1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Network problem concerning cable modems/network cards

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by loggie93, 2002/01/21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/21
    loggie93

loggie93 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi everybody, I am new and this is my first post so bear with me. I am currently using a cable modem. Yesterday I tried to log on to my internet provider but received a "this page cannot be displayed" cannot find DNS server. I talked with my internet provider and my computer support center. Both of them insist it the other ones problem. My internet provider says they can see my modem but cannot see my network card. My computer support center talked me through their series of questions and said that my network card was fine. I cannot release my IP address and I get an error message when I try to renew the IP address. I reloaded the communications portion of Windows 98 to see if that would help. I am stuck. I don't know where to go from here. Is there any way to find out where the problem is before buying a new cable modem or network card? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. 2002/01/21
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I ask the following due to similiar problems in the old BBS. ( Modem - NIC conflict. ) Which more than likely will show no conflicts in the Device Manager.

Has the Cable Modem worked at all ?

Do you have and Internal PCI Modem still installed. ? If so you may need to remove it.

Or if you happen to have a builtin ( part of the Motherbaord ) modem you may need to go to the Device Manager and disable it.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2002/01/21

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/21
    Kevin Lifetime Subscription

Kevin Well-Known Member

What error messages do you get when you release/renew?

5. 2002/01/22
    loggie93

I will try to answer both of your questions. Kevin, the error I get when trying to release and renew the IP is "DHCP Server unavaliable renewing adapter ". Billybob, I have had the same cable modem for over two years now and it has worked fine. I was online in the morning and in the evening I could not get connected. I do have an internal modem which has not seemed to conflict in the past. I don't want to use my computer tech support because it costs to much for them to tell me its not the network card. My internet provider seems to be very helpful. They told me to take my cable modem back to them and they would swap it with a new one, I am renting it by the month, so I think I will try that tomorrow. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I am a disabled vet and my computer is a very important part of my day. I am relegated to using my Wife's dial up access and after having cable access for the last two years it seems like I am surfing through mud. Thanks again.

6. 2002/01/22

Kevin Well-Known Member

"DHCP Server unavaliable renewing adapter" means the network card is unable to acquire an IP address from the cable modem. I am assuming there are no other devices between the PC and the cable modem such as a router and that when you run WINIPCFG you are selecting the correct adapter. Selecting the NIC and not the PPP Adapter. The problem can be with the card, but more likely a problem with the modem or provider.

Definitely take the provider up on the offer to replace the modem.

7. 2002/01/22

BillyBob Inactive

Well having worked for two years and then quit leaves my idea out in the cold where it belongs.

It does appear that it might be the Modem. And hopefully not the card.

But, I have also had a cable plug work loose between the card and the ( in my case ) hub.

Selecting the NIC and not the PPP Adapter.

Now Kevin. :) Who would make a slight error like that OTHER THAN ME ??? :)

Man, do I ever agree with that. VERY thick mud too. My Daughter has a Dial-Up and when I am working on her machine I have to point-n-click and WALK WAY. :)

BillyBob

8. 2002/01/22
    Tekguy

Tekguy Guest

One Question

reboot your computer. run winipcfg. Does your machine have an IP.

If so is it: 168.254.xxx.xxx something along those lines. I have found that im most cases if there is an IP like that there then your computer can see a network and see a dhcp server but there is a settings issue.

I have experimented heavily with DHCP in the last few weeks. I have found that on windows 9X/ME machines that if your get an apia address (168.25.xxx.xxx) then you are in communications with the network...

Take the modem (heck if they want to give you new equipment for free then go for it) But i am curious if you had the apia number....

Tek

9. 2002/01/22

Kevin Well-Known Member

10. 2002/01/22
    loggie93

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. It turned out to be a bad cable modem. I am now back in the familiar arms of high-speed internet surfing. Thanks again and if I have any other problems I will be sure to ask.

11. 2002/01/22

BillyBob Inactive

Thank you very much for the good news.

12. 2002/01/22

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.