1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Microsoft Edge just flashes on screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arthur277, 2017/03/03.

1. 2017/04/29
    arthur277

arthur277 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi Neil, I don't have Apps(Why not??) but I do have Feedback Hub. I have looked at the feedback, and am even more depressed at the number and variety of problems people are having with Edge. It seems a good browser to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. Maybe you have had a good experience but lots of people seem to be having problems with loss of data, loss of favourites, etc etc, mostly it seems caused by the updates! Sometimes I believe that updates screw up a perfectly adequately performing program. I think I will just stick with Sea Monkey - it does not mess me about and there are not updates issued every month or so as it seems to be with other browsers. I mean Chrome is in the V40s and Firefox in the V50s. Why is Sea Monkey still in V2.4??? At the moment IE 11 is satisfactory for the one website where I use it. I get dire warnings about Sea Monkey not being a mainstream browser and may not perform as expected on some sites, eg Barclays, but I am not having any problems.

When I get the latest 'Creator Update' (Who do Microsoft think they are - God?) I will let you know whether Edge behaves or not.

2. 2017/04/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sorry, earlier versions don't have the Settings layout that is in the 1703 build. Apps are in the System Folder but do not show the Feedback option I mentioned. (you are right).
    It very obvious from this Thread, that MS are improving W10 with each Update Build and Feedback is one area that has been highlighted.

It's always the numbers game when it comes to reported problems with MS OS's. For every 10 unhappy users - there are probably 100 million happy campers like me.:D
    If Sea Monkey is working fine - If it ain't broke...... ;) I have used Mozilla FF and TB for years and I swear by them - not at them! Mozilla versions are improvements/security/and user suggested mods.

I still think that with all the internet traffic surrounding us and possible power/transmission fluctuations, we must expect some corruption with updates/upgrades/software downloads.
    Just thank your lucky stars when it all goes OK. I just hope North Korea continue to have their missile problems as we don't need any nukes flying about.:eek:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/02
    arthur277

Hi Neil, Now you are straying from the point!! I am going to continue using Windows 10 with all its foibles, and Sea Monkey with its lack of updates! I do not put a lot of pressure on my computer and it is doing well at the moment. I lost my desktop icons for some unknown reason but a registry hack soon restored them.

What do you think of AVG Protection? This may be for another forum thread, but at 754MB it is some RAM/HDD hog and it seems to occupy more than 40% of my CPU ALL the time. I have had to remove it and now AVG Antivirus is unhappy! So that's gone too.

I think we have enough immediate problems here in the UK without adding to our adrenaline thinking about Kim J-U. You will be well out of things in NZ.

5. 2017/05/02
    retiredlearner

I've versed my opinion on 3rd. party AV programs many times and I have used MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) Defender was the name change from W8 to W10. My previous experiences over the years with 3rd. party AV's that became resource hogs and buy Premium splash screens that popped up in the middle of your work got up my nose big time.
    I have been extremely happy with the AV program provided by MS and it works 100%.
    Remember, your best AV is the keyboard operator! ;).

6. 2017/05/12
    arthur277

Yes I agree and I stay away from dodgey sites.

Edge seems to be getting better and stays a little longer. I can now enter a website address but then it disappears again. My computer is updating regularly but I still do not have the Creator's update. Obviously MS do not think my old chugger is ready for it!

Sometimes when my computer boots up I have the desktop icons, and sometimes black rectangles. Not sure what is going on.

7. 2017/05/12
    retiredlearner

Are you sure you haven't got too many things opening on Startup? Have you checked with OCZ for the latest software update? Guys were having a rough time with OCZ SSD's some months back. The SSD was failing and even from brand new in one instance.

8. 2017/05/20
    arthur277

I can now say that the problem is resolved as I have just updated to Creators Update, and Edge is working normally. I can also say that the only message I got was that my gadgets needed updating/repairing. Hopefully things will only look up from now on. So far I am a convert to Windows 10, and will be updating my other half's laptop as well . I just hope that it will accept it. It is a Sony Vaio. I will also recommend Windows 10 to my clients.

Many thanks to all the suggestions from Neil and others. However it is clear that there was something that only the upgrade could sort out.

9. 2017/05/20
    retiredlearner

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows?os=windows-10
    Check here for for the necessary info regarding your wife's Vaio.
    I have been an advocate of W10 from the outset and even my wife has it on her Desktop I built her. No worries about the big Security hack as you may have noted when using W10.
    Nice to see you're all sorted with your comp.;)