1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape 7.0 Problems

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by KevinB52379, 2002/09/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/09/16
    oscar$

oscar$ Inactive

I have been following along on this thread but I've run into a small problem. I am unable to open any file with the ".js" extension. I have Win 2k Pro with service pack2. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can edit this type of file? Thanks

2. 2002/09/16
    Brooks

Brooks Inactive

It is just a text file with a .js extension. I just use notepad when I edit them.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/09/16
    oscar$

oscar$ Inactive

Thanks for enlightenening me. I really appreciate the helpful hints in this forum.

5. 2002/09/16
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi oscar$,

Have you tried opening Notepad, File|Open, then browse to your Profiles:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\profilename\xxxxxxxx.slt\prefs.js

I really know very little about XP, but I do know that the Profiles folder is Hidden, and Hidden Files must be enabled:

Open up your Control Panel
    Double-click on Folder Options
    Click on the "View" tab
    Place a checkmark next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders "
    Uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types "
    and
    "Hide Protected Operating System Files "
    Click on "Apply "

HTH,

Ramona :D

6. 2002/09/17
    oscar$

oscar$ Inactive

Thanks Ramona. I had no trouble getting to the prefs.js file, I just didn't know what kind of file it was (or how to open it to edit it). But Notepad worked fine and the improvements I've read about here are now installed and working very well! Thanks again to everyone for their unselfish willingness to share their knowledge with others. I hope I can help someone down the line too.

7. 2002/09/17
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

Oscar,

It is recommended that you put the any custom settings in the user.js file when possible. The prefs.js is more "profile specific" than most people would believe (requires manual editing to move to another account) while the user.js usually has little to none profile specific info included. You can also add comments to the user.js like so:

// this line is a comment, describing the below preference, for example
    user_pref( "some.preference.here ");

tranquilo

8. 2002/09/18
    Alice

Alice Banned

tranquilo, Ramona: about prefs.bak

I uninstalled Mozilla 1.0rc3 and installed Mozilla 1.0.1 today. I wanted to get the securiyt issues resolved and I didn't want to wait for the NS7 CD-rom.

I had problems with the preferences screen freezing up so I ended up deleting the prefs.js (as wll as user.js) in my profile folder (I did keep the other profile files from Moz1.0rc3). I had to re-set all of my preferences including mail and news accounts but that seems to have done the trick as far as automatic backups of prefs.js to prefs.bak when closing Mozilla.

9. 2004/06/24
    teric

teric Inactive

10. 2004/06/24
    teric

teric Inactive

Greetings:
    I was directed to this forum a few days ago and found this particular msg interesting because I try to get rid of all useless info.
    If I go tp .js, prefs, cache I get this:
    Cache_001_ 95KB
    Cache_002_ 6KB
    Cache_003_ 4KB
    Cache_MAP_ 132KB
    plus a long list of alpha-numeric identifiers such as
    0182D4B1do1
    050C548Ado1
    I can open _001 with notepad and it has a ton of stuff in it.
    I don't know how to open the other cache items. I opened a few of the alphanumeric with Netscape and a lot of them seem to be images. For example,one is a banner for Amazon
    If I go to .slt and .bak I
    get exactly the same thing.
    My question is: can I delete all this without doing harm? It may be I am asking a question you have already answered but I want to be sure. I am a senior with limited skills and I just don't know enough about this to know if I am messing up my computer.
    Thanks, Teric

11. 2004/06/25
    Ramona

Welcome to the Forum, teric!

Hi teric,

I also like to keep things neat and tidy on my PC, so understand your interest in the thread.

You can safely delete the entire Cache folder located in your *.slt folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\profilename\xxxxxxxx.slt

If you will read the Sticky at the top of the Forum:
    Preventive Browser Maintenance
    it will give you a guideline on how to keep your browser maintained for ultimate performance.

Ramona

12. 2004/06/25
    teric

teric Inactive

Ramona:
    Thanks very much for replying so quickly. If I understand correctly, those alphanumeric items will be deleted as well. Does the same procedure apply to *.js ?
    Another similar question: in *.dat there are a lot of files related to Symantec.For example I have VIRSCAN 1 thu 7. Scrolling down, these same numbers appear repeatedly. It almost seems Symantec adds to the folder every time I scan. Is this essential material?
    Thanks again for your kind help.
    Teric

13. 2004/06/26
    Ramona

teric,

You can safely delete the entire Cache folder. I haven't looked in my Cache folder in years, so trust me it's safe to delete the "whole thing ". ;)

The history.dat file is just that, your History files, or those sites you have visited since the last time you deleted that file. You can view your History with Ctrl+H. It is safe to delete this file.

Do not delete any *.js file. The prefs.js file contains your Profile settings, and that's why I stress backing up your Profiles folder in the above Sticky "Preventive Browser Maintenance ". In the event the prefs.js file should become corrupt, you can simply replace it with the backup.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Ramona

14. 2004/06/27
    teric

teric Inactive

Hi,Ramona:
    Your help is much appreciated. A problem I have with using a computer is the fear of doing something wrong and causing a disaster. Your advice regarding *.js prevented me from doing just that. Thanks.
    I do delete History files regularly.
    I'm glad a newsletter referred to this BB because it is extremely helpful - even without a specific question it is interesting and educational to simply browse.
    Regards, Teric

15. 2004/06/28
    Ramona

Hi teric,

I can certainly relate to your fear, as I felt the same way when I first started using the Internet. Keep on lurking on this BBS, and you will begin to absorb some of the great information that flows in and out of here.

Cheers!

Ramona

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.