1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Announces Windows 7 Pricing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arie, 2009/06/25.

1. 2009/10/22
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

well this is what it costs here in New Zealand and once again we get shafted by M$

Sh!t expensive Retail prices = Home premium $341.22 , professional $488.66, ultimate $499.05, family 3 pack home premium $621.50
    Sh!t expensive OEM prices = home premium 32/64 $217.70, professional $285.08, ultimate 32bit $391.74 - 64bit $368.24

and NZ to US dollars for us at the mo is $1.00 NZ Dollars = 0.74 US dollars

so that makes a copy of home premium in the US cost this much in NZ dollars
    US $149.95 dollars = $188.64 NZ Dollars so thats a total of $152.58 more than it costs in the US oh i just realised thats for a family three pack not just one copy a 3 pack here will cost $621.50 so thats $432.86 more than the US

Last edited: 2009/10/22
  2. 2009/10/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Just order/download it from Microsoft US... problem solved! MS New Zealand links to the US store...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/22
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

It can't be.

Microsoft uses IP address to bar Aussies to order online from US Microsoft website. Ordering from other websites is possible, but then during activation through Internet, the process terminated; if activated by phone, then it's okay, but when calling local Microsoft contact centre for help, they checked my product key and said sorry because the key belongs to US and local Microsoft do not give support...and sometimes later when checking genuinity, updates were not obtainable/installable in my actual XP Prof experience.

Same as DVD Drive zoning problem, Internet now is constraining us, rather than enabling us, to reach global news. Like Amazon Kindle, you're only 'licensed' to read the info at specific location. (Now the new International version has less contents than the US version, but the US version can't be updated at overseas, that my friend told me.) It's called "De-internationalization ". Apple iTunes Store's the same. Last month, I was forced to accept a new agreement that I could only use local iTunes Stores and my overseas iTunes Store was stopped from purchases because my IP was trapped.) My Nintendos Wiis of US/Aussie/Japanese versions are not compatible to each other's games.

One day, we can not (or traditionally cannot) read e-news if we cross the boundary of the subscribing town/suburb because it said so in the license agreement. Meanwhile, Microsoft said the Aussie's retailors set the price, not Microsoft...

5. 2009/10/22
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

nope that wont work first off address requires zip code and state hmmm nope i live in NZ dont have one

secondly UPS don't ship to NZ

third $319US

6. 2009/10/22
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

it already is here try watching stuff from bbc.co.uk out side of the uk it keeps tellin me sorry your IP address places you outside the UK and we are unable to stream the content to you at this time

and i'd say MS AUS set the price not the retailers atleast thats what theyed say if you asked one

7. 2009/10/23
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

JB Hifi here in Australia
    Windows 7 Home Premium (upgrade from Vista) $171, does that mean mean I have to buy Vista as well?
    Considering I am still running XP Home & Pro on our laptops & Desktops, If I have to buy vista as well then that blows the price out of the water!!!

From the Microsoft Au site!!

Before you buy
    Running Windows Vista?
    If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

Running earlier versions?
    If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.
    If you’re running Windows 2000, you’ll need to purchase the full product and do a clean install.

So that answers that question, Now do I buy the full version or the upgrade?

Home premium full version $299 (upgrade $199, $28 dearer than JB's, $22 more than Joyce or Harvey's and I get a free TV Card there!!!)
    Professional full version $449 (upgrade $399)
    Ultimate full version $469 (upgrade $429)
    These are all downloads from Microsoft, no media included and NO Family pack on offer!!!!!!!!!!!

So if I can do a clean Install from the UPGRADE disk, why bother buying the full version for my upgrade from XP, and I think I might get it at one of the many retailers, with a free TV Card for a bit less than Microsoft are selling it at!

Well I might just continue with the RC till it blows up or I can save up for the 2>3+ copies of atleast Home premium I will need?
    Which ever comes first??
    Maybe I should have hosted that release party ;(

Just a side note:
    The wife is getting 7 at work, her boss decided that since she knows about it & she has me for IT Support, she gets to sort it out and help everyone else when they finish the transition?

Regards Jac

PS current conversion rate AUD:USD $0.93

Last edited: 2009/10/23
  8. 2009/10/23
    Arie

Well, as you can see from he link I posted, Microsoft New Zealand links you to the US store if you click on buy.

Microsoft Australia runs their own store...

9. 2009/10/23
    Arie

The only advantage you have when you buy the full version is that you do not have to have Windows XP installed & activated before you can upgrade to Windows .

10. 2009/10/23
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

11. 2009/10/24
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

yup did that filled in everything then got told sorry you live outside the US and we are unable to deliver it

12. 2009/10/26
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

How Cheap Will It Get????

Remember it is a download from MSAu

On ****.com.au
    Home Premium OEM Disk & COA (Not Upgrade) $124 + $9.90 p&p
    cheapest I found

I wonder how much next week????

regards Jac

Last edited: 2009/10/26
  13. 2009/10/26
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

hey Jac whats an ultimate 64bit oem disc worth over there

14. 2009/10/27
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

At a quick glance on ****.com.au
    Media & COA included
    Pro 64bit $179 + $9.90 p&p
    Ultimate 64bit $235 + 9.99 p&p
    I haven't checked the retail sites as yet,
    Not sure if they will work in NZ but it might be worth the enquiry
    Regards Jac

ps. a local on that site has Home premium at $129 so for an extra $88 I can get 3 copies that I need at the moment over MSAu's download price for 1 copy

15. 2009/10/27
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

those are better prices than here Jac

16. 2009/10/30
    BLyons41

BLyons41 Inactive

Family Pack.

[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
    You might look into the Home Premium Family Pack. $150.00 and it will install on 3 machines in your home. Great Deal for Workgrouped homes.

17. 2009/10/30
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

Hi BLyons41,
    Welcome to BBS, the Idea of the Family Pack is great, but for some reason Microsoft is not offering it in Australia and most other countries outside the US, so turning to sites like E*** and buying the OEM disks on offer at greatly reduced prices, although you don't get microsoft support as you would if buying the retail version

MSAu 1 x Home Full version Downloaded copy, no media, AU$299
    or
    E*** 3 x OEM Full version, media included AU$387 and with a bit of searching you may get it even cheaper
    regards Jac

18. 2009/11/17
    abidkhan

abidkhan Inactive

looks like i will never be able to afford windows 7, its too pricey...heck i bought my xp pro when there was a store closing down....70% off!

19. 2009/12/14
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive

That's exclusively a marketing issue. Traditionally, the U.S. has always been inexpensive when it comes to technology items, including software. Europe is usually the highest. Then, there is the fact that Europe is overtaxed, taxed some more, and if they could find a way to extract the gold fillings of the citizenry of EU member countries, they would likely do that, too.

One example is the VAT. We don't have a VAT in the U.S. Our state sales tax (for those states that have a sales tax) are the rough equivalent to a VAT, which again, is much lower than most European countries. One exception is Switzerland, but then again, even though located in the middle of Europe, its sales tax is only 7.4%. At least that was the rate a couple of years ago when I found myself at Zurich Int'l Airport. Most countries are (or are close to) 20%.

I suggest you try to find someone who will help you buy it from the U.S. directly. I do it for my family living in Germany. Our Congress has been debating, albeit not officially (yet?), to find a way to tax the Internet in a similar way, but nothing usually comes close to European taxation. If anybody is interested, I'd be more than happy to help out.

20. 2009/12/15
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

Well, I'm finally up & running with Win7, got a bargain $125 including postage, bought it on Ebay, Vista with free Win7 (home) upgrade both un-used, just did a clean install on the same partition that I was running the RC on, no problems didn't need to re-install much & I was able to drag a lot of things back out of the windows old folder! I think all up it took me less than an hour!!

Now is there anyone interested in a Cheap Un-Used, sealed copy of Vista? Just joking, I'm going to upgrade my desktop with the vista disk untill I can afford another copy of 7!

But I do have a ???
    Is the sale of the Windows Key only, legal??
    I've noiced a few available! but it's no good unless you have the media to go with it!

Regards Jac

21. 2009/12/15
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

sure what do you think you get when you buy direct from MS a Key and an address to DL the media if your like me and did a torrent then you don't need the DL address just the key