1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

New Layout

Discussion in 'Site Comments & Suggestions' started by Arie, 2008/06/30.

1. 2008/07/01
    Geri Lifetime Subscription

Geri Inactive Alumni

Hi
    I agree with the dead space on the left side, quite distracting, and the forum or posts in the forum chosen should cover the whole board when viewing or at leased centered on the board with dead space on both sides.
    The way it looks now gives a cramped feeling.
    The dead space draws your eyes to it and you lose focus on the forum or posts you are viewing.

The forum links should be the main focus on the boards front page, not pushed off to the side. keep them small if you like it that way, but it should be the first thing you view when you come here.then the unread posts below that and then the news articles.

Geri

2. 2008/07/01
    shotsi

shotsi Inactive

I like the new layout...but, then, I like new stuff...

shotsi:)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/07/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I like the old format better...

5. 2008/07/01
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member

Whew! I thought my computer was acting up when I saw the changed layout! :) I have to agree with several others here in stating they prefer the old format.

I have this BBS saved in my favorites and when I first saw the new layout I was almost confused as to how to go about reading/finding all the new posts?:confused: Fortunately the "new posts" tab is still available for use!

That main page is too busy for a beginner like me! But as someone else commented, would the new format keep me away? Never! I truly enjoy reading on this BBS!!

6. 2008/07/01
    Geri Lifetime Subscription

Geri Inactive Alumni

Hi
    That is much better IMO. :D :)

7. 2008/07/01
    mickzer

mickzer Well-Known Member

Ditto.

mickzer.

8. 2008/07/01
    James

James Inactive

Liked the old format much better for the essential reason (as JohnB) put it, I don't want to have to wade through hundreds of posts to find only the ones I want to read. I try to read four folders and the old format let me know instantly if there were new posts in any of those. Now there is no indication and so the only way I have is to either go through all the posts on the right or open those four folders to see if any new posts were made only to frequently discover that it was wasted effort on my part. Sorry. Just don't care for it. :(

9. 2008/07/02
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

There's a work around for that. Open the forum & from the Forum Tools drop down choose Subscribe to This Forum. You can either choose to get email notification of new posts or not, but you can then go into your User CP & see which forums got new posts since you last visited.

10. 2008/07/02
    James

James Inactive

Okay. I'll try that.

11. 2008/07/03
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Didn't I see somewhere that you could remove the left column from displaying when viewing forums?

I can't find it.

I land in Gen Sec forum and don't like to see all the other forums listed. Nor do I like seeing it when reading threads.

Last edited: 2008/07/03
  12. 2008/07/03
    Admin.

13. 2008/07/03
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

14. 2008/07/03
    scout321x Contributing Member

scout321x Inactive

For years I have been coming here daily to look at issues and occasionally logging on to express my views. I even paid money to "belong" here.

I do not log on any more unless I want to post something and in at least the Mozilla forum I don't post at all any more because there is someone that "lives" there but often isn't much help at all but he really loves to "see/hear" the sound of his own voice. Telling folks that he hasn't encountered the same or similar problem others isn't constructive.

However, I will go on record here for once to say I don't care for this new format. PERIOD! It has already been stated over and over that it is a waste of space (especially for those of us still suffering on slow dial up connections) but so far to no avail. I will be coming here less and less as time goes on as it doesn't appears that expressing a negative view here makes any difference.

15. 2008/07/04
    Admin.

As posted several times, the layout is a choice option: Choose Your Navigation Style.

16. 2008/07/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

I actually liked the old forum layout better just because it wasn't as busy as the new layout is. IMO the home page has to many things going on all at once. The old layout was much simpler. The thing I do like about the new layout is that I can jump from different topics without having to go back to the home page. If the home page was simpler then I could live with the new layout. Thats my opinion anyway. :)

17. 2008/07/10
    jorjab Lifetime Subscription

jorjab Well-Known Member

I appear to be in the minority, but I prefer the new layout. Much easier to use and see quickly what I want.