1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved No NWS radar after latest update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Blueberry, 2021/06/13.

1. 2021/06/13
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member Thread Starter

3 of my PC's updated this week and the update is notable for putting the current weather ("news and interests") on the taskbar. With this update, the National Weather Service radar stopped working. It won't display anything in Edge, Chrome or Opera on all 3 PC's. What did MS do this time? Any ideas on how to fix or am I going to have to undo the update everywhere?

Windows 10 Pro
    Version 2001
    OS Build 19041.1052
    Experience 120.2212.2020.0

2. 2021/06/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Start by Turing OFF the New News Item.
    Right click on Taskbar-> Select News and Interests-> Turn Off

the National Weather Service radar -> Is that a browser extension? If so, is it turned ON?

MrBill likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2021/06/13
    Blueberry

I did turn off the news and interests immediately with no effect. It is not a browser extension but I don't know what it's running on now - it used to be flash and they switched many months ago to whatever is in use now, at radar.weather dot gov
    Just tested and we can also add Firefox to the list of browsers that won't run the radar anymore. UNLESS it is a NWS thing, but that seems unlikely as they usually will put up a notice if they are having issues. I have sent them a message but not heard back yet.

5. 2021/06/13
    Blueberry

Weirdness - maybe it WAS a coincidental NWS thing. It is now working on the 2 PC's I am able to check now and all browsers. I'll mark it solved later if working all around

6. 2021/06/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Your problem may have been due to the MS update REMOVING the Legacy EDGE and replacing it with the NEW EDGE browser.