

19. 2002/10/16
    justinp

Hi Mike,

Ok things have changed....

I was getting annoyed with my system, it would freeze on Windows Server startup bar, it would blue screen - so I went into CMOS and used the load optimised defaults function, it rebooted and the machine went in perfectly and since then I've not had one touch of trouble, weird :D Touch wood the machine will remain stable.

I managed to do all the images with Drive image in the end, it only crashed once again, it was when you search for a folder to where you will put the final image it would hang.

Regarding the problems with the blue screens, these were still happening on a clean Win2k Server install so I don't think it's any alternative software causing this.

Let me know your views on these events

Thanks

Justin

ps. It's 19:00 here in sunny 'ol England. I'm just about to sit down and watch the England V Macedonia football match with a nice cool beer, so I'll speak to you tomorrow.

Last edited: 2002/10/16
  20. 2002/10/17
    justinp

Hi Mike,

I spoke to soon :(

I booted my system up a minute ago and it hung on the windows screen.....
    But I managed to get back into Windows by using the load optimised defaults option.

Not sure what to do next.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Justin

21. 2002/10/17
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

At what level are you with the steps! What was the last thing you installed?

Go to CMO/BIOS and find Plug & Play and reset configuration!

Then if it boots OK shut down and go back to same place and change Plug & Play to no!

But what was the very last thing you installed yesterday?

And as a test see if you can now pick a drive image to restore! You do not need to restore just see if you can! If you still can not choose the image or it locks up then there is something wrong with your hd setup!

One other question!

Your drives all line up now, right? CDEF are all on same drive and the cd and cdrw are g & H? Right!

Did you say you now have a second HD?

Mike

Last edited: 2002/10/17
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.