1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by andythebeagle, 2014/01/11.

1. 2014/01/11
    andythebeagle

andythebeagle Inactive Thread Starter

Hi folks, I'm new here and was told about this forum by the Mozilla FireFox support people.

What brought me to this point is the realization that I don't know as much as I tend to act like. I've had an issue lately that has grown out of proportion ever since I decided to make an adjustment to my monitor resolution. Ya see, being an old man, the eyesight ain't so good.

My trip here has taken me thru everything from an update to .NET, a driver search, Adobe Shockwave and Flash Player, Silverlight, VLC plugin, and a whole bunch of other stuff, all related to video.

Firefox started crashing in flames, Silverlight won't load into most browsers, Flash can't make up its mind and all has started since a Windows Support guy did a hands on update to .NET 4.1.5 that I was unable to install due to a register error. Maybe I didn't even need it??? After all, it did say it was NOT critical.

More will come out, I'm sure. What I think I want to do is downgrade the .NET. However, I don't want to compound things any more.

2. 2014/01/11
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi andythebeagle, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Feel free to post in the appropriate forum and you will get the assistance that you need.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/11
    andythebeagle

Thanx so much. It won't be immediately, but I will. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

5. 2014/01/12
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Welcome to the BBS. Enjoy your stay here.
    Have you checked for Viruses, Malware/Spyware on your computer? If not, that would be a good starting point. Broni in the Malware section is great at what he does and will have you clean as a new whistle if you just stick with him.

6. 2014/01/12
    andythebeagle

I've been chasing this for a couple weeks and have tried everything I know short of re installing win 7. That's next. However, I'm willing to listen. Just a reminder, I'm short tempered right now because of this ****.

7. 2014/01/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Welcome to the forums...

And yeah, if you're short tempered just now, chill out before you ask for assistance :)

8. 2014/01/12
    andythebeagle

I'm more frustrated than anything. I made my living troubleshooting and repairing CDC and IBM mainframe systems and peripherals for about 15 years and don't remember ever seeing something devolve as badly as this has. Problem is, it's all software related and I'm lost in the woods with software. I can use it, but don't ask me how it works.

I'm so ready to just re install Win 7 but I have so many files and haven't figured out which ones will be lost when I do. I want to save as much as possible. I'm not making a move for a while.

I'm sittin' here tryin' to upload to YouTube. All nite long I've had trouble with video plugins in every browser I have. IE, FF, Chrome, Opera. Silverlight, flash player, shockwave, DRM messages on HULU, Netflix, Amazon, flash won't load in DailyMotion, and only 1 of my video encoders will start up. My entire machine is sat up to process videos and upload. This has become THE bane of my existence. I'm ready to start pullin' my hair out. Ain't got much left. I never had a problem until the >NET 4.1.5 was installed and then, slowly, everything fell apart. Tonight, Explorer has crashed about 10 times and my context menu (right click) has turned totally black and can not be read.

9. 2014/01/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Andy, I understand your frustration, but you do need to calm down a little. Sleep on it and ask for assistance in the correct forum when you're in a better frame of mind.

Things aren't as bad as they appear and I'm sure help will be available.

10. 2014/01/12
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Welcome to the forum, Andy!

11. 2014/01/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Andy - Welcome to WindowsBBS :)

Your frustration is understandable, but from the head of the forum .....

12. 2014/01/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi andythebeagle, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :)
    I hope we can get you sorted when you Post in the appropriate Forum as Pete and Wildfire have noted. Neil.

13. 2014/01/12
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member