1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Moving firefox and T bird folders

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by lgbest, 2006/01/23.

1. 2006/02/22
    lgbest

lgbest Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Ramona "“ I’m concerned about several folders in the Profiles folder. Folders like lgbest and lgbest.sbd, extensions, extensions.sbd, in fact any of the folders under the j0rxc profile except for mail/mail.ipass.net. The mail.ipass-1.net is a folder I made last week to move some files that did not copy over the first time we tried to set up "new C ". That folder along with sub folders are empty. The lgbest folder and lgbest.sbd folder seem to be worthless. I’ve attached screenshots. Under the new C j0rxc71.default folder I’ve included 3 screenshots so that you can examine everything in that folder. The problem must be somewhere in here. Also can you tell me about what the ".sbd" ".msf" folders? It seems that there is a lot of stuff in here that is superfluous. :)

2. 2006/02/22
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Graham,

Those screen shots make my head swim, as it seems you have a Profile within a Profile, not to mention the MSF extension tacked on to some of the folders...

Go to the Profile Manager, and see what Profile names are listed there, please.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/22
    lgbest

Hi - Only one "default ". when I click it Tbird opens in the current profile - j0rxc71f.defalt - but still without the missing folders.

5. 2006/02/22
    Ramona

Graham,

I simply don't understand why this Profile won't work on the new PC, but worked on the old PC? I take it that it worked perfectly fine on the old PC?

6. 2006/02/22
    Ramona

Graham,

I'll give this one more shot, and then I'm afraid you're on your own, as I simply can't figure out what has happened to your Profile. The screen shots you've shown me look incredibly strange, and how you got that Profile to work on your old PC is mysterious indeed.

There is one more thing I need to know BEFORE you start this edit:
    In looking at all the screen shots again, something caught my eye that I hadn't previously noted. When Thunderbird is closed, is there a parent.lock file in your j0rxc71f.default folder? It will be there with Thunderbird open, but I need to know if it is there when Thunderbird is closed. Let me know this before doing anything else, please...

Then, if your answer if NO:

Move everything Thunderbird out of your Applications Data folder and save to another location.

Uninstall Thunderbird
    Delete the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird folder
    REBOOT THE PC

Install Thunderbird

Create a NEW profile, and give it a unique name - NOT "default "

This is the guideline for manually moving your data from the OLD to the NEW profile that you just created:

abook.mab - Personal Address Book
    history.mab - Collected Addresses
    cert8.db - Security certificates
    chrome/userChrome.css and chrome/userContent.css (if they exist) - User defined styles
    key3.db and (number).s - Saved passwords.
    Use about:config to modify the signon.SignonFileName preference value to match the copied (number).s file name.
    mimeTypes.rdf - Actions to perform on downloaded files
    msgFilterRules.dat (in each account subfolder) - Message filters
    popstate.dat (inside each POP mail account subfolder) - Keeps track of which messages have been downloaded from the POP server. If you don't copy it, previously downloaded messages still on the server might all get downloaded again.
    training.dat - Custom training for Junk Mail Controls
    user.js (if it exists)
    virtualfolders.dat - Saved Search folder settings

News folder - Newsgroups messages and settings. If necessary, create a new "newsgroup" account for each news server in the new profile ( "File -> New -> Account "), then close Mozilla Suite or Thunderbird and copy over the "News" folder contents.

Mail and ImapMail folders - E-mail messages and settings.

Create the e-mail account, then close Thunderbird

Next: Open Windows Explorer
    Copy the mail files without MSF extensions to the new account, overwriting the existing, and empty files, e.g. from the mail.ipass.net Mail Account folder, copy Inbox to the NEW Profile Mail Account Folder. When prompted if you wish to overwrite the file, answer YES. Do the same for the rest of the files, i.e. Drafts, Templates, Sent. These are all the Default folders. Don't copy the Trash or Junk files. Also Copy any Mail files which you created, whether as a subfolder of the Mail Account, or as a subfolder of any of the default folders.

As for the Subfolders... I would open every subfolder, and if it is empty, then don't copy it to the new Profile, and in fact, just delete the folder.

In older Versions of Thunderbird, a subfolder was created for every Mail folder, including the user created folders. This could be why you have so many. Altho, they shouldn't have an MSF extension, as that is a mail header, or index file. If any of the SBD folders have an MSF extension, then open, and if empty delete the folder.

Follow the same procedure for each Mail Account.

7. 2006/02/22
    lgbest

Ramona - see the screenshot. there is a parent.lock in mail.sbd when Tbird is closed but mail.sbd probably should not even be there.

8. 2006/02/22
    Ramona

Graham,

Do you have a single parent.lock file, not folder, located in your *.default folder? See this Screen Shot.

If you do have the file, then delete it.

9. 2006/02/23
    lgbest

Ramona - With Tbird closed I found the parent.lock file and deleted it. what next?

10. 2006/02/23
    Ramona

Graham,

Did you then try to open Thunderbird, and if so can you see your Mail? If not, then proceed with the manual move...

11. 2006/02/23
    lgbest

Tbird opens and the same folders that were present under new C *.default are there but not the folders copied over like .archives. I'll proceed as you suggested and let you know what happens. Thanks again for the help.

12. 2006/02/24
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - I am at the point where I am ready to attempt to get all of the correct files and folders into the new profile. If I do this correctly I should end up with everything that was on the old Tbird program in the old computer plus the new emails from the new computer resident in the new profile, and available within the Tbird program when open. I think some of my problems have to do with what I have tried to copy to where. So I would like some clarification before I begin.

At the moment there are no folders under smy2v1my.graham/mail.ipass.net (new profile), only empty files like Inbox, Inbox.msf with 2kb.

You say to "copy the mail files without MSF extensions to the new account." You also say "copy Inbox to the NEW Profile Mail Account folder ". So - for example do I need to create a new Inbox folder; or copy the inbox folder and its contents from j0rxc71f.default/mail.ipass/Inbox; or do I copy just the files in j0rxc71f.default/mail.ipass/Inbox over to the mail.ipass folder; or to the empty Inbox file. I assume that whatever I end up doing, I would take the same steps as I bring the folders or files that would not show up in the j0rc Tbird program (on the new computer) over from the old computer. Also do I do anything with the .msf folders that are in the newest profile?

13. 2006/02/24
    Ramona

I think you didn't read all my instructions, this is what I said:
    Copy Mail FILES not FOLDERS Screen Shot

Do nothing with the MSF files in the new Profile. Once you copy the Mail FILES from the old PC, then you can copy any new Mail. Find with INBOX FILE with the new Mail. RENAME the INBOX FILE to Inbox2. Copy to the new Profile. When you open Thunderbird, the Inbox2 will be in the left panel. You can then copy the new mail to the default Inbox.