1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Microsoft Announces Windows 7 Pricing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arie, 2009/06/25.

1. 2009/08/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

AFAIK that is not possible - a clean install of RTM is required. This is generally the case with beta's and RC's.

2. 2009/08/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

There is a work-around that worked on the RC, and will probably work on the RC > RTM, but if it is wise to use?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/08/06
    usasma

usasma Inactive

I've experimented with upgrades between Vista and the beta/RC, and have tried the beta to RC upgrade also.

I've found that the more you use an installation, the less likely it is that the upgrade will work without glitches. I upgraded a fresh install of Vista to both the beta and the RC without issues, but when I upgraded my mature installations (with all my programs and data) I found a a bunch of different problems.

I strongly recommend backing up your data and doing a clean install - it's worth the extra effort to have a properly functioning OS.

5. 2009/08/07
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive

You don't want to "upgrade" the Beta, or the RC, to the RTM. You can upgrade Vista to the RTM. Think about it. Can you upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Vista Ultimate? Nope. Be happy you have the RTM at all, and do a clean install. ;)

Is that upgrade still going on? I think it's expired. If you buy a PC (desktop, laptop, whatever), you'll get Windows 7 FREE! ;) (of the comparable edition of Vista you get on your new purchase)

Probably U.S. only. I bought three Thinkpads last month, so I have two 7 Ultimate's, and one 7 Pro coming. :D I only care about Ultimate, and I need only 1 license, the rest I shall give away.

6. 2009/08/07
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

Review

I live in Australia, I couldn't get in on the Pre-Buy @ near 50%, all I can find so far over here is "BUY a New PC or Buy Vista (retail) between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010 and receive a free upgrade to Windows 7 (retail upgrade $29.95) "

I would like to buy Windows 7 not an upgrade!!!!

I would like to Buy the Family Pack!!!!!!

Absolutely no mention of any of this in Australia????

So I still ask!! can anyone point me in the right direction to find out where I can find this information, Microsoft Australia is useless!!!!

Regards
    Fagan

7. 2009/08/14
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

The most important thing is not about GA. It's about the readiness of upgraded drivers and software for existing peripherals, such as existing printers, mobile phones, and etc.

If Windows 7 still treat other IT developers the same as consumers (like it did for Vista's launching), then WInodws 7 would still be a losser. I still remember that 3-month period that my peripherals were all on strikes because drivers for Vista were not yet available, or even worse, not tested.

8. 2009/08/17
    Arie

Most (almost all) Vista drivers will work with Windows 7, so it'll have a better start then Vista.

9. 2009/08/22
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive

I now use Windows 7 in the 64-bit version on ALL of my computers. Not only do ALL...I really mean every last app, as well as every driver with the exception of an camera that built into the screen of my latest Thinkpad (not web cam). But guess what, that doesn't count, as I wasn't able to get it working under Vista either. :D

IvanH, you can get the RTM version right now. You'd have to sign up for, and pay, for the TechNet Plus subscription, however. If you want, I'll give you a coupon so it will be 20 (or 25%, I forget) off the annual subscription.

@Fagan: That's why I said "probably U.S. only" again, as beta versions of most any software, only U.S. get the privilege of testing out beta software. SlingMedia lost a lot of potential international customers when it also said "No." to non-U.S. testers.

One more thing. You say you want to buy Windows 7. It isn't for sale yet. The earliest you can buy it is on 10/22 (22-OCT-09), and I believe that is a worldwide release date.

It's 8/22 today, so exactly 2 months to the day remaining. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for a TechNet subscription, but that's the only legal way.

@Arie: Not only do they work. Some programs now work *better* for me LOL...Firefox started crashing on me twice, and under the same circumstances, it would have crashed under Vista. However, it came back to life under Windows 7, with every tab open.

And my beloved Thinkpad-producing company, Lenovo, is holding off releasing a super-sexy white netbook (the S10) until Windows 7 comes out, as they would have had to put XP on it, because it won't take Vista. Talk about the best of both worlds. Windows 7 with its building on the nearly bullet-proof Vista SP2, but lightweight enough to install fine, wherever Vista doesn't fit...:D

10. 2009/08/25
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

actual pricing is good to see, we here in New Zealand are yet to have our prices confirmed but remour has it that it'll be expensive again just like Vista was. Quite a few of the friends i have were looking forward to going to windows 7 but not if it's going to cost us an arm and a leg. We all sent really filthy emails to MSNZ asking why there was no pre order elegibility here and got the you can buy it when it comes out or purchase a qualifying PC or Laptop story which realy didn't quell the peeved offness we all felt

11. 2009/08/25
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

yes there is it takes editing the setup.inf and adding in the RC version number to the qualifying products list:D

12. 2009/08/25
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

Join the Club MSNZ are just as bad as MSAUS talk about dick us around :mad:

13. 2009/09/05
    Kullaroo

Kullaroo Inactive

Will you be doing a version comparison like the excellent one done on Vista?

14. 2009/09/15
    Arie

15. 2009/09/27
    spiderpug

spiderpug Inactive

Will windows 7 come with a CD, or will it be a stupid thing we have to download off the internet... I got windows 7 free with my new laptop I bought...

I currently have vista on my computer at the moment, how do you think I should install it. Will I have to wipe windows vista first?

Cheers guys

16. 2009/09/28
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

spiderpug it'll come on an DVD and it'll be an upgrade version which means you just run it over the top of your vista

17. 2009/09/28
    spiderpug

spiderpug Inactive

Hi

Ok sweet

18. 2009/10/04
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive

In many circumstances, it is not a good idea to install "over" the previous OS. Being that you just got your machine, and the fact that there are many "under the hood" commonalities in Vista and Win 7, you should be fine.

If problems arise from applications that you will install on Vista, and if you can't easily fix them, I'd say do a re-install, and then put your apps on. However, often times a version upgrade (sometimes called a patch) will be available from the third party that manufactures your hardware, and develops your software, which will make it compatible with Win 7.

If you have a few older programs that you still need to run, and if they refuse to run on Win 7 (this is unlikely, but it does come up every now and then), then you can run it in "compatibility mode ", and if that also fails, download Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, and run it in the virtual machine that you will have created if you opt for this solution.

19. 2009/10/22
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Can someone put up a table comparing Windows 7 prices of major countries? I heard that the prices of Windows 7 in Australia are three-times higher than the same pack in USA.

20. 2009/10/22
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

IvanH - don't be bashful;) You and your friend Google can probably find the info..

21. 2009/10/22
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

Consumer affairs in Australia are supposedly questioning the cost difference between USD & AUD, considering the current Exchange rate, I hope this makes a so called MULTI-National company take notice?
    I don't think this is the first time either!
    Jac