1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Modem or ??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by joeskys, 2007/01/31.

1. 2007/01/31
    joeskys

joeskys Inactive Thread Starter

Hope this is the right forum for this problem.
    At any time I am connected to the internet (Dial Up), I get disconnected.
    It can be after 5 min. 30 min. or 2 hrs. When I try to connect, I get a 633 Error.
    " Modem is already in use or is not configured properly." The only way I can
    reconnect is to reboot. I have tried to find something running in the background
    but cannot pin point anything. It seems that the modem is not doing something it should. Any help will be appreciated. Joe R

2. 2007/01/31
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Joe,

You get that message because the modem takes a long time to "let go ". It's still busy with the first connection.

I would look at two things:

The condition of your line. Pick up the phone > dial 1. There should be no dial tone. How clear is the line? Ideally it should be silent.

The modem, how old is it? A new modem is relatively inexpensive and may be worth getting.

Click on the connection "terminal" symbol in the tray. In the general tab, what's the connection speeds? Do this many times and what's average?

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I've just been having what seems similar problems. It is the phone handset that is connected to it. It draws power from the line to maintain it's memory, etc. Since I have been running without it I get better connection speeds and haven't had a dropout yet. The phone can have it's own power supply, so I am going to see if I can get one.

Matt

5. 2007/02/02
    joeskys

joeskys Inactive Thread Starter

Modem

Matt, Charles: Thanks for the reply and suggestions.
    It was totally silent, I even disconnected it.
    The modem is about 8 monthe old. It is an AOpen 56K soft.
    Terminal speed-- 26.4Kbps--ALL the time.

Next, I'll reinstall the modem. Device Mgr. says all is well!!
    Will get back to you in a day or two.
    Joe R.