1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

New IE7 causes problems

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by past1999, 2006/10/25.

1. 2006/10/27
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Bill Castner--C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll is the address for the IE "blue e" Favicon--in other words the default icon.
    And per my last post, I cannot get any address to stick in the " "Look for Icons in this file" line. IE just changes it back to C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll before I have clicked the two OK's to effect an address change.

2. 2006/10/27
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Bill Castner--I meant to comment on this earlier.
    I think you were talking about the folder where IE accepts downloaded Favicons.
    Your suggestion actually opens the Downloaded Program Files folder, which I believe is where downloaded BHO's are stored.
    As mentioned, Favicons are in Content.IE5. And that, indeed, is a difficult folder to find and open. :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/27
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I mean to say view files.

While the favicons appear in that listing, and are in fact stored in the TIF, they are stored in an NTFS stream (if using NTFS) and therefore not cleared when you clear the TIF.

5. 2006/10/28
    JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Inactive

Welshjim,

It is a bit laborious, but for the sites for which I had set special icons and which IE 7 changed, I changed them back manually, as follows:

In Windows explorer, navigate to your favorites folder. Right click on the favorite for which you want to change the icon, click properties, click change icon. In the window that opens, click browse. Navigate to the folder where you have the favicon you want to use, select the icon, click open, OK, apply, OK. Right click again on the favorite, general tab, check the read only box, click apply, OK.

IE 7 will no longer change the icon in the favorites list, although it will show either the site's favicon (if it has one) or the default IE 7 icon in the address bar and on the tab.

6. 2006/10/28
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

JRosenfeld,

Exactly.

This I still cannot reproduce:
    Now the Change Icon can find and allow you to select icons, if available, from .ICO, .DLL and .EXE files; and I do not doubt that the IE "blue e" can be found in url.dll (and shell32.dll I would guess as well). I just cannot reproduce why the Change Icon applet is not working for Welshjim; and why the default location for icons in the applet cannot be changed either.

7. 2006/10/28
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Seeing as this is an IE problem, thought I'd add this, which is somewhat relevant to the discussion:
    YIKES!! :eek:
    SUMMARY
    Repairing Win XP w\IE 7

8. 2006/10/28
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Up through RC1 there was a "bug" in IE 7 that made IE 6 dysfunctional if a repair reinstallation of XP was done.

This "bug" was corrected in IE 7 Final. This KB is no longer true for IE 7 Final: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

However, the IE Team recommends that an uninstallation of IE 7 be done if possible.

If you cannot do a normal boot into XP so as to be able to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall IE 7 you have some options:

Uninstall IE 7: Alternative method for Safe Mode, or Safe Mode w/Command, or Normal mode, if Add/Remove Programs does not show an IE 7 entry
    Code:
    %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe < -- Final
    %windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe  <-- Beta 3
    %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.exe  <-- Beta 1 
    %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe  <-- Beta 2p
    %windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe  <-- Beta 2pmx
    %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe  <-- Beta 2 

Uninstall IE 7: Recovery Console Method
    Code:
    batch %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.txt < -- Final
    batch %windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.txt  <-- Beta 3
    batch %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.txt  <-- Beta 1 
    batch %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.txt  <-- Beta 2p
    batch %windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.txt  <-- Beta 2pmx
    batch %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.txt  <-- Beta 2

9. 2006/10/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Well, the time has come for me to bite the bullet on Favicons and delete my cache. I have changed some Favorites with Favicons to Read Only, more or less as J Rosenfeld has suggested. However, with 500 Favorites marked with Favicons I just do not have the time to change all to Read Only. I will report what happens.
    The address C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll can be viewed only in the Change Icon| "Look for Icons in this file" line.

10. 2006/10/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Any ideas yet on restoring "Copy Shortcut" to the right click|Context menu for Favorites in IE7?

11. 2006/10/28
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Great news Bill, thanks for the info. Do you perhaps have a link to explain the bug being repaired? Or a revision?

Or did I miss it on the link we both posted? I'd like to be sure and update the thread over at my place with the proper info.

Thanks again for the good code work.

12. 2006/10/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Favicons in IE7

I am totally embarrassed. :eek:
    I have apparently caused a mountain where not even a molehill exisited.
    I first used the command attrib +r "%userprofile%\favorites\*.url" /s which Bill Castner suggested. That changed all Favorites to Read Only.
    Then I used System Security Suite, which I normally use to clean out TIF and rebooted. All my exisiting Favicons were retained!!:p
    As a test I unchecked the Read Only boxes on a few of the Favorites, again used System Security Suite and rebooted. Again all Favicons were retained, even those whose Favorites were not Read Only.
    So there is no problem retaining the link of a Favorite to its Favicon even though a Favorites' "Look for Icons in this file" line reads C:\WINDOWS\system32\url.dll . (In IE6 the "Look for Icons in this file" line would read C:\Favicons\xxx.ico when a Favicon was set. Otherwise the Favicon would only last until the next cleaning of TIF.)
    So all is well. I am sorry.

Is anyone still willing to suggest a fix for the missing "Copy Shortcut" option on the Favorites right click|context menu?

13. 2006/10/28
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

TeMerc,

The link I have is NDA.
    But the information is not.

(If you have a cache of mspsectalk, see Robear Dyer, 10/20/06 for the MSFT reference and details). I do not think I can say anything more directly than that in this Forum.

A mvpsectalk lister.

Regards.

Last edited: 2006/10/28
  14. 2006/10/28
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Jim
    I added an open in new window to my favorites context menu when I had IE6 and it still works for me. However, mines slightly different then the one you've posted here. Try this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\Use New Window\command
    @=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %1

You can change the Use New Window to whatever you want of course. It was just my choice of words at the time. Give it a try. Works for me.

15. 2006/10/29
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Thanks Bill, that will do just fine. I'll try and track it down. Appreciate the info details.

16. 2006/10/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Zander--Thanks so much for trying to give me a Use New Window option.
    I created the following .reg file
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\Use New Window\command
    @=rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %1

and clicked on Merge. The message indicated success, but when I went into the Registry the following (start with the Shell folder) shows what I saw.
    No change from before. (I wonder what is being changed by all the .reg files I have tried.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell]
    @=" "
    "CLSID "= "{FBF23B40-E3F0-101B-8488-00AA003E56F8} "
    "flags "=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\New Window]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\New Window\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\open]
    "CLSID "= "{FBF23B40-E3F0-101B-8488-00AA003E56F8} "
    "LegacyDisable "=" "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\open\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\print]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\print\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mshtml.dll,PrintHTML \ "%1\" "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\printto]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\printto\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mshtml.dll,PrintHTML \ "%1\" \ "%2\" \ "%3\" \ "%4\" "

Have I mentioned that I learned of a pretty easy work around for Open in New Window? Hold down Shift and then left click on the Favorite.

The fix I really need now is to add "Copy Shortcut" or "Copy URL" to the right click Favorite context menu.

17. 2006/10/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

You typed: %l
    You want: %1

In these two keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortc ut\shell\New Window\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortc ut\shell\open\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l "

[

18. 2006/10/29
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Also, the path part of the regfile should be in brackets. Yours looks like this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortc ut\shell\Use New Window\command

Should be like this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortc ut\shell\Use New Window\command]

If all else fails, add it manually using regedit. That way you no it gets done right. ;)

19. 2006/10/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Zander--I used a .reg file
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\\InternetShortcut\shell]
    @=" "
    "flags "=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\shell\Open Favorite in New Window]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\\InternetShortcut\shell\Open Favorite in New Window\command]
    @= "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %1"

That added the key "Open Favorite in New Window" to the Registry. However, the entry "Open Favorite in New Window" still does not appear in the context menu for a Favorite when I right click on a Favorite in the left panel of an IE7 window opened by clicking the Star in the Toolbar. (I believe you still run IE6, so may not know about the Star. It is what used to be the word Favorite in the Toolbar in IE6.)
    The .reg file does add the entry to the context menu for a Favorite when I click on the word Favorites in the Menubar. But I already had Open in New Window for that. The left panel Favorites in IE7 seem to work differently.
    I think I will just be satisfied with holding down Shift+left click on a left panel Favorite.

I am still hoping there is a way to add Copy Shortcut or Copy URL to the left panel Favorites' context menu. I have Open URL in the context menu for the Favorites list from the Menubar, but I think that came about because I used the program CopyURL. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/copyurl.html That program is also ineffective for the left panel Favorites.

P.S. I can see no difference in performance whether I use %1 or %l in those Registry keys. One of the ones which I have not meddled with (Open) seem to have had %l installed by IE7 whereas Print uses %1.

20. 2006/10/30
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

It is not a performance issue.
    For any call with a parameter %1 will work and %l will not.

21. 2006/10/30
    JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Inactive

I can confirm what Welshjim is saying: The open in new window command appears in the context menu if you right click on a favorite in the favorites folder in Windows Explorer (same as opening favorites from menu bar in IE7), but not in the favorites center side bar favorites list in IE7. The context menu entries there seem to be embedded in some dll file, as they do not show up explicitly in regedit.