1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Slashes Windows 7 And Windows 8 Support

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by James Martin, 2016/01/17.

1. 2016/01/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

2. 2016/01/17
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My machines are 5 yrs old. I'll use my HP recovery discs to reinstall the OS anytime I want. When MS gets all the bugs out of Win 10 then I will switch and this is from a staunch Windows user. I'm usually one of the first to go to the latest top of the editions(Pro. Ultimate etc.) of the Windows OSs. I do not know why everyone is so excited about Microsoft Windows as a service. How long will it be before MS starts charging a monthly service fee for the use of their Windows service. It will start out cheap and then could end up over $250.00 a month just like Cablevision.

Last edited: 2016/01/17
    lj50,
    James Martin likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/17
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

It is getting ridiculous with how Microsoft has been pushing Windows 10 onto its customers whether they want it or not. The whole Get Windows 10 app update fiasco was bad enough and made me loathe Microsoft's aggressive stance with Windows 10. Now Microsoft is scaring customers and businesses by claiming that newer Intel and AMD CPU architecture won't work with Windows 7.

I am sure newer Intel and AMD CPU's will support Windows 7 but they probably won't be able to take full advantage of the newer enhancements that Windows 10 offers.

The point is, Microsoft should just keep their Windows 7 extended support date and let existing users decide IF they want to upgrade to Windows 10 or not. The more aggressive Microsoft gets with trying to convince users to upgrade to Windows 10 the more resistance they are going to run into. We get it! Windows 10 is an improvement over Windows 8, its a new version of Windows, and its being offered for free for a limited time. That doesn't mean you have the right to force Windows 10 onto our computer no matter how good you claim it is. That choice is up to me, the consumer not the corporation. I will move to Windows 10 when I feel the time is right and not when you think I should!

From Microsoft's perspective, Windows 10 is the best version of Windows, but when you have to perform over a dozen tweaks just to make Windows 10 become as usable as Windows 7 then I think that's a step backward in overall functionality. Hopefully the key here is that computer users who aren't very computer literate won't be bullied to upgrade to Windows 10 just because Microsoft recommends them to and that these users have someone knowledgeable who can deal with the hardships (if any) with transitioning to Windows 10 on their own terms.

James Martin likes this.
  5. 2016/01/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

[/URL]
    If you are going to purchase any of the above - why wouldn't you use the newest OS, W10?
    If you buy a brand new comp/laptop from 2017 on - would you expect to have W7 or W8.1 installed on it?
    Read Bill's rant http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-8/110313-win-8-support-ends-next-week.html here about Journo's reporting. Neil.

6. 2016/01/18
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

•Windows 7 will continue to be supported for security, reliability, and compatibility through January 14, 2020 on previous generation silicon. Windows 8.1 will receive the same support through January 10, 2023. This includes most of the devices available for purchase today by consumers or enterprises.

7. 2016/01/18
    James Martin

Makes one wonder, if, and when, a competitor is going to step up to the plate and offer a user-friendly operating system for the common household that does not want Microsoft's intrusiveness.

8. 2016/01/18
    retiredlearner

I personally perceive the W10 reminders as necessary for those tardy users who may miss the FREE OS after July 2016. It will be no good moaning in August that they have to spend $100.00USD. to Upgrade.
    There are ways to stop the screen nag if you don't like it.
    It's only a personal choice to make a dozen 'tweaks' to enable W10 to work for you.
    I would venture to say that every version of Windows would/had needed to be 'tweaked' to suit individual likes.
    My needs have been small with all versions I've used. Install Mozilla (FF & TB) and an Office/Word program and I'm in action. I would class myself as an average comp user who probably doesn't utilize the full potential of my comps.
    But I'm happy. ;) Neil.

9. 2016/01/18
    James Martin

If I do upgrade to 10, I'd rather pay for it in hopes that I would be able to choose which updates I want, and which updates I don't want.

Not sure if that will be an option for paid users, yet, but users of the free version of 10 are forced to accept whatever updates Microsoft chooses to push on them.

That is my biggest sticking point with free Windows 10.

10. 2016/01/18
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You will have some control with Win 10 Pro.

lj50,
  11. 2016/01/18
    retiredlearner

Most updates in W10 so far have been for Defender. The cumulative updates are the ones which carry more OS improvements.
    How do you propose to know what you need for your comp's OS better than the developers?
    Do you visit the Doctor and change the prescription because you know better?
    I personally will continue to receive WU's when they are sent as I've done since W98. I haven't had any problems with my systems operation in the past - only Hardware problems.
    As I said earlier - I'm happy. :) Neil.

12. 2016/01/19
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

You already know my opinion regarding Windows 10, I will rather pay for it when I think that it is worth upgrading to.
    In Europe (I am German and read German, Austrian and Swiss online Newspapers and Magazines and the European attitude is quite cool towards 10.
    The question that is being asked is "The Free Windows 10 Is It Too Expensive" And the most common answer is Yes.

Let me tell you a little episode that my farmer friend sent me yesterday.
    His Laptop had Windows 7on it working fine, but he got sick of the continuous request to upgrade to ten, so he thought bugger it I'll do it and he allowed the upgrade to 10 and was actually proud of himself that it worked out good, Windows 10 and no more hassles, well that was until he tried to do his monthly Accounts using his old but reliable and hard earned Quicken Accounting software,($700.- new) well it was discontinued in 2004 but worked perfect on his win 7 OS not so in 10, no go, not being computer literate he had to drive 300 km to town to see a computer service agent to try and revert back to 7, didn't work as expected, had to re-install 7 but didn't know his serial had to pay $120 odd for a new lenience, computer tech could not finish it on the same day, had to stay overnight another $120.-
    Had to ring his wife to move his Red Poll Cattle in the morning to another paddock not enough feed due to the drought, put out hay as well, trip home next day 300km, worst of all a very angry wife when he finally got home and about 400 bucks out of pocket.

Neil, ask him what he thinks about Windows 10, our farmers are very good at swearing that make your hair stand up.

Point is: Is the free windows 10 too expensive, Yes if you have older specific Software.
    I am staying well clear of it.

James Martin likes this.
  13. 2016/01/19
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Then again - it has ALWAYS been this way with older software that should be upgraded.

"My printer ha worked since I got my first pc with Win 3.1 ... Darn Windows XP ruinined that... Now I have to by another printer. "

Course it's the printer company's fault for wanting to sell more printers and not support their older ones.

14. 2016/01/19
    retiredlearner

Bill, I sympathize with your friend in Germany but I go back to doing due diligence before jumping in and Upgrading.
    There is a helluva lot of info provided by MS on what to do before clicking Yes!!!
    If support was ended in 2004 for his Quicken software, surely alarm bells should ring loud and clear? Googling would have given the answer, and reading the pre-W10 info from MS would have advised backing everything up and to make sure he had his Product Key.
    If he was unable to do this himself, he should have sought help to ensure everything would be compatible with W10 before clicking on install.
    I probably haven't read ALL the info released by MS but I consider I'm man enough to carry the can when I make a mistake by not finding out about things I know nothing about.
    We will no doubt continue to hear of thousands of similar cases in the future as it seems to be a human failing.
    MS warned that there were software drivers that would not be totally ready for W10 and that users should visit the software manufacturers for compatible and updated drivers if instability problems occurred after the Upgrade.
    I can only iterate that from my personal experience, upgrading free to W10 has been an enjoyable and satisfying experience.
    When my comp motherboard fried the ATX connector, I was faced with doing a rebuild and decided that I would lash out and use NEW parts instead of used/2nd-hand parts.
    This has ensured that I purchased gear that would be compatible with W10 from info I gleaned on Google. At my age I thought I should have something new and reliable and so far it has paid off.
    I will never be able to keep up with the rapid changes that are taking place daily, but I'm not too far behind and happy with it. :) Neil.

Last edited: 2016/01/19
  15. 2016/01/19
    retiredlearner

As Arie has quoted:
    This is another write up on the news.
    Those who didn't accept the W8.1 update will be the only ones affected. Neil.