1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Ntoskrnl.exe - ACPI.sys - IRQ problem - Desperate

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by justinp, 2002/09/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/09/26
    justinp

justinp Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I've recently started to have problems with my system.

While using my system it would 'blue screen' voluntarily, then when I rebooted it would get to the Windows 2000 Server progress window and would hang. On other times it would have the 'Starting Windows' progress bar then it would blue screen.

The error messages I've had are:

Stop 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop 0x0000001E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I've also had errors associating these files Ntoskrnl.exe, Hal.dll and ACPI.sys

I reinstalled Windows 2000 Server but received the same problems. I took all PCI cards out of my system bar the graphics card and booted up, same problem, so I put my old old 8mb graphics card in, same problem. I reinstalled Windows 2000 Server again, and guess what, same problem. It takes me about 5+ manual resets to get into Windows. I've swapped my RAM DIMMs around, tried booting up on one but to no avail.

I updated my Bios but still have the same problem.

Any ideas anyone??

Many Thanks

Justin

SYSTEM INFO-----
    AMD Athlon 1000 Ghz Processor,
    MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL Mainboard - MS-6330 - K7T Turbo,
    FUJITSU MPC3084AT - 8.4gb Hard drive,
    IBM-DTLA-305040 - 40gb Hard Drive,
    NVIDIA TNT2 PRO,
    128Mb SDRAM,
    512Mb SDRAM,
    LITE-ON LTR-401255 - CD BURNER,
    MAT****A DVD-ROM SR-8582,
    ALCATEL SPEED TOUCH USB ADSL MODEM,
    ADVANSYS SCSI HOST ADAPTER,
    CREATIVE SB LIVE! BASIC,
    TEXAS INSTRUMENTS OHCI COMPLIANT IEEE 1394 HOST CONTROLLER.

IRQS RESOURCES----

IRQ Number Device
    11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    11 MSI MS-8802/8806 (Nvidia TNT2 Pro)
    11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
    11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
    11 Advansys SCSI Host Adapter
    11 HCF 56K PCI Modem
    11 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    11 Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
    11 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    14 Primary IDE Channel
    15 Secondary IDE Channel
    9 Multimedia Audio Controller
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    13 Numeric data processor
    6 Standard floppy disk controller
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

IRQ CONFLICTS

Resource Device
    IRQ 11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 11 MSI MS-8802/8806 (Nvidia TNT2 Pro)
    IRQ 11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 Advansys SCSI Host Adapter
    IRQ 11 HCF 56K PCI Modem
    IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
    IRQ 11 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

2. 2002/09/26
    Dorfmann

Dorfmann Inactive

ACPI does support IRQ sharing. However, have you tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS and installing a non-ACPI HAL (hit F5 when it says to press F6)?

Last edited: 2002/09/26

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/09/27
    justinp

Hi Dorfmann, Many thanks for your reply.

I've not tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS.

I read the MS technet that you mentioned, it all seems a little too confusing for me, I noticed this below, does this apply to me??
    What instructions should I follow??

My computer type is 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC'

Thanks

Justin

5. 2002/09/27
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

JustinP

Justin, I am afraid many things could cause this problem!

But the place to begin is the Event viewer!

Get it up! Print the logs! Clear the logs!

Reboot! Some how get it back up and before anything else check the logs again!

Research the errors!

Then get back to us!

Mike

6. 2002/09/28
    justinp

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I've cleared the Error log in the Event Viewer.

These are the errors that I'm now recieving with the event code:

MSFTPSVC - 105
    W3SVC - 105
    IISCTLS- 2
    SMTPSVC - 105

disk - 11
    atapi - 5

The IIS related problems seem to have occured since I installed the drivers for my sound card(Creative SB LIVE! Value), I'm aware that conflicts arise when using IIS with ZoneAlarm Pro, I followed this article to stop these conflicts previously: http://www.iisfaq.com/default.asp?View=A335

...but the 'disk' and 'atapi' I'm not too sure about, any ideas??

I thought I would let you know that I'd partitioned my 40gb HD into a 6b partition for the OS and I'm currently formatting the rest now....

Regards

Justin

7. 2002/09/28
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

8. 2002/09/28
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

I forgot to say, also look up your other event of course ATAPI because they are intertwined together!

You may have to fix one or both! BUT!!!!!! DO NOT DO THEM ALL AT ONCE!

Only one at a time! Find the fix, then stop untill you have a backup! Then while tinkering with the others if you break it again you can restore to a point!

A couple of suggestions! From a professional point of view!!

Since you are installing fresh (I think) use this logic!

I would split 40g into 4 equal partitions myself, but do 3 at least!

Then only allow the OS on C: only what comes off the win2k install no Applications. Install MS Office etc to d: any other programs other than OS to d: Watch this everything allways wants to go to c:\Program Files\. So when you install just change the c: to d:

Do put any OS utils like PcAnywhere some fancy disk util or any thing to clean or optimize or tweak on c: JUST KEEP USER DAY TO DAY APPLICATIONS AWAY FROM THE OS!

Then use e: for data and backups mp3 videos etc! I keep a Compressed Partition Magic drive image on this drive!

This logic has several advantages!

You can back up OS and Data seperately and if your backups are current, you can restore either and the other will not be effected and still operate! Most times you are trying to fix only the OS anyway!

Small advantage! Searching a smaller partition will increase performance! Sometimes without your knowledge or with, the OS will have to look for a needed OS file! If it has to look thru 650 megs of MS Office and clip art, what happens?

Faster disk defrags and scandisks for the OS drive! Less need to defrag a particular drive as often!

Ability to move the swap/pagefile to another drive (this file is big and not nessesary to be in a backup, smaller backup file size)!

Chance that a virus or other error will be confined to single drive and you don't lose everything!

I could go on and on.....

Now on NTFS!
    For a small trusted network or individual computer! Fat32 on the (OS drive only) is better because you can boot off a dos disk and retrieve data or maybe even fix a problem! NTFS, there are some ways but not as flexable and you better know how!

The small increase in performance or suposed stability you will never notice! And if you have more partitions then the smaller clusters of NTFS become less of a consideration!

Now if the pupose is to learn about NTFS then by all means, NTFS it!

This same logic applies to Active Directory unless you have a reason to use it or want to learn it! It only installs another level of complexity if you are not going to use it! Additionally a small performance hit because it is running!

What I am saying is! If you know what it is, have a reason for it then by all means install it! Othewise leave it alone!

If you already have NTFS to convert back to fat32 is easy if you have Drive Image only, no Partition magic required as you probly have been told! Anyone who needs to convert just ask! But for now I have to go! Smile!

Mike

9. 2002/09/29
    justinp

Thanks for your reply.

I never even thought of doing it the way you've mentioned, I think that I'm going to follow your instructions as they make so much sense :D

I've noticed now that if the system is off when I hit the power, only the fan comes on, the HD, CD etc don't come to life - I have to manually reset a few times to get it going. ACPI problem??

Back to the event viewer.....
    ATAPI error:
    'A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. '

DISK error:
    'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0. '

Service Control Manager error:
    'The Network Connections service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. '

Above are the more detailed errors as requested, hopefully these shed some new light on the problem, I'm also receiving the W3SVC problem as mentioned in previous posts.

I found it strange that I was still receiving the problem after reinstalling Win2k Server twice though...

Thanks again

Justin :confused:

10. 2002/09/29
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

Hmmmm!

Justin get ready but you may have a bad chip on the MB hence bad mother board!

It is going to take some diag and trouble shooting to confirm and sometimes it is hard to confirm!

Well I would normally reccomend ignoring the other errors and concentrate on the ATAPI error 11! And the disk error 5! Because you have a basic problem just booting! And these are the guys!

I can tell you that an ocassional 1 time error in the event log is common! If you don't get it on the next boot or very often don't bother with it now!

I just reread your original message! I am sorry I overlooked the IRQ confilcts you mentioned. I quess i just scanned thru too fast thought it was just a list of IRQs and one of my senior moments occured there!

Not only right there at the top of the list is ATAPI but on down the list is the SCSI controller and USB! You have 9 items in conflict you should have none!

This is where all of you problems are coming from! And I remember from scanning the event site I sent you there is a possible problem with some USB/MB/Bios combos!

Do you use USB! And even if you do disable all Bios support for now to see if it is a problem! Also if the sound card is not onboard remove it, if onboard disable it in addition to the USB! If you have reinstalled any of the interface cards! Remove all again but the Video! Including the network card!

The way I would do the above!

Boot to Cmos/Bios find the BIOS reset and choose the one that says something like reset to best performance and do so! Save and reset again go to Bios and find the "PNP OS installed" or equivelint and set it to yes, then select reset configuration or it may say ESCD but reset!

Then do the following!

If you can get up in safe mode remove all of the devices in device manager! Then shut down and physically remove the cards, boot back up but on the way goto bios disable all onboard items not nessesary for now! Then boot into safe mode again and check the device manager for any of the items you disabled the first time and any relating to the onboard items! While here in safe mode clear all events again so you can see a clean list on full boot! And check the events immediately on reboot to full mode!

Then look at the conflicts again! Let me know!

NOTE: while I think of it! If per chance we do get a good boot DO NOT PUT ALL OF THESE BACK AT ONCE! Begin in BIOS and do them 1 at a time! I know, I know long time huh! But nessesary in order to find our main culpert!

You did not mention the event trouble shooting site that I sent! Read it carefully! It will take you stright to event 11! After reading that goto the address line and backspace the 11 off and replace it with a 5 to see the other error!

One other biggie in my setup logic! Don't know how I forgot this (another senior moment)!

Small private network!!! Don't install as a Domain! Exta level of complexity that if you don't use or need uses processor cycles and can accumulate a problem that you shoud not even have if you don't use it!

I use all of these in my different networks (except I never use NTFS on my OS drive only on data drives convienient if you have multiple partitions)!

But I never install them initally when I do use them! I always get the OS set up perfectly in a generic basic state, do a drive image and then start adding advanced features one at a time like NTFS of the data drives, then the Domain then active directory etc! At each stage I do a drive Image when it is working perfectly! Untill finally close perfection! Smile!

Finally about not powering up! Bios power managment and ATCPI! Since it is not working properly reverse it or try different settings! If you cain't adjust it out is anoter indicator of a MB problem!

This is getting too long!

Keep us informed!

Mike

11. 2002/09/29
    justinp

Hi, thanks again

I've gone through your instructions - I've disabled the unnecessary items in Device Manager and removed these, how do I disable them in BIOS??

12. 2002/09/29
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin????????

Boot up Hit delete to enter CMOS/BIOS!

Find USB! Should be enable/disble feature!

If it is onboard sound modem etc!

I thought you had been in CMO/BIOS before!

Of course only the items that are there or you can control from there! There may not be an entry for them. So proceed to next step!

You don't understand?

Or I don't understand you????

Mike

13. 2002/09/29
    justinp

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!!

Hooray I no longer receive the ATAPI or DISK errors in the event viewer :D - I didn't notice that you'd posted a link to some info for this, sorry

Unfortunately still getting the **** conflicts, although with your new information I should be able to disable the required bits.

I'm going to do a fresh install when the problems are sorted, how do I delete the current OS, merge the two partitions, then format the OS partition(1 of 4) in FAT32??

Thanks again

Justin

14. 2002/09/29
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

Great!

Before I can advise you here I need more Info!

1st Before we try a new fresh install do we now have the cure for the boot up problem, what exactly was the fix! Because if it was in the OS we will have to repeat it when we reinstall?

If it was in CMOS/Bios we may be OK! But if you diabled something for trouble shooting that you actually need then we will have to deal with that!

2nd The conflicts must be handled! This is a server and must be stable and reliable much much more so than a workstation!

So to tshoot these we still need to to do all the removes and disables untill we have none and the put them back 1 at a time untill we find which is the problem!

3rd Is there data of any kind on this server or are you preparing a new fresh server?

What will this server be "serving" and attached too? Data base programs etc ? Attached to domain or be domain controller? Any kind of Application server such as terminal services?

After you answer these ? then I can better advise!

But when you do prep for install I would fdisk the format all drives under Win98 to the point that it will boot to a dos command prompt. If you have partition magic this could be easier. But still Fdisk 1st!

Then set it to boot from cd and roll! Keep fat32! Reread my other messages and keep it to a simple installation! No fancy or esoteric features just a basic workgroup! On purpose I don't even connect the network cable untill I am stable and ready. Get everything working image and next step!

One step at a time. Do image! Next step and on!

Ok get me the info!

I will hang with you thru this to the end!

Mike

15. 2002/09/30
    justinp

Hi Mike,

Thanks yet again for your reply.

Ok, basically I'm only using Win2k Server for serving ASP for myself(I'm an internet developer), I bought Win2k Pro but found out that it only allowed 1 global.asa per domain and I found a lot of other problems with the ODBC using Access Db's, I also found it generally unstable. So on recommednation of a friend I updated to Win2k Server, all of these problems disappeared after this.

I got rid of the DISK and ATAPI errors by disabling a UDMA option in the BIOS.

The 'Blue screen' bootup problem seemed to fix itself after enabling 'PNP OS installed' - I think :)

I will be using IIS for serving pages for myself, but my system will not be used as a full on Web Server. I have data backed up that I will put back on after a fresh reinstall.

I heard that Partition Magic is not supported on Win2k Server, is this right??

Sorry I should of said that I'm not really experienced in BIOS/CMOS, I will find the USB option and disable this, my modem is the only USB device I'm running at present.

I hope this information helps

Many Thanks

Justin

16. 2002/09/30
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Justin

It is now 8:35 am I am on my way out to work, in fact already late. I am glad you keep me posted! Just remember the time difference! Smile!

I will write back from there in a couple of hrs! Busy 1st thing in morn!

Yes PQ Magic will not run after server is installed but will after a fdisk before install. But fdisk will do everything for you! PQ magic is a little faster and has some higher level disk diags!

Don't bother with the USB unless we still have other problems or the IRQ confilcts! Check those 1st!

The PNP and the UDMA actually could have cleared the conflicts! The IRQ is shared so there is are multiple devices waiting to share! Something did not want to share, selfish huh! Smile! An IRQ conflict is like an auto wreck on a single lane road, sometimes the others can't get by untill the road is clear. So reinstall and recheck the conflicts the road my be clear now!

Remember a basic generic install! All the other addons features can be added later. Since you make you living with this machine you goal is to step it up with backups (drive image ) until it is near perfect! Then keep the last image as a starting place later if things go south again!

I am off to work! Good luck!

Mike

17. 2002/09/30
    justinp

Hi There,

Sorry, forgot about the time difference :D

Ok, I disabled the USB, took out all the PCI cards. No conflicts. Added my sound card, no conflicts, added Firewire card, conflict, took that out and put in my network card, conflict still, moved that down to the next PCI thus leaving the previous one empty,conflicts. All the conflicts are on IRQ11:

System Information report written at: 30/09/2002 14:44:52
    [Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
    IRQ 11 MSI MS-8802/8806 (Nvidia TNT2 Pro)
    IRQ 11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller (Onboard USB 1)
    IRQ 11 VIA USB Universal Host Controller (Onboard USB 2)
    IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
    IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #3

Each time I rebooted with different cards the MSI MS-8802/8806 (Nvidia TNT2 Pro) stayed on IRQ 11

I don't have onboard graphics but have a seperate graphics card: Nvidia TNT2 Pro.

I had to reanable USB to connect to the Net.

I did receive the 'blue screen' on a boot up, it referenced ACPI.sys

Still getting the conflicts unfortunately

Justin

18. 2002/09/30
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

No problem with time diff, no apoligies required, just to remind!

At work now 10:30 AM!

OK go back to a no confilct state and reenable USB 1st then see if it is a cause by itself!

If not put in the other items that will go without conflict! If you put in something that causes a conflict remove it and try something else untill you have only the problem devices to deal with!

REMEMBER THIS! It may be a combo of 2 devices that cause the conflict watch for this! And if so our job just got harder!

But I have never let it beat me yet! May have taken days but ususally there is a way! Maybe even another NIC. Maybe even another modem! Is this a phone modem or cable modem? Don't worry just my thoughts!

I think you would be better off with an external com port modem because you are attaching to an existing standard port. For sure you do not need an internal WINMODEM! I hate the guy that invented this cripeled piece of hardware. Cripled OS is enough! Smile!

The blue screen is most likely from the conflict!

Swaping the slots will not usually fix this!

What I am trying to say here is get all items that cause no problems installed an leave only the problem devices to deal with one at a time!

Then if the sound card is one of the problem devices maybe you can go to device manager to the sound card and tell it to use a didfferent IRQ! Depends on type and model! Go to sound card properties resources irq and see if it will allow other irqs. If so experiment with the ones that it says are allowed!

Typically sound blaster will work on irq 5 depending on other shared device types! You may have to try diff irqs!

OK! Enough ammo for you now! let me know!

OK everyone else out there jump in with any fresh ideas! Newt, Zepher, Brett, BillyBob? Smile!

I think we are on the right track and have to do these steps but maybe I am misinng something so jump in!

Mike

19. 2002/09/30
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Justin

Ignore comments on modem! Came out of Senior moment again reread you original message and see that it is a DSL modem!

Mike

Last edited: 2002/09/30
  20. 2002/09/30
    justinp

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

Ok here we go.......

Disabled USB, loaded up IRQ window got this:

Resource Device
    IRQ 11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

I added in the sound card, this also went to IRQ 11, I added all PCI cards I had just to test and they all used IRQ 11.

I reinstalled the latest Nvidia Drivers for my G Card just to clear any faulty driver problems.

I'm lost on what to do now :confused:

Any ideas??

Justin

21. 2002/09/30
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK!

Justin!

Your last message doesn't say these are conflicts, are they?

It is OK to have several devices that share the same IRQ as long as they are not in conflict!

Your message just says they are using the IRQ not that they are in conflict! Confirm this!

Now if they are not in conflict but you have other problems then we can move on to them!

Understand we don't care how many share the IRQ (within reason anyway) only that they install and have no conflicts!

If we have actually cleared the conflicts we now can more easily trouble shoot other problems!

Exasperating is it not! Smile!

You seem discouraged but we will make it thru it!

I will try to check for you response more often! Still at work 2:25 PM!

ELABORATE on current state!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.