1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MS Money and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by caribsailor, 2015/08/09.

1. 2015/08/09
    caribsailor

caribsailor Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I feel this deserves a thread. I know a lot of folks still use good old MS Money. The first thing that happens in W10 is that Money wants you to "reinstall" IE6. Of course, you can't do that in W10, so a few folks came up with registry fixes that seemed to solve the problem for some. It did not work for me. The program tried to work, but then said I needed to reinstall Money. I did, and it appeared to go well, but I then got the same message - reinstall Money. After a lot of frustration, I finally reverted to W7. But the problem came with it. Some folks on this forum finally got me out of that predicament, and all is well in W7. But my bottom line is that I will NOT upgrade to W10 until one or more of our members come up with a tried and tested, fool proof way to migrate to W10 without losing MS Money.

2. 2015/08/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

caribsailor and James, This may help you:
    " How to export and import account information in Microsoft Money "
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/178830
    You may need to change from your MS Money to the newer version as there is no support for this it will obviously NOT migrate to W10. Neil.
    Also found this in Microsoft Money Forums: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=money
    I think you'll find if you read Threads that the early version will not work in W10 as many are finding out.
    A little more searching I found this. Please take note of the warnings about Registry changes. On this link the author has placed two links. It is the first one that has the Registry change that enabled guys to get their MS Money to work in W10 build 10240. This was the last Insider build and I couldn't guarantee this is tha exact same as W10 free upgrade. http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2011/11/27/download-microsoft-money-2005-for-free/

Last edited: 2015/08/10

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/10
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

This link

It's MSMoney Plus. I have been using it since Win XP. It's ok for check book downloads. I have it on Win 7 & and on Win 8.1. Works great..........

5. 2015/08/10
    caribsailor

It looks like this subject has already been beat to death, so I'll label it resolved. It also looks like there is really no good solution. Too bad MS dropped Money as it is a great program for home finance management.

6. 2015/08/10
    retiredlearner

Were you aware of the end of support January 31st 2011?
    That MS link offers the different Money versions to change to. Neil.

7. 2015/08/11
    caribsailor

MS Money

Yes I knew MS Money 2004 was history. I still use it and it suits my needs admirably, but it does look like a non-starter in W10. I've seen some of the substitutes that are floating around. I wonder if any of them will work with W10. I'm perfectly happy with W7 Pro, but no doubt that will fade into the sunset at some point. I was astounded to notice that some folks are still using XP and earlier.

8. 2015/08/11
    retiredlearner

See Post #3. Neil.

9. 2015/08/11
    caribsailor

MS Money

Neil: Thanks for all your help. Yes, I saw those references to Sunset Version, etc. Mine is the basic OEM 2004 version. I may check out some of these options, but not to worry, I'm happy where I'm at. If some folks can live with XP, I can certainly live with W7Pro for the foreseeable future.