1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Moving firefox and T bird folders

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by lgbest, 2006/01/23.

1. 2006/02/08
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Graham,

To access the Profile Manager:

Close Thunderbird, and then click on:
    Start |Run - from the Windows Start menu
    Enter: thunderbird.exe -profilemanager
    Click on: OK

What Profiles do you see listed???

2. 2006/02/08
    lgbest

lgbest Inactive Thread Starter

Ramona - I see "default ". when I click open thunderbird it says "cannot use the profile default because it is in use. to continue, close the running instance of Thunderbird or choose a different profile. "

Graham

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/08
    Ramona

Graham,

Since you actually had three "default" profiles at one time:

jorxc71f.default
    jorxc71f.defaultC
    w3wrgiog.default

my guess is that the "default" Profile listed in Profile Manager must not be the jorxc71f.default. I really think you're going to need to create a new profile, since the usual workarounds don't seem to help.

Access the Profile Manager and create a new Profile. Remember - don't use "default" as the profile name, use your name, or your dog's name, anything but "default ".

DO NOT start Thunderbird after selecting the Profile name.

Click on the "Exit " tab, and not the "Start Thunderbird " tab.

Next:
    Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your Profiles folder. You should see the new Profile listed. Open that folder.

Now open the jorxc71f.default folder.
    Copy the entire contents of the folder. NOT the folder itself, only the contents.

Next:
    Paste the contents of the jorxc71f.default folder in the NEW profile folder you just created (xxxxxxxx.fido). You will be asked if you wish to overwrite three files. Answer YES to all three.

Next:
    Right click on your Thunderbird Desktop shortcut
    Select: Properties
    Click on the "Shortcut" tab
    To the end of the path add one space
    Now type the following: -p fido
    Click Apply | OK - and close.

The path will look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p fido

Start Thunderbird, and everything should be in place.

5. 2006/02/08
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - Thanks so much!! That did it - almost! I'm missing the most recent emails but the program works and the settings are there. Do I delete the other profiles? Also where would my most recent mail be on my old computer. I think I need to copy those to my E drive then copy it into the new profile - yes?

Graham

6. 2006/02/08
    Ramona

Graham,

Yes, copy the Inbox on the E: drive on the OLD PC, renaming it to OLDInbox. Paste it into your Mail Account folder on the new PC.

Copy the Sent folder on the E: drive on the OLD PC, renaming it to OLDSent, etc., etc. Also copy the SBD folders which you created. Don't copy any MSF files, but I think you know that by now! ;)

Let us know if you have any further questions.

7. 2006/02/09
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - I'm still grinding!! On the new computer C drive, using the new profile:
    mailbox:/C|/Documents and Settings/Graham/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/asjezue2.lgbest/Mail/mail.ipass.net/Inbox

The contents of that folder are not the same as on the old C drive under the old profile, but I don't know why. So I deleted the entire Tbird folder on my E drive then recopied the entire Tbird folder from old C drive to the E drive. When I open Tbird on my old computer everything that should be in, for example, the Inbox is there and the size of the inbox on old C and E are now the same. Would it be easier to remove the Tbird folder from NEW C drive and replace it with the new Tbird folder on E drive? Then I should have everything on new C that was on old C - correct? If that will work do we need a new profile?

Graham

8. 2006/02/09
    Ramona

Graham,

You now have a working Profile on the new PC, and my advice would be to not change anything.

On the old PC, copy from the mail account folder, the Inbox, Templates, Drafts, Sent, and any subfolders, then paste them into the mail account folder on the new PC:
    C|/Documents and Settings/Graham/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/profilename/Mail/mail.isp.net

9. 2006/02/10
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - Gaining on it. It turns out that my more recent stuff was not in the folder but listed below the folder as files, so I moved the individual files into the respective folders. Now the problem is that I now have 2 inbox.sbd folders, 2 sent folders etc. in the new profile. When I rename the new folder from Inbox.sbd to Inboxnew I can't move it into the existing inbox.sbd. So should I remove the older Inbox.sbd and replace it with the newest Inbox .sbd? (is there a way I can copy the explore window and paste it into this thread so you can see what I am describing?

Graham

10. 2006/02/10
    Ramona

Graham,

Rather than "move" those files, I would copy/paste them, then you can elected to overwrite the existing files. There won't be the problem of duplicate files...

11. 2006/02/11
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - OK - I did what you suggested and copied the mail files into the correct folders in the new profile and deleted the .msf files. When I open the new profile in Explore, everything is where it should be. However, when I open the Tbird program itself, the moved files don't show up. It is just as it was before I moved anything. I've also re-booted. Suggestions?

Also, I can only open Tbird from the shortcut on the taskbar, not from the desktop icon or the start>programs menu.

Graham

12. 2006/02/12
    Ramona

Graham,

Right click the Desktop Shortcut
    Select: Properties
    Click on the Shortcut tab
    Add one space to the end of the path
    Then type: -p lgbest
    The Target line should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p lgbest

Do you have a web page Graham, and if so do you know how to upload an image? I would love to see a screen shot of your salted folder. I thought you were set with the exception of copying the OLDInbox, etc.

13. 2006/02/12
    Ramona

Graham,

I feel that we are regressing here. I'm not really clear on what you meant by:
    This is how your Mail Account should appear in Windows Explorer: Screen Shot

Note that I have an "Archive.sbd" folder, and listed just below that folder is:
    Archive
    Archive.msf

This trio of files should also be listed with any SBD folder that you create:
    Archive.sbd
    Archive
    Archive.msf

In the second screen shot, you will see that I expanded the Archive.sbd folder so you could see that it contains two subfolders: Family, and Friends

Does this look like your Mail Account folder on the OLD PC?

14. 2006/02/13
    lgbest

Hi Ramona - I don't have a web page but shouldn't I be able to upload an image to this thread? I guess I don't know how that works.

Graham

15. 2006/02/13
    Ramona

Graham,

Unless you are a "subscribing member" you can't upload an image to the Forum.

16. 2006/02/13
    lgbest

Oh -What does this entail?:)

17. 2006/02/13
    Ramona

Graham,

To become a subscribing member, for which the fee is $19.95/year, see this information: http://www.windowsbbs.com/subscribe.php

You will see there are quite a few kudo's with this membership, which include no more advertising!

18. 2006/02/14
    lgbest

Thanks for the information. To me, this is a valuable service. I subscribed today.

19. 2006/02/14
    Ramona

Graham,

It is $19.95 well spent! :D

20. 2006/02/17
    lgbest

OK - I want to send you an image. How to I copy an image to this link?
    thanks.

21. 2006/02/17
    Ramona

Graham,

To upload an image, click on "Reply "
    Scroll down to "Additional Options | Manage Attachments "

It's self explanatory from there...