1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Nothing will download

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by blakston6286, 2003/03/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/03/16
    blakston6286 Lifetime Subscription

blakston6286 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank You Alice,
    I have also downloaded the links you provided and will follow instructions, it can't hurt to know more info and run more processes if just to see how they work.
    Thank you again for your time and attention to my predicament.
    Aryan Blakston

2. 2003/03/16
    Alice

Alice Banned

No need to install the DCOM98 or ikernel update if that's what you mean, since those were all possible solutions and you already fixed the problem!

Mike's suggestion to install SpybotS&D, etc, is a good one. I run the Spybot S&D program periodically to make sure I haven't aquired any nasties! I also use it to remove IE cookies and TIF "cookie pointers ".

Happy future installing :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/16

Mike,
    The results of running the downloads you listed for me in Safe mode.
    Spybot found 7 suspects and I deleted them.
    Adware found 189 files to delete
    BHO only had Acrobat Reader
    RegCleaner found 89 items in the do them all mode.
    Easy Clean found 149 unecessary and registry clean cleaned a few.
    W 98& Me WinSock Fix advised me not to run it in Safe mode as I could possibly damage my video card. So I didn't.
    Stinger, & PQ Remove were downloaded but when it came time to run it in Safe Mode they weren't anywhere to be found on my computer.
    TrendSysClean wouldn't let me download without a certain missing file.
    Is it OK just to go to the Stinger site and the Panda site and run the Antivirus without being in SAFE MODE?
    I tried to log on in safe mode to do the scan online but the computer would not let me log online.

5. 2003/03/16
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Smile!

Aryan you cannot connect in safe mode!

Safe mode is a special mode where many things do not load so that things can be fixed.

And yes do them in full mode. But search for these files if you downloaded them they are somewhere. You do not need internet access to run them after d/l.

Don't worry about the Trend. And yes the Panda scan online is good.

Don't do the winsock now that the problem is fixed!

Mike

6. 2003/03/16

Mike,
    OK, I wrote down where the downloads were sent to but I may just find them in normal mode and transfer them all to a particular folder marked fixits.
    Well,,,,,,,,,,,,, we all know why it says beginner for my experience,,,,,,, for a really good reason.
    Thank you for taking all this valuable time to help me thru this long running problem. Everybody has been incredibly patient and informative. Your persistence on a given path is amazing.
    Lonnyjones1 if you are within earshot, Thank You for speaking up, your input was the Jewel in the Crown. Thank You for helping me so successfully.
    Aryan Blakston

7. 2003/03/16
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

Just so that Alice gets fair credit, may I point out that she suggested the delete/rename of the InstallShield engine a complete day earlier.

8. 2003/03/16
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

Aryan Hi
    Im just a bigginer to,,,coodoos go to Alise and mflynn

Remember to turn off av program when installing anything
    Ive never had to (should have) if it is running and there is problems installing something use ctrl alt del to stop the install,
    [if it hangs] and then delete everything in the temporary folder.
    put in trash bin, >>after a restart<<.

Im glad you hung in there--usualy people get the bright idea to reinstall windows> Quick fix< which would not have fixed it in this situation anywho

" "OK, I wrote down where the downloads were sent to but I may just find them in normal mode and transfer them all to a particular folder marked fixits" " "
    Not sure what you mean here --if they are installed dont move them--the shortcut yes not the programs themselves,,

Any-way if you have anymore problems --I think there will be more damadged >stuff< let us know,(hope not) in another post, you might remind this forum of this thread also..

Good luck
    Lon

9. 2003/03/17
    Alice

Alice Banned

Thanks Whitphil.

I still give Lonny credit for speaking up when he did and pointing out the solution, and Mikefor confirming it. The more people pointing to the same fix, the better :)

10. 2003/03/17
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

No Alice you do deserve the credit here.

I who have had complaints that I post too much and posts too long, just skimed your long posts and missed it. You pegged it.

Only when Lonnie put it in short form did I recognise it! Then it hit me like a brick. Like looking everywhere for your keys and they are laying on the coffee table!

Thanks to WhitPhil for pointing this out because only after he did point it out did I look back and see it.

I don't look for credit, my kick is to see problem solved and a happy user.

I will have to say Aryan did a good job of following instructions and stuck to it!

Mike

11. 2003/03/17
    Alice

Alice Banned

Hi Mike,

You are so right about Lonny posting the fix in short form. I'm so glad he spoke up because a short and sweet reply was exactly what was needed. I also tend to post too much and the result can be that the important stuff gets skimmed over.

I agree that the main point is to see problem solved and a happy user
    ...although a little credit and a pat on the back is also nice :D

12. 2003/03/17

Hi Alice,
    I apologize for not recognizing the fix in your posts. I am just a beginner and I had too much information at once to digest and could not see the tree for the forest. As you can see I even lost the downloads Mike gave me because I was trying to do alot of downloading and even tho I wrote down info I can't find some of them in the files they were going into.
    I am the kind of person who is a bit slow, so I need a little info at a time, this is why I am always asking for an exact step by step procedure. So I tend to lean towards one by one trys that are explained how to do it. If one doesn't work then I will try the next one until all avenues are exhausted.
    Maybe when I get more experienced in this medium I will be able to absorb more at a faster rate and see things without everyone having to explain in ultra simple terms. Thank You for the solution, I'm sorry I wasn't astute enough to pick it up. I knew it had to be something with the InstallShield because everything got as far as that and that is the point things went belly up. I wrongly surmised the InstallShield was one of those things that was forbidden to mess with and it was like DOS, a permanent fixture that could not be messed with.
    Thank you for all your help, I hope I will not need it again, but if I do I hope you will peek in, I promise to get better at recognizing and quicker at processing.

Hi Lonnyjones, Thank You again for speaking up in the way you did. Maybe the fact that you are also a beginner helped with the simplicity that was more at my limited level to process.
    I did install the Antivirus fixes Mike gave me but went to look for them in safe mode and they were not in the destination the install info had said they were putting them.
    What I meant by transferring them when I find them is,,,,,,,,I have this folder in My Documents named Computer Fixes. If I download a AV or other diagnostic and fixit programs and I can't send it to that folder on the download, then I look for it after it is downloaded and open and drag and drop it to my desktop. Then I open My Documents,,,,,open Computer Fixes and drag and drop it into that folder, this way everything I need is in one central placefor when I need them.
    I did try to see if reinstalling Windows was an option before, but it wass bit too complicated for my problem since everything else on my computer worked well. I felt it would be overkill......besides it is way too complex for my level of understanding.

Hello WhitPhil,
    Yes,,,,, you are correct Alice was the originator of the solution, and deserves the credit.
    I am in the music business and I can offer this attempt at an analogy. ......There is this perfect singer named Sarah Brightman that is extrodinarilly talented and gifted with perfect pitch and can sing Opera and Pop better than the best of them. Plus she is a stunningly beautiful woman. She has put out about 6 Albums full of amazing timeless work and is well known in Hi End Audio circles.
    Yet the average person has never heard of her, or if they have they still buy Brittany Spears CD's instead. When these consumers get a more sophisticated taste and start looking for incredible music instead of throwaway music they will find Sarah Brightman to be the brilliant link they are looking for. And they will be very thankful she is there to compliment their need for substance.
    Maybe it is a lame analogy but simply put I am presently a very simple man and I need very simple, DETAILED explanations. Hopefully,,,,, someday I will be able to recognize the solutions in the links and know how to process them but at this time I needed everything explained in detail, in a simple way so I could "get it ", I meant no insult to Alice by thanking Lonnyjones1, nothing was implied or intended to disrespect in this case.

MikeFlynn,
    Thank You for commanding my attention with your persistence on a given path. It is very easy to stick with a process if the person guiding you has a let's solve this nomatter what attitude. The last time I posted this the contacts kind off drifted off after they realized I needed SPECIAL handling and there would have to be some explaining in a level they were at MANY years ago. Helping someone who is at a lower level of understanding than ourselves is very exasperating and that is why there are so few very good teachers. Thank you for recognizing my level and doing what you could to reach me so we could be succesful. Without your guidance I would certainly have missed the solution.
    Thank You for your understanding and willingness to help, I very much appreciate your time and attention.
    Thank You all for your support and wonderful Community Spirit I am very nonored to be in such company. I look forward to being able to contribute like you do in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Aryan Blakston,,,blakston6286

Last edited: 2003/03/17
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.