1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Microsoft bans Google from Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SpywareDr, 2016/05/05.

1. 2016/05/16
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Exactly - for the journalist seeking headlines over his/her byline, not MS.

I fully believe in and defend the First Amendment and Freedom of the Press. I just wish journalists today believed in The Journalist's Creed and understood that "a single standard of helpful truth and cleanness should prevail for all ".

Instead, journalism today is all about egos and entertainment. :(

2. 2016/05/16
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

It's still about the money.

Using Bing instead of Google for Cortana searches will ultimately put more money in Microsoft's pocket.

More knowledge = more power, more power = more money.

--

BTW, it is the journalist's job to try and get reader's attention. If they don't, they die.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/16
    Bill

But not with falsehoods, exaggerations, and misrepresentation. A journalist is supposed to "report" the news, not make it up. If they want to write fiction, sell is as fiction - not fact.

As far as Cortana, I understand your point, but I don't see a problem with it because folks don't have to use Cortana and can use other search engines. And competitor digital assistants like Apple Spotlight, Google Now and Amazon Echo’s Alexa don't allow change either.

While revenue through searches links may be a motive, I don't believe that is a primary one. The problem is, Microsoft always gets blamed for everything that does not go right no matter who's fault it is. And because they cannot ensure proper function with 3rd party apps, they want to eliminate the possibility of getting blamed for something not their doing.

So will this action pay off? We'll see. If Cortana users cannot find the information they are seeking through Cortana now, Microsoft will suffer. If Cortana does provide the information users seek, maybe Cortana's use will become more widespread.

Either way, I will not be using it. My dog is already confused enough when I talk to myself. No need to make it worse by talking to my computer. ;)

5. 2016/05/17
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

Bing is the second largest search engine in the US with a query volume of 20.9%, behind Google on 63.9%. yahoo which Bing largely powers, has 12.5%.
    They had to do something to help control the use of Cortana since the Bing2Google extention was introduced. They might catch up in a few years now that they have forced ther own search to use it. Isn't that forceware. That's not a question.

6. 2016/05/17
    Bill

Except you are assuming the majority of people use Cortana. I personally don't know anyone who does.

7. 2016/05/17
    SpywareDr

8. 2016/05/17
    Bill

The truth!

9. 2016/05/18
    SpywareDr