1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft's New Security "Strategy" leaves you with little information.

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Arie, 2017/04/12.

1. 2017/04/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Microsoft has done away with the easy to understand lists of security fixes previously published on TechNet – and instead scattered details of changes across a new portal: Microsoft's Security Update Guide

The April 2017 update has a large number of updates for: Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps, Visual Studio for Mac, .NET Framework, Silverlight and Adobe Flash Player.

Information on critical bugs that are being fixed is extremely hard to find. You have to find the Acknowledgments page were you find a listing of each vulnerability that is patched along with a CVE number and the names of the researchers who reported the flaws. It's still a roundabout way of trying to find information though: the fixes are listed in order of CVE, and not grouped by product or severity, so it's rather a puzzle to find useful information.

I think the old way of listing the fixes on TechNet was a much better and clearer way for IT Pro's to see what is being fixed in which patches.

Arie,
  2. 2017/04/12
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It would be nice if there was a one-stop location for all the information we need.

I note your link to the Security Update "Guide" really goes to the Security Update "Summary" page.

The actual Security Update Guide page seems a little easier to follow.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/13
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Well ... o_O ... did you expect an improvement?

Most steps MS take are backwards. Just remember the Windows Update disaster for Windows 7 which started with the promotion of Windows 10. It's probably all according to a plan to make us give up and ... :rolleyes: ... to keep us in the dark!

5. 2017/04/13
    Christer

On a side note regarding Windows Update, yesterday I initiated updating my LapTop with Windows 10 and my DeskTop with Windows 7 at the same time over the same internet connection. Updating the DeskTop was completed in a fraction of the time it took for the LapTop to search, download, prepare, promt a restart with further churning prior to finally restarting. It took almost an hour ... :mad: ... and is NOT an improvement, it is ridiculous.

6. 2017/04/13
    Bill

That's hardly a fair comparison. You are talking two totally different hardware platforms to begin with. Second, Windows 7 does not include Windows Defender or Edge and other features which where also updated with W10. If yours took an hour to update, there's also a good chance it included the Creators Update which is now being distributed. That's a HUGE version update.

Most steps by Microsoft are not backwards. But nobody remembers the 100s and 100s of updates that go off without a hitch, or the fact that the vast majority, 100s and 100s of millions of users have had no problems with Windows Update at all. That includes me on my 5 systems here. Considering virtually every single one of those 100s and 100s of millions of Windows computers are unique with their own unique hardware and security configurations, user customizations, and installed apps, and so few people (when looking at the big picture) have had problems, I think the developers at Microsoft are miracle workers. But they are human. They are not perfect. Nor can they be expected to test for every single one of those unique scenarios.

The fact of the matter is, if users would just leave Windows alone and keep the default settings instead of dinking with the settings because they think they are smarter than Microsoft, or if they would stop treating W10 like they did XP, fewer people would be having problems. I am not saying I am running in full default mode (I use Start10 and never use Cortana, for example), but I'm not a PhD or Comp Sci, or a master OS programmer with decades of empirical data to draw on either.

Do you think you would have greater control if you had an Apple? Do you have absolute control over your smart phone updates?

Did these updates break your laptop and desktop? Or did they make them more secure?

Frankly, I don't like and have been very vocal about many of the [IMO] misguided marketing and executive decisions at Microsoft over the years - especially some of their marketing ploys. The forced upon us :mad: new "Metro UI" in W8 is a prime example. But it was not because it didn't work! W8 actually worked great because the developers did a great job, as they typically do. But it was a misguided marketing ploy to get users to automatically like (and buy) the Windows Phone with its similar UI.

I have a shop. And I know many with shops. And I can tell you business is way down starting with W8 and especially with W10. Why? Because the number of infected computers needing cleaning has dropped significantly in a big part because Windows keeps itself current.

I like to be in control too. But security trumps all. Microsoft would much rather be bashed for taking some of our control away and keeping us safe, than getting blamed relentlessly for us getting infected (even though it is the bad guys doing the infecting). And I applaud Microsoft for that!

Bill,
  7. 2017/04/13
    Christer

Wow ... :eek: ... that's a long answer to questions not asked but thanks anyway ... :) ... !

That's hardly a fair comparison. You are talking two totally different hardware platforms to begin with. Second, Windows 7 does not include Windows Defender or Edge and other features which where also updated with W10. If yours took an hour to update, there's also a good chance it included the Creators Update which is now being distributed. That's a HUGE version update.

Performance is approximately the same. If anything, the LapTop with a SSD should be faster than the DeskTop with a HDD. It's the "update management" that differs.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 (DeskTop) but Comodo Internet Security on Windows 10 (LapTop) but maybe Defender gets updated even when it has been disabled. MSE on W7 didn't get updated but no matter what, the potential difference doesn't explain the extra ½ hour.

The Creators Update, nope ... :cool: ... I would have noticed that!

A year ago when the LapTop was new, I received the first update in the background. When I checked, I was prompted for a restart, which I assumed was a restart, nothing else. I restarted and went to refill my coffee mug, came back only to find out that I could have cooked a full course dinner while waiting. (There was no version update!)

My conclusion is that the "update management" on Windows 10 is an annoyance to say the least. Maybe it works as intended on systems running 24/7, scheduled to reboot when the user is asleep (or whatever) but for me who use my LapTop and shut it down when done, it doesn't work that well.

8. 2017/04/13
    Christer

Another potential scenario is that the "update management" is waiting for a restart when I shut down the LapTop. I would probably get p-d off due to the long time it would take to shut down and then again when it takes "for ever" to start the next time I want to use it. I make sure that I won't put myself in that situation.

9. 2017/04/13
    Bill

Well, the thread is about Microsoft's new "strategy" of providing less information about updates! The subject has absolutely nothing to due with this version of Windows being better than that version, or about any improvements in performance.

Bill,
  10. 2017/04/13
    Christer

Alright ... :oops: ... sorry for derailing the thread but my first words in the second post were "On a side note ..." and it was meant as a short note that MS are making a lot of not so well received changes. Let's end it here.

11. 2017/04/13
    Bill

You say "not so well received", but that is a minority opinion. Maybe not on this site, but for sure, it is globally.

The vast majority of Windows users want their computers to just work - without needing to intervene at all. Just like their microwave oven, toaster, TV, coffee pot or any other "appliance" in the house. And that is how it should be. Users should not need to be computer, Windows, or security experts. Especially home users using off-the-shelf software. We are not there yet, but W10 is much closer to that end than any previous Windows version. And it will continue to evolve to that end. And that's a good thing.

The big issue for Microsoft's new strategy is really for corporate networks using custom/proprietary software where IT and sysadmins need to control their "workstations" to ensure that software continues to support productivity, on their schedule - not Microsoft's.

For those of us who are enthusiasts, there's always Linux.

12. 2017/04/13
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

So, this is why I can't find April's security-only updates for Windows 7? I'll have to give it another go.

EDIT: Is this what I am looking for?...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015546

I noticed that there is a list of additional updates on the left, but nothing for .net framework.

Last edited: 2017/04/13
  13. 2017/04/14
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

OK, I've updated Windows 7, IE 11, and most everything else except for .net framework (4.6.1 on this laptop), and I found the security-only update for it, but the download box shows 4 files. Am I supposed to download all four, and does it matter what order they are installed?

.net updates.JPG

14. 2017/04/14
    Christer

It depends on which version/versions you have installed. I have 3.5 only and used the second from the bottom. Version 4.6, the top two, version 4.5, the bottom one. My download gave me all the files but as mentioned, only one was installed.

(You can make an attempt to install them all. If the particular version is not installed, the installation of the update will be aborted.)

15. 2017/04/14
    Bill

Is is important to note that NET Framework versions are dependent on what your version of Windows and the programs you have installed. That is, Ver 4 is NOT an upgrade or replacement for V 3.5, for example. Different programs use different libraries. This is the same for Visual C++ libraries.

Side comment. It seems Arie's thread has been hijacked again. Shouldn't James's problem be split into it's own topic?

16. 2017/04/14
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I thought about that, but I figured it was OK since we were discussing this month's updates - and the difficulty in finding them.

Course, the staff can relocate my portion if need be.

17. 2017/04/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

18. 2017/04/21
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Two of them wouldn't install, so I did a system restore and installed the quality and security update (about 60MB) on the laptop. The desktop only required about 8MB of .net framework quality & security updates.

Microsoft's new approach to finding and installing security-only updates leaves a lot to be desired.