1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Microsoft (C) Register Server Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bmartin, 2016/09/25.

1. 2016/09/25
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have two windows 10 laptops. Both have similar features. Because I was warned of Data overage by my internet provider I installed a bandwidth monitoring software on both machines to see if I could find out what was eating my data up. My data usage has not changed, but in September so far I my data usage report from the provider shows over 277GB used and my limit is 250GB. If I knew this number was being cause by me or my wife I would just up my data plan, but we are not the cause to my knowledge. When I review the usage information shown on the bandwidth monitoring software I only see one thing that stands out and it is only on my laptop and it doesn't even show up on my wife's laptop. For some reason my laptop is showing a very high 4GB usage in less than two days. Nothing else stands out as a high data user. The app showing the 4GB usage is the Microsoft (C) Register Server. This app only shows on my laptop and is not on my wife's laptop. I know this app is part of windows, but I am not sure what it purpose is and why it is eating up data on my laptop and not my wife's laptop. Does anyone have any thoughts on this data issue. For now I just keep my laptop turned off until I need it to hold down this excessive usage. Thanks,
    Bob

2. 2016/09/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would check out the information re. regsvr32.exe here - you may have a virus on the laptop, in which case start a thread in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/29
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Followed PeteC suggestion and suggestions that I founded at different websites and the huge data usage went away. I have not ideal what stopped it. Thanks

5. 2016/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update!