1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Netscape 7.0 Problems

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by KevinB52379, 2002/09/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/09/13
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

I found that line in the all.js or all-ns.js file, located in your mozilla/n7 program directory (not your profile directory). Start/find should turn it up.

BTW, it does work in mozilla, since that is what I am using here.

tranquilo

Last edited: 2002/09/13
  2. 2002/09/14
    KevinB52379

KevinB52379 Inactive Thread Starter

hehe good to see that Im causing some discussion here :)

Well I'm happiy running on Netscape 7.0, decided to just ditch 4.79. Anyway, I was reading about how to change a line somewhere to mozilla so that must pages will display correctly a lot of the times? Can someone tell me how to do this step by step and what file i'm supposed to edit and what line I'm supposed to put in? Thank you

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/09/14
    KevinB52379

cookies and cache

Ok I know you can clear the cache and memory cache by going to edit/preferences, then advanced. and you can clear both the history trail and the location bar history trail in the edit/preferences/navigator/history options. But I noticed this doesn't delete the cookies. How do I do I erase the cookies? Oh and does clearning the cache really clean out the whole cache or does it like to leave a few files behind, or does it get every single one. I like to be able to erase my trails through history and the cache securely, I dont need people to know where I've been, and I also dont really want to know where other people go when they use my computer. Anyway to sum it up, how do I delete all the cookies, I'm not seeing this in the preferences, and does clearning the mem and cache really clean all of it out? thanks

5. 2002/09/14
    Alice

Alice Banned

tranquilo,

I found my all.js file in Program Files\mozilla.org\mozilla\defaults\pref and it contains this line:
    pref( "backups.number_of_prefs_copies ", 1);

Seeing that the program default is 1 (meaning I shoud be getting backups?) and that I don't have a corresponding user_pref line in my prefs.js or user.js turning it to 0 I'm confused :confused:
    If the all.js file contains the default user prefs then why don't I get backups? Maybe this pref isn't turned on for some reason in Mozilla 1.0rc3 but it is in other versions of Mozilla?

Anyway, thanks for the information. I think I'll leave well enough alone for now.

Kevin,

The user_pref line that Brooks gave earlier in this thread is this (all one line)

user_pref( "general.useragent.override ", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011022 Netscape6/6.2 ");

(there is a SPACE between 5.0; and en-US).

This line should make Microsoft support pages and some other sites display better. It is added to your user.js file Make sure you have a backup copy of prefs.js first - Find the prefs.js in your Netscape7 (Mozilla) profile and copy it somewhere safe. I put my copies in a special Backup folder for Mozilla I create myself.

Prefs.js (and user.js if it exists) would be found in your profiles xxxxxx.slt folder for Mozilla and Netscape7. The path varies, but from what I've gathered it's usually found here:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\username\xxxxxxxxx.slt

To create a user.js, if you don't already have one, open a blank notepad window and add the single line using copy/paste so that you do not make any mistakes. Make sure it is all on one line. (Ramona has a version of the line on her Netscape Solutions page under Netscape 7) Then go to File, Save As and make sure the "save as type" is set to "all Files ". Save it as user.js and save it to your profiles' xxxxxx.slt folder (the same folder that contains the prefs.js file).

On cookies there's a cookie manager in Preferences, Privacy and Security, Cookies. Click the Manage Cookies button to open the Cookie Manager, where you can delete your cookies.

On deleting cache and history, it will "cover your tracks" doing it within Netscape but to really clean up (this is a maintenance measure) you can CLOSE all Netscape windows, then do a Find on Cache, then open the Cache folder for Mozilla - it will also be in the Windows\..\..\xxxxxx.slt folder.

Once the cache folder is open:
    click Edit Select All, so that all files are selected.
    Click File, Delete.

History files to Find and delete (also a maintenance issue, something you may want to do periodically) are history.mab and history.dat.

Either Brooks, Ramona , tranquilo or one of the other Netscape experts would be the better person to answer your questions in depth. I don't use Netscape7, by the way, so the experts advice should be followed as far as the details!

Last edited: 2002/09/14
  6. 2002/09/14
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

KevinB52379,

If you never want to keep any cookies, you can make all cookies "session" cookies, deleted when you close the browser. For history you can change the amount of history saved to 0

cookies:

edit/preferences/privacy & security
    check limit maximum lifetime of cookies to
    select current session

history:

edit/prefs/navigator/history
    check remember visited pages for the last number of days

Or as Alice states, you can simply delete the history.dat file, found in you user profile directory.

Deleting the cache seems to leave a few files behind, but I simply delete the entire cache folder upon rebooting.

tranquilo

Last edited: 2002/09/14
  7. 2002/09/14
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

Alice,

Yes, that line in all.js or all-ns.js means you should be getting backups. All the *.js files in that directory determine what your default settings will be when creating a new profile. However, you can simply copy that line to your user.js file, and edit the line to read

user_pref( "backups.number_of_prefs_copies ", 1);

None of this prevents you from keeping your own backups though.

That might be the case, that the pref is turned off for some reason in 1.0rc3. I am using 1.1 and 1.2a now...

Perhaps an upgrade to 1.01 or 1.1 is in order? ;)

tranquilo

8. 2002/09/14
    Alice

Alice Banned

Naaaah! :p :p :p

I'm sticking with what works for me, auto backups or not :D

9. 2002/09/14
    Alice

Alice Banned

Kevin,

Just to clarify, on deleting the history.dat file in your profile xxxxxx.slt folder:

This is not a way to permanently disable the history file. It is only a way to "clean up" and start fresh. Netscape will create a new history.dat next time you start Netscape.

10. 2002/09/14
    KevinB52379

Wow, adding that line to the user.js file really helps! the page www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia loads correctly now..and so does a lot of others. Thanks :) Whoever thought of this was prety creative to use a line from the older netscape..that is where it's from right. I had to create the user.js file though. which is no biggie. But thanks. Now if there was only a workaround for the favorites organization bug .. :) Thanks again for everyone's help :)

11. 2002/09/14
    Alice

Alice Banned

Hi Kevin,

Great to hear you have your user.js created and working with one of the best "fixes" I've seen. If you do a search at http://www.google.com on "general.useragent.override" you will find many sites with information on this fix, including Ramona's "Netscape Solutions" site which includes a quote from Brooks' post of the fix on another forum.

Ramona's Solutions page also has other user.js additions for NS7 now that you've gotten your feet wet.

12. 2002/09/14
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

I do recommend backing up the user.js if you have a lot of entries, as it is easy to forget which one you changed if you break something. Also, placing comments in the user.js file is a good idea.

Commenting in the user.js is done like so:

// this is a comment.
    // this is another comment
    // etc.

tranquilo

13. 2002/09/14
    Alice

Alice Banned

It just dawned on me that the user.js entries are supposed to be written to the prefs.js file when Netscape/Mozilla is closed. I didn't understand that before . I just checked my prefs.js and all the changes I've made in the user.js are there.

That's why you need to have a backup of the prefs.js before adding new lines to your user.js (in case you goof up). I guess that's also why a backup of your user.js is a good idea since it is a record of all your changes.

If you do want to remove an entry that you've made to user.js, then removing it from the user.js is not enough. I guess you will also need to restore a prefs.js from a time before the entry was added or edit your prefs.js and remove the line?

14. 2002/09/14
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

Alice,

That is correct. To remove/reverse a change in the prefs.js you can do one of two things.

Delete or comment out the line from the user.js file and delete the line in the prefs.js file.

Reverse the change in the user.js file (true to false, 1 to 0, etc...), assuming you know what the previous value was.

The method depends on which setting you happened to change, and whether you might need it again in the future.

The backup rule applies to the userContent.css and userChrome.css files too, assuming you use them.

tranquilo

15. 2002/09/15
    Alice

Alice Banned

Thanks.

As for the userContent.css and userChrome.css files, I don;t even know what they are, much less use them. I've only had Mozilla installed for a couple of months. Before that, I only had Netscape 4.79.

16. 2002/09/15
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

userContent.css = user style sheet that allows you to change certain aspects of the browser to your settings, such as different colored quotes in the mailer, setting the size of the fonts in the mailer, changing the color of javascript links, etc. Using an extensive user style sheet can even change the entire layout of a page, if desired.

userChrome.css = user style sheet that allows you to change certain aspects of the skin, such as no throbber, change color of text in location bar, use smaller icons in the mailer, hide tab icons, change tab font size, remove bookmark menu icons, etc.

Both are very useful if you like to tinker with things. ;)

tranquilo

17. 2002/09/15
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Brooks, that plug-in to block pop ups....many thanks....works super
    Broni

18. 2002/09/15
    Brooks

Brooks Inactive

Your welcome.

Glad to pass that along.

19. 2002/09/16
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Alice,
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.1a/

What's New In This Release
    Redundant backup of preferences files has been implemented in 1.1 Alpha

20. 2002/09/16
    Alice

Alice Banned

Ramona,

Thanks for researching this, but I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.

I checked the Mozilla "tree" at http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html
    and Mozilla 1.1 alpha (released June 5th 2002) is on the "trunk ", beyond the point of the 1.0 "branch ". My version, Mozilla 1.0 RC3, dates from May23 2002 and is, of course, part of the 1.0 branch, which also includes Mozilla 1.0.1 (Netscape 7)

I thought that the 1.0 branch doesn't include the same features as those developed later on the "trunk ".

Last edited: 2002/09/16
  21. 2002/09/16
    Alice

Alice Banned

tranquilo,

Thanks for the information on those two stylesheet files. No, I'm not a big tinkerer when it comes to colors, fonts, skins etc. I'm kind of conservative, I guess. I'm using the "classic" skin!

I did find that I probably shoud upgrade from Mozilla 1.0rc3 to 1.1 or 1.0.1 as you suggested before, though, because of the security holes in earlier versions.

I might try out Netscape 7, which I've gathered is based on Mozilla 1.0.1 code, so I assume Netscape 7 has the same security updates.

I've ordered N7 on CD-Rom (for $2.99 I couldn't resist)

Last edited: 2002/09/16
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.