1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Mozilla Firefox Not Automatically Connecting

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by palyniam, 2004/06/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/26
    palyniam

palyniam Inactive Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have recently started using Mozilla Firefox 0.9, and i wondered if there is a possible way of telling it to automatically connect to the internet when it is loaded.

Thanks in advance,

2. 2004/06/26
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi Paul,

To get that function, Firefox must be your default browser.

The setting is a Windows setting, and in Windows 98SE it is located in:
    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options
    Click on the "Connections" Tab
    Ensure that "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" is selected.

In Windows 2000/XP
    Open the Control Panel (Start | Settings | Control Panel). Double-click Administrative Tools. Double-click Services. Look for the following services:

* Remote Access Connection Manager
    * Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    * Telephony

Set all those services to automatic. Now you can even set "Never dial a connection" in Internet options, the dial out process is independant to this option. You will notice that the interface for dialing out is different than the standard IE interface.

For DSL:
    Disable TCP/IP for the DSL network card, since it only serves as a virtual modem for the DSL connection. If you have a LAN connected to your PC be careful not to deactivate TCP/IP for the local area network: If you have DSL and LAN you should have two network cards in your PC, one is for the DSL, the other for the LAN, so make sure you deactivate TCP/IP for the right card (the DSL card, for example "LAN Connection 1" or "LAN connection 2 ").

Newest thing people can try is to add the following line to user.js/prefs.js:

user_pref( "network.autodial-helper.enabled ", true);

Ensure that your Firefox startup page is an active link, i.e., don't start with a Blank Page.

HTH,

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/26
    palyniam

palyniam Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I have tried the above, and it still comes up saying it cannot be found. Also i did not understand what you meant by:

Thanks,

5. 2004/06/26
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi Paul,

Could you elaborate a bit on what comes up, and says it can't be found? I'm not clear on that at all. Remember this is not a Firefox setting, this is a Windows setting.

The line, or script, can be added to the prefs.js file, which is in your *.slt (salted) folder. See this page for your Profiles Folder Location.

Open the prefs.js file with Notepad and copy this line:
    user_pref( "network.autodial-helper.enabled ", true);

This setting is already listed in about:config in Firefox0.9, and I don't really think you need it. I was merely quoting what Holger Metzer had to say about Autodial. What Operating System do you have? I run Windows 98SE, and I have no problems with autodial for Firefox0.9.

Ramona

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.