1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft May Need to Delay Windows XP Death

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by James Martin, 2013/10/26.

1. 2013/11/07
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

The healthcare industry is now required to go digital with patient information. Now, you can contact your doctor via the web through patient portals and ask for appointments, medicine refills, see posted test results, and send a secure message to your physician.

AthenaHealth is one of the big players in this area, and I would assume companies like Athena would be on top of patient security with up to date computers and software, no?

I don't know how it is in other parts of the US, but around here, many individual clinics have teamed up with major hospitals to form healthcare partnerships (conglomerates?). I would almost bet these conglomerates pool their resources to spread the high costs of replacement computers and software around. I know doctors are using new netbooks / laptops in many of the clinics that I've visited (that belong to healthcare partnerships).

2. 2013/11/07
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

They are affiliated with hospitals so they can charge higher rates. If you go to Cardiologist's office. The doctors office charges you and then you get a charge from the hospital they are affiliated with for, use of the equipment, use of the room, so you are getting slammed twice. Medicare does not pay as much for that type of visit. Medicare says by federal guidelines certain procedures can be performed in a doctors office and need not be performed in hospital setting. So now the patient gets hit with paying higher deductibles. The health insurance companies are having a field day with this paying less towards the actual bill and having the patient pick up the uncovered portion of the bill. I was injured in the line of duty over twenty years ago and can hardly walk. So I know first hand what's going on. Sorry about ranting on and writing such a long post. But thanks for reading this.

Last edited: 2013/11/07

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/11/08
    James Martin

Reckon the new healthcare plan will stop some of this?

Mighty sorry to hear about your injury. :(

Were you in law enforcement or the military?

5. 2013/11/08
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The new healthcare plan is what is causing it. Obama took $500,000,000.00 out of Medicare to fund his health care reform act. That is money that you me and many others were forced to pay into in the form of Medicare Points/credits. I think we all should have a had the chance to at least vote on it. In answer to your question Both.

Last edited: 2013/11/08
  6. 2013/11/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This particular point of HIPPA does not apply just to the operating system itself, nor does it mean that XP systems will be non-compliant. 3rd party security software such as AV, firewalls, virtualization, tunneling, antimalware and their updates/upgrades will still be available for XP systems.

I still stand by what I have stated here and elsewhere. A properly setup, secured LAN and LAN computers will thwart 99.99% of all operating system vulnerabilities announced by MS, making operating system updates almost unnecessary. The remaining .01 % can be handled by company computer usage policies and building security.

7. 2013/11/08
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2013/11/15
    SaintSatinStain

SaintSatinStain Inactive

Last time I got infected

I had Windows 98 and I let my roommate use my computer. I still use as my main computer one running XP Pro SP 3: although I have two pre Intel Macs, one Windows 98 SE, one 2000, one Ubuntu, one Vista, and three Android devices in my home network. Vista I got free from Microsoft. Bought 7, gave it to my niece.

For the average Jane and Joe I say that they should have changed to 7 as soon as it was released.

I am a meticulous paranoid. I harden XP, then choose carefully its security. That along with timely installation of security updates, lil luck, probably, has kept me safe. I have online backup and image backup of system.

modem
    router 1
    router 2
    Windows Firewall
    Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete

SpywareBlaster, autoupdate

Sandboxie
    SeaMonkey

CyberGhost VPN

gmer
    Panda AntiRootkit
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    as second opine.

I will change to something when Microsoft security updates. Doesn't need to stop 'em though.

9. 2013/11/29
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

Two - I still have a DOS 6 that runs like a charm - boot time around 20 seconds. second I did update My old XP is 13 years old it got very slow even with the max RAM - now have a Win 7 with 8 gig RAM fantastic speed. Hope this will go for 13 years - that is if I am still here.

10. 2013/11/29
    SpywareDr

:confused:

Windows XP was released for retail sale on October 25, 2001 ... or 12 years, 1 month and 4 days ago. ;)

11. 2013/11/29
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

OK so 12 years, but I'm an old guy so you'll forgive a slip of the memory my harddrive is very full.

12. 2013/11/30
    SpywareDr

13. 2013/11/30
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

ahh what club is that please?

14. 2013/11/30
    SpywareDr

15. 2013/11/30
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

Never knew we had a club - do we meet and exchange complaints, share canes, have a beer go pee ---ha

16. 2013/11/30
    SpywareDr

17. 2013/11/30
    ThomasJK

ThomasJK Well-Known Member

"Originally Posted by retiredlearner.
    You never seem to hear about users of W98/ME/2000 having problems- or are they extinct? Neil. "
    "Originally Posted by James Martin.
    It wouldnt surprise me at all if some people are still surfing the web with outdated operating systems. "
    Yup! During this year, I have surfed web with W98SE, W95 and now I am posting this with W3.1 & DOS6.0. With these vintage pc's and OS's
    I have never had any problems. They all have had some equally vintage AV software, some claiming to utilize heuristic detection, attempts to
    mess with HD bootsector, registry etc. I think that some malware would significantly slow down a computer that has a small amount of RAM (16, 64MB)
    so it wouldnt go unnoticed. I doubt that malware today is compatible with that old OS's and it surely isnt targeted at them.

18. 2013/11/30
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

Yup I still use DOS but it's not connected never failed, boots in 30 seconds and you learn a lot about computers. In the old days we wrote a lot of little .bat programs, adjusted the Config.sys, autoexec.bat etc.
    kids today would not even know what a command line is, in factI once mention about a sccsi to some youngster and he did not know what that was.

Last edited: 2013/11/30
  19. 2013/11/30
    James Martin

I barely know myself :D, but I wasn't introduced to personal computers until 2003.

20. 2013/12/03
    masterroming

masterroming Well-Known Member

Excuse me!?? :( :p ;) Although I may not be entirely representative...