1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

No images in LiveMail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by retiredlearner, 2015/07/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2015/07/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

My brother frequently sends me emails which may include photos/images. Quite often, I get the LM which has the text but only shows a blank image/photo frame with the little square box in the upper left corner of the frame.
    No matter how long I wait - the image does not load. This only happens with his LM to me. I have always used Mozilla TB (up to date version) and I feel it must be the way LM handles images/photos or the way he sends it to me.
    His OS is W7 Pro 64bit Toshiba Satellite laptop.
    Any suggestions? :confused: Neil.

2. 2015/07/02
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Open up WLM and to the top left and click on the down arrow and go to Options/Safety and then the Security Tab. Take the check out of Block images and other external content in HTML email then click Apply then OK. See if that works. I also have the check removed from Do not allow attachments to be saved etc. but that is just me. Never had a problem as I don't open up what I don't know it is.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/02
    retiredlearner

Thanks MrBill, I'll have to do a TeamViewer with him and see what settings he has currently and adjust accordingly.
    He's 18 months older than me and has no patience with new Technology. It's very hard to explain over the phone and he usually ends up clicking on the wrong button.
    I'll report back as soon as I can. Neil.

5. 2015/07/02
    MrBill

This should be set this way on your PC.

6. 2015/07/03
    retiredlearner

MrBill, I use Mozilla TB for email and gmail as Server. I don't use WLM at all - too many problems with IE and Outlook/Hotmail/LiveMail for me. Neil.

7. 2015/07/03
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I just sent myself a test email with an embedded image, and as an attachment (using Outlook 07), and both images were viewable in Live Mail.

For what it's worth, my settings are just the opposite of what MrBill suggested.

Seems like I recall another BBS member that had the same problem as you described, Neil, and I think the problem was traced back to the way the image was sent.

Update: I just sent myself another test email (with an attached photo and embedded too) via Live Mail, and I could view both images.

Last edited: 2015/07/03
  8. 2015/07/03
    retiredlearner

Thanks James, the LM was sent to me and received through gmail/Thunderbird.
    It happens quite often from my bro' so I suspect it's the way he's sending it.
    I have not been impressed with MS over the years regarding images/photos sent using Outlook/Express/hotmail and the number of users complaining about just the RED X and no pictures.
    This has been a problem since Win 98 right through to the latest OS. It would appear that if the sender makes the appropriate setting to send images/photos, then Windows OS reverts back to Default the next time. :mad:
    As I said earlier, I've used Mozilla because I've never had trouble/complaints sending emails with images/photos. Neil.

9. 2015/07/03
    MrBill

That has a lot to do with how MS sets it up and that can be changed. The did that to protect the receiver from Viruses and Malware. Lots of bad things were sent as pictures or photos for years. MS had them blocked. This has been this way since back in the Win95 days with OE and has been carried forward to WLM. MS Outlook is also this way. Don't know about the Outlook.com which used to be Hotmail as I don't use it.

That is why I posted what I did. After I re read your post, I realized that HE had WLM and not you. Sometimes I read to fast. :)

10. 2015/07/03
    retiredlearner

I'm the Mozman MrBill. I tried Eudora back in the 1998 period and then used Outlook and Hotmail and finally settled for Thunderbird and have been so since version 1.xxx.
    My bro' hasn't contacted me yet so I'm still wondering what he's up to. Neil.

11. 2015/07/04
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Forgot to mention that I used Yahoo accounts for these previous tests.

Neil, I just sent a few more test emails, but this time I sent the test messages via Hotmail and Gmail. All messages were sent with an embedded photo and an attached photo, and I sent all messages (via Live Mail) to my Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail accounts, and the message were received (via Live Mail) with no problems to speak of.

I have multiple Yahoo accounts in case some of this sounds confusing. Most Yahoo mail is sent & received via Outlook 2007, but the accounts mention above are handled with Live Mail.

12. 2015/07/04
    retiredlearner

And I thought using TB email sent through gmail was complex!!!
    I suppose it's like using the cheap cellphone cards which shuttle all over to get the cost down. but the call gets there in the end. ;) Neil.

13. 2015/07/05
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I have about a dozen email addresses :eek:, so I may need to install Thunderbird to help me out. :D

Getting back to your thread, you may need to seek help on the Microsoft Live Mail forums. I think the problem is either an incorrect setting in Live Mail, or maybe the ISP is blocking jpegs.

Last edited: 2015/07/05
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.