1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Net Work Auto Log In after first logIn.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by FuzMic, 2016/11/23.

1. 2016/11/23
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi experts

I am still reading ReggieB's linked materials on this subject, thank you for the effort.

However for a quick disgest and leap forward just a few questions on "how to avoid having to log in everytime by users in a WorkGroup to the server & to each other"
    1. Would joining the WorkGroup solve it?
    2. Would using the same subnet ensure auto access without further log in?
    3. Or we need to add all users to each PC on the LAN if we want auto access to each other?
    4. Would sharing to Everyone with full read/write do it and is this a good practice?
    5. Do we have to share the PC that holds the intended shared folder?
    6. If the shared folder is in a LAN connected to WAN be easily access by others?

2. 2016/11/23
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

These are all pretty generalized questions starting with I am not sure what you mean by "first log in ". Much of what you ask depends greatly on the specific operating system on each of the computers. Different versions of Windows have different access/sharing policies and setup procedures.

But I will say this - not requiring a password is bad idea! If your authorized co-worker logs in remotely from their computer to yours, then walks away, anybody (including bad guys) can sit down at their computer and have access to yours.

If me, I would have a totally separate computer acting as a file server with one (or two) responsible people acting as server admin. Any computer can act as a server. Files that everybody needs access to can be saved to that file server. Each user can have access to that sever (or only specific folders) as needed and as granted by sever admin. Sharing on the individual computers does NOT need be granted which greatly improves security of your entire network.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

answers below your questions:

1. Would joining the WorkGroup solve it?
      All computers on the same LAN should be members of the same Workgroup. The Workgroup name can be changed on all computers and the same exactly spelled name should be used for this Workgroup name, e.g. MyNetwork or Workgroup or My BusinessNet. Good practice and security to use a unique name rather than the default names.

2. Would using the same subnet ensure auto access without further log in?
      All computers on the same LAN and same Workgroup should be on the same subnet mask, e.g. 255.255.255.0.

3. Or we need to add all users to each PC on the LAN if we want auto access to each other?
      If use password sharing and not Homegroup, and you should do so, then users should be added to each computer that has shared files. See next answer.

4. Would sharing to Everyone with full read/write do it and is this a good practice?
      No, not good practice at all, the lazy approach. Full read/write access for Everyone also gives everyone and anyone access to the Windows system files.

5. Do we have to share the PC that holds the intended shared folder?
      The pc that has a shared folder IS a shared pc. Sharing should be done securely as stated above.

6. If the shared folder is in a LAN connected to WAN be easily access by others?
      No. The shared files and folders on the LAN computers are not available for access from the WAN UNLESS you use Remote Desktop or some other remote access software.
    As for logging in, if you use password protected sharing, the first time you login to a share there will be a checkbox to "remember ", thus you won't have to re-type usernames and passwords every time.

Last edited: 2016/11/24
  5. 2016/11/23
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Bill thank you for the effort to try to understand me.

Tony, as usual you give full attention to my needs and i must say you hit them right on spot. I really see what ticks in your clear mind. THANK YOU as always especially when i post a dumb blurry point or question and you clean it up. Have a good day my friend.

6. 2016/11/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Is this post resolved?