1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Moving firefox and T bird folders

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by lgbest, 2006/01/23.

1. 2006/02/17
    lgbest

lgbest Inactive Thread Starter

Uploading

hi - this is crazy. When I try to upload the image it tells me that the server was reset during uploading. What can be wrong now?

2. 2006/02/17
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Graham,

Log out of Windows BBS.
    Exit your browser
    Delete the Cache folder
    Delete the history.dat file
    (Assuming you are now using Netscape)

Now restart the browser, log back in to Windows BBS and try to upload the image again. Note the file types which are allowed, and ensure that your image meets the requirement.

I just uploaded an image with no problem.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/17
    lgbest

Hi - Could the reason be that because the .bmp file is 2.92mb and it says the limit for .bmp images is 250kb? (why is it so big? It is just a screenshot.)

5. 2006/02/17
    Ramona

Graham,

Yes, that is the problem, the image is too large. Do you have IrfanView graphics viewer on your system? If not, you might want to download this free program.

Using IrfanView, you can rename the *.bmp file to *.jpg, and reduce the file size. Then perhaps you can upload the file, altho I don't know if it will reduce a file that large to 250 KB...

Download IrfanView here: http://www.irfanview.com/

6. 2006/02/18
    lgbest

Thanks. Looks like a good program. I downloaded and converted to .jpg. It's 173 KB. I clicked on Manage Attachments and I think it is attached, at least it shows up under Additional options>Attach files. Or do I have to something more to attach it to this reply?

7. 2006/02/18
    Ramona

Graham,

The first problem I see is that there is NO Mail folder?

Also, I see files with MSF extensions, which is definitely an error, e.g.,
    abook.mab.msf
    bookmarks.html.msf

I see what you meant by your Mail files are listed, but not in the Mail folder, since there is no Mail folder.

This Profile is totally corrupt, and can't be used. Could you let me see a screen shot of your "good" profile which is on the old PC?

Also, what is in the second Thunderbird\Profiles folder? Could you also let me see that one, or is it empty?

8. 2006/02/18
    lgbest

Somehow there are a number of Tbird folders. Here’s a shot of my search results.

The Tbird folder in documents & settings/favorites is the one we are looking for as it has 608 MB in it with the appropriate folders. Here’s a shot of that. How it got into favorites is beyond me. Now how do we get it working in Tbird?

9. 2006/02/18
    Ramona

Graham,

Is the screen shot on the right, the Thunderbird Folder in "Favorites "? If so this is also corrupt, as you have the MSF extension on files which have nothing to do with Mail.

I need to see a screen shot of your old PC's Thunderbird Folder. How did you copy the TB folder from the OLD to the NEW PC? Did you zip the folder first?

10. 2006/02/19
    Ramona

Graham,

I see that you copied your files from the OLD to the NEW PC using your external HDD, so never mind that question...

This is all I can suggest:

If the Thunderbird profile on the old PC does work:

On the NEW PC:

Uninstall Thunderbird

Remove ALL Thunderbird files/folders from the NEW PC. Copy them to the external HDD (if you want to salvage anything) which frankly doesn't look salvageable to me!

That includes C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird

REBOOT THE PC

Install the Full Version of Thunderbird

When Thunderbird Starts, cancel the Mail setup and then Exit Thunderbird. DO NOTHING. This is because you are going to delete this Profile...

Next: follow these instructions without any deviation, please do exactly what is suggested:

On the old PC:
    Copy the working Thunderbird folder from the Applications Data folder located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird

On the new PC:
    Delete the Thunderbird folder from the Applications Data folder located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird

Next:
    Paste the Thunderbird folder from the OLD PC into the Applications Data folder on the NEW PC.

That's all you need to do. Open Thunderbird and everything should be in place.

If your Profile was working on the OLD PC, and you follow these directions to the letter, then you will have a working Thunderbird.

11. 2006/02/19
    lgbest

Ramona - Yes, from old C to E to new C drive. But I did not zip it (didn't know I needed to) That profile (j0rxc71f.default) is what became asjezue2.lgbest on new C and should be the current profile. It somehow ended up in favorites on the C drive in the new computer just the other day. It was working just fine except there were several folders/files missing. So, I went back to old C copied the missing folders/files to the profile on E drive then into new C drive. I guess that's when the problem started. Here is a copy of what is on the E drive.

12. 2006/02/19
    Ramona

Graham,

Are there also Drafts, Templates, Junk, and Sent folders which don't show up in this screen shot?

Now, one more screen shot. Let me see the contents of the profiles.ini file, in the Thunderbird folder in the screen shot, please.

After I take a look at the profiles.ini file, I'm hoping that if you copy the Thunderbird folder with the j0rxc71f.default Profile, and paste it into the Applications Data folder on the NEW PC, you should be O.K.

But you will still need to use the instructions here:
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=279068&postcount=49

13. 2006/02/20
    lgbest

Yes, the folders are in mail\mail.ipass.net\inbox etc. Here are some screenshots including the profiles.ini files.

you are doing a great job!:)

14. 2006/02/20
    Ramona

Graham,

I think you had an older version of Firefox on the OLD PC, although it doesn't matter.

I'm going to once again caution you to not do anything other than what the instructions above suggest, and in fact will post them here to avoid confusion:

On the NEW PC:

Uninstall Thunderbird

Remove ALL Thunderbird files/folders from the NEW PC. Copy them to the external HDD (if you want to salvage anything) which frankly doesn't look salvageable to me!

That includes C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird

REBOOT THE PC

Install the Full Version of Thunderbird

When Thunderbird Starts, cancel the Mail setup and then Exit Thunderbird. DO NOTHING. This is because you are going to delete this Profile...

Next: follow these instructions without any deviation, please do exactly what is suggested:

On the OLD PC:
    Copy the working Thunderbird folder from the Applications Data folder located here:
    ~\WINDOWS\Application Data\Thunderbird

On the NEW PC:
    Delete the Thunderbird folder from the Applications Data folder located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Thunderbird

Next:
    Paste the Thunderbird folder from the OLD PC into the Applications Data folder on the NEW PC.

That's all you need to do. Open Thunderbird and everything should be in place.

If your Profile was working on the OLD PC, and you follow these directions to the letter, then you will have a working Thunderbird.

15. 2006/02/21
    lgbest

Hi Ramona – I did exactly as you instructed and the Thunderbird 1.5 program works. It copied my address book as well. It did not copy over the sub folders present in this profle on the old computer (actually now present on E drive). Here is what it looks like now. It copied over all emails received from Feb.6 through today. In the subfolder “inbox” it copied over January –Feb. 2006. It did not copy over any sent email folders or sub folders.

The first screenshot is the Tbird inbox as it is after the Tbird folder was pasted to the new C drive, the second is the inbox on the old C drive. Notice that the archive folder as well as other sub folders did not copy. The same is true with the sent folders. The new Tbird has nothing in the folders. Those folders are all still present on my E drive. It seems that they just won’t copy across. Can I do it manually?

16. 2006/02/21
    lgbest

Hi - I forgot to include a screenshot of new Tbird program showing the inbox folders. Here it is.

17. 2006/02/21
    Ramona

Graham,

Yes, you can copy any the Mail folders manually. I would let them overwrite the empty folder of the same name, to avoid duplicating anything.

18. 2006/02/21
    lgbest

Ramona "“ Thanks. However, I look in the new C drive under Tbird and start drilling down. Under the current profile j0rxc71f.default when I get down to mail/mail.ipass.net/inbox.sbd/Archives.sbd - all of the folders and files I’m looking for are there. Here is a screenshot of New C Tbird. You can see the Archives.sbd folder and the contents.

As we can both see it is definite that I copied them from old C to new C. What is the reason why they don’t show up under the Inbox when I run the Tbird program? there are no folders empty or otherwise. The same is true for the other Inbox and Sent folders that don’t actually show up when I run the program. They are all there on the New C drive under the Tbird program. There must be something that I’m not doing correctly. When I tried to move the folders last time this is when the trouble started.

19. 2006/02/21
    Ramona

Graham,

Open TB, and click on Tools | Account Settings | Server Settings
    Scroll down to the path for "Local directory"
    Is this the correct path?

20. 2006/02/21
    lgbest

Hi - can't see the whole path but when I copy the path it reads C:\Documents and Settings\Graham\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\j0rxc71f.default\Mail\mail.ipass.net - this is the correct path as far as I can tell.

21. 2006/02/21
    Ramona

Graham,

To see the end of the path in the Server Settings | Local directory
    Left Click in the path field, then press the "End" button on the Keyboard.

I note that you have TWO Mail Account folders for one of your ISP's, mail.ipass.net, and mail.ipass-1.net. That's my concern...