1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved New Thunderbird Password Problem

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by derfsch, 2016/09/20.

1. 2016/09/20
    derfsch

derfsch Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Recently I updated to the latest (45.3) Thunderbird. In the setup process I got hungup in the section requiring my name, email address, and password. The resulting message : "Configuration could not be verified. "

I received this message for a series of passwords, after clicking Done, and alternating the IMAP or POP3 choices the Configuration message continued. I'm at a loss as to how to overcome this problem. Any help would appreciated.

2. 2016/09/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Who is the email provider and did you double check their site for the correct SMTP/POP setting etc?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/20
    derfsch

The email provider is comcast.net. I'll try to get to their site but this is new to me. Thanks for your reply.

5. 2016/09/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

1. Were you previously using Thunderbird? If so, updating should not have you go through the account setup process.

2. If this is the first time using Thunderbird then it will prompt you to setup your mail accounts.

You should decide to use IMAP or POP. IMAP stores all messages on the Comcast mail server and Thunderbird connects and synchronizes with the server. IMAP is good if use several different devices, making your messages identical on them all (comp, phone, laptop, etc).

POP email downloads the messages from the Comcast mail server and Thunderbird stores the messages on your device. The account can be set to "leave copies of messages on server" or "delete messages from server after X days" or "keep messages on server forever ". If only use 1 device then POP is what you should use.

Comcast & Thunderbird IMAP Setup
    Comcast & Thunderbird POP Setup

6. 2016/09/21
    derfsch

7. 2016/09/21
    derfsch

Steve and TonyT, ............ Thank you both for taking the time to answer my request for help. Each of you provided access to Comcast's articles which were most informative and provided solutions to my problem,

virginia likes this.