1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

mobo cause no display with AGP card?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by martinr121, 2003/10/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/10/31
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive Thread Starter

Rockster, Mattman, Pete, et al:

:eek: This admission is painful and embarassing, I have no choice but to confess. The reason for the long boot times is CDROM 3 on IDE Master channel 2 was jumpered as slave with HDD slave on same channel also mastered as slave. :eek:

Just goes to show stupidity and absent mindedness can cause a world of trouble. If I ever build another box, all drives will be on Cable Select.

After discovering and correcting the error and rebooting, progress bar on splash screen now runs 3 times instead of 30!! I have not clocked boot time, but it is under 60 seconds.:cool:

Near as I can calculate, all systems are now go. All five HDDs and all three optical drives installed, recognized and operational.:)

Image and backup programs working as advertised.

It has only taken two months to get here.:rolleyes:

Only problem left (That I know of) is refusal to boot when USB scanner plugged in. (subject of seperate post)

Hopefully I'll never have to post back on this one ever again.

Got to thank you guys for sticking with me on this, I would have given up a long time ago without this board and the great guys and gals who devote their time unselfishly to helping others.

Martin

2. 2003/10/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Congratulations :) 'World record for RAID' too??

Rockster, Mattman

Thanks guys - from the mod. It's efforts like yours that makes this BBS as great as it is :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/10/31

Pete, If you mean crashes, resounding yes.

I just love you guys!!!

Martin

5. 2003/10/31
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Anyone like to join me in the next dance?
    :D

6. 2003/10/31

I'll tell you, I was so depressed, not being able to get the machine to run properly, I'd be willing now to dance with anybody.

But, Im not sure I love you guys that much!:D

7. 2003/10/31
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

8. 2003/10/31

:D

9. 2003/11/17
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Moral of the story - follow your own advice dummy!

Story ......

Just before leaving for a trip, popped 36Gig WD Serial ATA drive in DFI NForceII machine with 4 existing HDD's. Was in a hurry and wanted this to be boot drive so repartitioned original boot drive with Partition Magic to get it down to size and copied with Drive Image to new SATA drive - ran like ****. Have returned and just finished a wiped clean, fresh install. Now running like it should be, but reformatted 436 gigs to get there. Partition Magic wanted to put a boot loader in there and it trashed (I trashed) what was my latest and greatest thanks to rushing something and not following my own advice. Dumb, dumb, dumb ......

;)

10. 2003/11/18

Well Rockster, they say confession is good for the soul, so your soul must be in good shape now. I am about to get my soul in good shape too in a post on firewire, this board.

Jeeze, I thought I had a lot of gigs, but 436, wow, what do you use all that for, Storing the Library of Congress? With a redundant copy? Or did you just misplace a decimal? Do I have to go buy some more space just to keep up?

I think if I came to the point of reformatting all 320 gigs on this machine, I'd shoot myself. Talk about a fresh start???

But, I was convinced during this post that reformat and fresh install is the only way to go. So you have done your good deed.

Most aggrevating part for me is re-activating. MSFT is already convinced I'm a pirate, I've made so many hardware changes since original install. Get the bright light and 3rd degree each time. Waiting for them to bring out the rubber hoses.:D

Martin

11. 2003/11/21
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Spoke too soon - Misery loves Company

Just had to share the miserable experience - did two more total wipes after having everything setup and all software installed - just couldn't get this puppy back up to blistering breakneck speed after putting the Raptor into the mix. Well, think I've finally got it - that makes 4 clean installs since adding the serial ATA drive. Phew ...... Have been benchmarking and trying to punish this thing for a day and a half now and think I am finally home free. 1396 now at PC Pitstop with everything running.

;)

12. 2003/11/21

Hey Guy: Congratulations!! See, hard work and determination does pay off. (to say nothing about a little cash)

Of course, I had to run over to pit stop, score 884. You're making me feel like a piker. Guess I better start browsing New Egg.:D

Of course, I know nothing about the SATA drives, want to give a quick rundown, or link?? How does it increase your speed? Is the drive different or just the way it is connected and software??

Don't have to get elaborate, just the basics.

As we used to say in Pittsburg, what's the skinny?

Martin

13. 2003/11/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Link to the drive. I'm still undecided as to what kind of a performance boost it gave me. Requires a motherboard that will handle serial ATA drives or an add-on card. Skinny little cable compared to an 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable but I've been using round cables for a long time so its not that significant - maybe a forth or fifth the size. Now, a whole machine full of these puppies might be a very serious computer.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=40
    ;)

14. 2003/11/23

Hey Rockster: Western Digital's server must be down, will try again tomorrow.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.