1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Msgsrv32 error message

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by willis06071968, 2004/06/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/09
    willis06071968

willis06071968 Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I need a little help.. I've got Windows 98 (Pentium 3 from Gateway)and when I start up my PC, it seems like it's coming on, but then the mouse curser just goes to a hour glass symbol.. It stays like that for awhile, so I hit the Ctrl + Alt + delete buttons, & the task list has these programs listed..

Avschsvc
    Hidserv
    Msgsrv32 (not responding)
    Avsvc

Windows 98 nevers boots up all the way.. I try to go into safe mood to correct these problems, but it does the same thing.. I've cut my PC off & on several times, but I keep gettting the same problems.. I don't know how to fix these problems if I can't even get my PC to power on the entire way.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!!
    Willis

2. 2004/06/09
    Master Green

Master Green Inactive

Hi,
    Let's try the process of elimination...Go into safe mode again, then go to start, run, type in Msconfig, click on the tab startup. See if alot of boxes have check marks in them. Some of them can be un-checked. You may be low on system resources. This will free some of that up. Another suggestion before doing the steps provided here is, go to the control panel, Internet Options, performance and see what percentage your resources are at. Then from there proceed to what I have suggested. If you are below 50 % this could be one of the problems. Some computers can run quite low before their computer crashes but why wait for a disaster like that to happen.

Note: When I do things like I have suggested, I write everything I do down as a safety measure.

Keep us posted...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/09
    Master Green

Master Green Inactive

Hi,
    The other good possibility for you to consider is checking out the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article # 188803... Which in reality sounds like this article may be more of a possibility than not.

The reason I suggested the steps as I did in my previous post to you is because the msgssrv32 you said was listed as not responding in your ctrl-alt-del box versus an error message coming up on your screen saying Msgrv32.exe caused a general protection fault...

Keep us posted...

5. 2004/06/09
    willis06071968

Thanks for your help Monster Green, but the start button doesn't even come up in Safe Mode, either.. All I get is a hour glass with my mouse curser, then after awhile, I just hit Ctrl + Alt + delete, & that's where I get the task list with those programs running.. It doesn't have that task bar with the start button in the lower left corner..

I don't know how to get into the system to turn off those programs, because it just gets hung up (or it seems like it gets hung up on something)..

Thanks,
    Larry

PS.. I just got your other post.. I'll check that article out, & try a few things.. I'm not getting an error message, just that "not responding" message for the Msgsrv32 (plus those other programs).. Anyway, that's for all your help..

6. 2004/06/09
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

What would happen, if you highlight "Msgsrv32 ", and click "End Task "?
    How do you proceed to get into "Safe Mode "?
    Check also Micro$oft HERE

7. 2004/06/09
    Master Green

Master Green Inactive

Hi,
    Thank you for that info...I learned something and wish to apologize if any of my previous posts appeared mis-leading. One thing I learned in this post is, we never know it all, and there's always someone here to help...

8. 2004/06/10
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

You have a virus. The legitimate Msgsvr32.Exe does not show up when you do a CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    End Task on it, if you can.
    Go to Start\Run and type in Msconfig. Click on Startup tab and uncheck from startup. Click on Win.Ini tab, and click the folder named Windows there. It should expand. You should see the below just as it is here.

load=
    run=

Anything else there, either uncheck it, or right click on load or run and edit to be the above.

Reboot.

Then go to Housecall and the Online Trojan scan, the links are below.
    After that use HijackThis, and post the log on here.

9. 2004/06/10
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi mark62,

Are you sure about this statement:

I've had it show up in the tasklist. This ms article indicates it can and will show up in the list:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302102

While scanning for a virus [using a "virus program of choice" updated with the latest dat file] can not hurt and is recommended, I know msgsrv32 is a prime targeted often used file/name for virus' to mock but a conclusion, if I have not mis-understood your previous statement, should not be made that this is viral in nature based on the fact that it showed up in taskman's list as "Not responding ".

Mark, I apologize, again, if I have not correctly understood. Perhaps this is another one of those "different operating system doing things differently" thingy's..... :eek: Why do I feel so guilty???

============

To Willis,

You have gotten alot of info so far but since I have been keeping an opened running notepad txt file on your problem and adding to it from time to time here is my imput: (These links came from a search of help-net past posts. There are more, if your interested in doing this. This service may have slipped your mind.)

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=23554&highlight=msgsrv32

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=22872&highlight=msgsrv32

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=240&highlight=msgsrv32

This is a good one:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000450.htm

Also.......

Msgsrv32.dll is a dynamic-link library (DLL) that handles error message codes for Windows-based drivers. If Msgsrv32.dll encounters an error code that it is unable to handle, Msgsrv32.dll may stop responding.

This problem is known to be related to VXD Driver files. VXD driver files are commonly used in creating printer and video drivers for Windows. To ensure that the problem does not involve the video driver, you could set your display to use the Standard VGA Driver that ships with your operating system and see if this helps. If problem stops than video needs updating.

Have a close look at the drivers for your modem as well. Make sure the correct ones are installed, and that they are the latest available for particular modem and operating system.

Finally, try to find out if/what program may be causing your problem. Disconnect from the internet. Shut down all programs. Use ctrl/alt/del to shut down everything except for explorer and systray. Now connect to the internet and see if the problem reoccurs. If it doesn't, restart one program at a time, testing between each change.

If you have installed any freeware or shareware around the time that the errors began, look at it with a suspicious eye. Running LavaSofts Adware or Spybot is always a good thing. Look to mark62's signature for links to those.

Again make sure that you have done your homework on your hardware and software applications and surfed to see if newer versions, updates, patches or common known win98 conflict problems exists.

I noticed your anti virus program and hidsvr as listed along with the msgsvr32 and if this is yours:
    Process File: hidserv or hidserv.exe
    Process Name: Microsoft Human Interface Device Audio Service
    Description: Background service that provides support for USB audio devices and USB multimedia keyboards

Another starting point is take a close look at your USB audio devices and USB multimedia keyboard and AntiVirus programs.

You need to clarify on what happens and what method your using to get into windows in safemode. If this problem persists and even a safemode bootup is not possible other alternatives can be given. Perhaps the removal of some device boards (not needed) such as your soundboard. Just a thought...

Perhaps alternatives would be a bootlog peek or a selective startup. These How-tos are found in previously links given.

Last edited: 2004/06/10
  10. 2004/06/10
    markp62

I have never seen Msgsvr32.Exe show up in the Tasklist of any 98 machine, yet. Yes, it could be one of these 'different OS different machine thingies'. I have seen it show up in WinTop.
    Perhaps there a scenario where it shows up when not responding?
    Anyway, we'll wait for a response from willis06071968, as you have brought up a very good diagnosis of the possible problem.
    Don't feel guilty, it is the brains of several folks who make this forum work so well. Each can see the problem differently, from different experiences.

11. 2004/06/11
    willis06071968

Thanks for all your help, markp62 & goddez1, I got a lot of good advice..

The one major problem I have is that I can't even get into my OS at all, either in normal or in safe mood.. When I try to boot up, the desktop screen comes up, but then nothing else happens.. No icons, no task bar at the bottom of the screen (with the start button on it), nothing.. After the mouse curser goes from a pointer to a hour glass symbol for a while, I finally hit ctrl+alt+del, & that's where I get the "msgsrv32 (not responding) ".. I hit
    "end task ", & then nothing else happens.. The mouse curser basically stays as a pointer..

I guess my question is how do I get into my OS, so I can try to fix these problems?? Maybe use a floppy bootdisk for Win98?? Any other suggestions?? (I'm at another computer now)

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to trouble shooting problems, so I'm sorry if I come across like I don't know what I'm doing, but this is uncharted waters for me..

Thanks again,
    willis06071968

12. 2004/06/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Sounds like you don't have one. Do you have access to another 98 system? To create a boot floppy - Add/Remove > Startup Disk tab - or borrow one or MS article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;187632

Regards - Charles

13. 2004/06/11
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

willis06071968,

I believe what has happened is you installed a rouge so-called antivirus, Windows Antivirus 2004 or WinAntiVirus 2004.

http://www.computercops.biz/postt41389.html

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4040

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=WINANTIVIRUS+2004&btnG=Search

I think what needs to be done for starters is to boot to DOS and delete the program. One of the folks here more familiar with the proper commands will be able to tell you how to identify the folder name, be it one or the other, and how to delete it. You also need to try following up on some of the links provided and delete any associated file you can identify.

You have very possibly been infected as a result so I suggest you download F-Prot for DOS from Markp62's signature to scan the PC.

You may end up doing an overlay install to get going again and they can walk you through that too. You will need a bootdisk for that, available here. Save it to the desktop, insert a blank formatted floppy and double click the file. Good luck to you. :)

14. 2004/06/11
    markp62

If you can get to the boot menu, where you choose Safe Mode, select Step by Step confirmation instead.
    http://www.isc-unlimited.com/tiptrick/98diagtt.html
    The above link has the appropiate answers to the questions you will be asked, except for this one. Choose No for Startup Group items. This may get you in.
    This link has more on trouble shooting startup problems.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=188867&product=w98
    But I think this may help you just a bit, hopefully you have the Windows CD. When you use the boot floppy, choose with CD ROM support. Before the A:\> appears there will be a message giving you the drive letter for the CD, it will not be the usual letter, could be E, use this letter in place of the X below.
    Insert the windows CD at this time.
    Do these commands, pressing Enter at the end of each line.
    c:
    cd\windows\system
    extract /y X:\win98\win98_46.cab msgsrv32.exe

You should get the message 1 file(s) extracted, this will replace that file in case it is corrupted.

Edit, one thing, after you create the boot floppy, slide the little tab over so that you can see through both holes of the floppy. This write protects the floppy.

15. 2004/06/12
    willis06071968

Noahdfear,
    This is exactly what I have.. My Norton AV expired at the end of May, & I tried to renew it through downloading.. ****, they got me!!! Same price & everything ($39.95).. All right, I'll search through the links you provided for
    me (thanks!!), & I'll see what I come up with.. If anybody knows the DOS
    commands & which files to delete the WinAntiVirus98, that'd be great if you could pass it along to me.. (or where I could find it)

Markp62,
    I can get into the boot menu, & I'll follow the instructions.. Hopefully, I can figure this thing out.. Thanks again for you help..

Thanks,
    Willis06071968

16. 2004/06/12
    willis06071968

Winantivirus 2004

Hello!! From a previous thread I started (Msgsrv32 error message) a few days ago, I determined that my PC is infected with the Winantivirus 2004 virus.. Trying to renew my Norton antivirus software, I accidently downloaded this virus.. From what I can gather, I need to get into DOS & delete the program.. I was wondering if anybody knew how to do this??

I can't get into the OS (which is Windows 98), in either normal or Safe Mode..
    The desktop color background screen comes up, but I just get a hour glass from the mouse curser.. No icons, no task bars, or no start button..

Any help would be greatly appreicated!!

Thanks,
    Willis06071968

17. 2004/06/12
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You're not the only one, as you could see from the links. Sad we have to contend with such things. :(

If you can get through markp62's steps and back into Windows, try uninstalling that app in add/remove programs. Run online virus scans at both RAV and Housecall. Check the autoclean boxes. If anything is found uncleanable, get a report and post it. You can get a free year trial of eTrust AV/Firewall here. Available free is AVG and firewalls here. Should probably also download, install and immediately update Spybot and Ad-aware. Run Spybot and delete all it finds that is prechecked. Configure Ad-aware for a custom full scan and run. Delete all it finds. Feel free to post a HijackThis log to this thread when done.

18. 2004/06/13
    markp62

I merged the threads, as it is the same problem. I do not think just deleting it will get windows up and running. I am sure that it has other files hooked into windows other than just the startup program. Msgsrv32.Exe is one of the first files that windows loads, it is the files being loaded afterwards that are conflicting.
    If you remember the exact date you installed it, you can do this at the prompt. I should have thought of this before.
    scanreg /restore
    Pick a registry dated before you installed it, hopefully the date was within 5 days. This way none of it's files will be loaded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.