1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape Mail Access

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by Bill McCance, 2005/02/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/20
    Bill McCance

Bill McCance Inactive Thread Starter

I've looked at the threads posted here and can't find anything quite the same.

I am unable to access my netscape.net mail account. I was having no problems until I bought a new PC and have been unable to access the mail account from it. I originally tried from IE and when that was unsuccessful I downloaded netscape 7.2 and tried using that. Still no success. I reconnected my old PC and managed to get into it from there. Yet still unable to use with my new system.

I even tried disabling my firewall and had no success doing that. Even trying to set up a new account all that happens is when I click on the mail icon on the netmail home web page it seems to lop back onto itself.

I've taken the hard drive out of the old PC and installed it in the new one. No joy.

Old PC Netscape 6.0 Windows ME 1Gb Pentium III
    New PC Netscape 7.2 Windows XP Home 3.0 Gb Pentium IV

All advice gratefully received

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. 2005/02/20
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Welcome to the Forum, Bill McCance!

Bill,

Netscape Webmail is now owned by AOL. It has undergone some improvements, but nothing to shout about.

Check your Cookie Acceptance policy in:
    Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security | Cookies

Ensure that you're not blocking cookies
    Also ensure you're not blocking any Netscape or AOL-related cookies on the Cookie Sites tab in the Cookies Manager.
    Webmail is a real pain at times, and sometimes down at inopportune times.

I gave up trying to use the Webmail some time ago, other than for testing purposes. I just tried to create a new account and experienced the same problem you describe, so I feel that the problem is at the AOL end...

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/20
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I know that some people have had problem accessing netscape.net addresses set up in Netscape mail client. I have also heard that some people had problems at the website, as well. That would be the only way to access it from IE.
    I have three working accounts, and two of them are set up in Netscape mail.
    But, I am using Mozilla1.7.5. So, I tried. I have so I can do this right now.
    I have Tab to open: http://home.netscape.com and the tab opens correctly but the mail or my Netscape do nothing, and eventually tell me that home.netscape.com cannot be found. Mind you that I opened the site which could not be found. So I just type "netscape.com ", and that turned up as http://www.netscape.com It looks identical to the not found critter, but as I go into Mail, I get the sign on screen, and into mail ( http://ncmail.netscape.com/welcome.adp ). After logging out I entered http://ncmail.netscape.com which brought the log in screen. Anyway all three addresses were available and accessible.
    I don't know what is the moral of the story, but don't rely on bookmarks or anything like it, but start with the basics, i.e. netscape.com.
    To make things interesting I did end up with unretrievable website. May be my cookie got stale, but there is something wrong here.
    I will keep you posted if I have any update, and, you too Bill.

5. 2005/03/01
    Bill McCance

Bill McCance Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Ramona and Westside for your replies.

I've tried unblocking cookies and all sorts of things but to no avail. I find it very strange as I have never had any real problem with netscape and I'e been using it for several years.

What can possibly be stopping me logging in? My virus checker is up to date also. You would have thought that if the problem was with Netscape (AOL) they'd have fixed it by now. If you monitor the status messages on the bottom of your screen as you try to log in you will see some kind of error message.

If you or anyone has or gets an idea, I'm all ears.

Bill

:rolleyes:

6. 2005/03/01
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Bill,
    there is no connection with the length of time you have been using Netscape, and your problems. Rules change all the time, and the latest silly one is that if you have not been using your account for 30 days, you are out.
    I just checked my mail of one of my accounts.
    So, is your problem signing on at netscape.com? I have only one explanation, i.e. that 30 days may have elapsed. I hope that you were not using the account for something important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.