1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Memmap VxD Initialization failure??

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by cdwheeler1, 2003/06/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/06/03
    cdwheeler1

cdwheeler1 Inactive Thread Starter

I have recently inherited an old(ish) Pentium II 233. It has 5Gb HD (1.5 free) and 64M RAM. It seems painfully slow to me (avoid cynicism!!) and I have begun to work my way through the list of suggestions from the previous thread in an attempt to rectify this.

The system is prone to crashing - I'm often having to restore my active desktop following boot-up, as it tells me the system has experienced an error...

Everytime I boot up I see: Memmap VxD Initialization failure

Does anyone know what this refers to, how to fix the problem, and whether it could be responsible for sluggish/poor performance??

Thanks in advance....

2. 2003/06/06
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

cdwheeler1 Hi

Take a look at MS newsgroups through Google

I dont see it suggested But this is safe to do:
    start the pc in safe mode go to control panel >device manager
    expand the branch next to display adapters select one and choose remove,(dont choose to restart until last one) do this with each one there then reboot,
    windows should detect and install the proper drivers,,
    If afterwards you go to device manager and the adapter is unknown cancel out of device manager go >control panel
    add new hardware wizard, point windows to the device (adapter)you know the pc has.

Before you do this what kind of video card do you have and driver details ( you can get that info from device manager select the adapter and choose properties,,,,Intergrated -or not-pci or agp

Lonny

Last edited: 2003/06/06

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/06/06
    cdwheeler1

Hi Lonny,

Thanks once again for your time in trying to help a 'PC imbicile' try and make his dilapidated computer work!!

OK, so...

I did as you suggested and noted that there are two 'voodoo23DAccelorators'. Both tell me that 'the device is working properly', but it also says 'no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'. Should I click to update the driver??

Driver date is 3/2/2000 btw...

Thanks Again,
    Chris:)

5. 2003/06/06
    Lonny Jones

Hi cdwheeler1
    How long has this been going on ?
    No I would remove them first, then look back in there to see if drivers are loaded if not yes use the update driver (wizard) and just let windows find it.

when you remove one, windows may prompt you to restart dont
    untill you remove all video adapters,,

What brand is this pc . did the vid adapter come with it?
    PCI or AGP
    voodoo I think is out of buisnes But there maybe some current drivers out there somewhere (third party) Maybe others in this forum will no and step in.
    thats odd. is there a driver file details --on the driver tab --
    write down all the info for us , for that adapter, (use each tab) .
    Any other graphics problems ?

Lonny

6. 2003/06/19
    cdwheeler1

Hi Lonny,

Thanks for your reply - I've been away which is why I've been silent. Ok, where was I...

To give you an idea of my ignorance, I'd better explain that I thought you were after info on the graphics card, not the video card?? Am I right in thinking you're talking about the display adapter? The device manager is telling me that it is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT, driver details of which are as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NVDISP.DRV >>>>
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NVMINI.VXD >>>>
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vmm32.vxd (vdd.vxd)

The PC used to belong to a friend in the know and he's told me that he put two voodoo II graphics cards inside. As for above video adapter, I dunno. Would he have added it??

If this all too much of a headache then don't worry Lonny - it must be pretty frustrating having to deal with someone as ignorant as me!!

Incidently, things seem to be getting worse! It seems to be running slower than ever, it tells me there is a windows error every time I shut down, and I can't seem to defrag the hard drive now (whereas I could before). All it does now is tell me it's checking for errors - it doesn't actually do the defrag!

AAGGHH!!! I knew there was a reason why I never learnt about computers!!!

7. 2003/06/19
    Lonny Jones

Youre back

cdwheeler1 in device manager expand all , by clicking the plus sign, are there any exclamtion points , yellow or maybe even red
    marks ,, anywhere ? if so select whatever it is the hit the properties button for details , post them here,,
    also please do select and remove whatever adapters are listed
    windows will want to reboot and will put everything back ,
    Go to windows update also !! But dont get the device driver updates sometimes windows update only offers what was originaly on the PC , so if a card has been added there will be problems
    what brand of PC is this ?
    Cant say im any better :)
    I and alot of others have to run scandisk (then) defrag while in safe mode,, easyest way is to go start run type in msconfig and hot enter use the advanced button and check the box for allow startup menu, ok and ok again windows restarts with three options to select from choose safe mode,, exit the help screen
    and use scan****( in thorough [X] automaticaly fix errors.
    even in safe mode I get the message scandisk has restarted ten times do you wish to continue --yes then it will run until finished
    then do defrag..(I only do this two three times a year!!!)
    http://www.windows-help.net/windowsMe/tip-0102.html
    on another note
    we need the whole error message also, described here:
    http://www.windows-help.net/windowsMe/tip-0105.html
    But please only post the topmost part and only the last few
    Like this
    Lonny

8. 2003/06/19
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Lonnie

"Cant say im any better "

I would say you are pretty dad gum good! Smile!

Mike

9. 2003/06/19
    Lonny Jones

Thanks mike I need a little encuragment.
    I am getting better , problem is sometimes I learn to much at one time , it goes in one ear and out the other and tends to take other things with it as well >GEE

Regards
    Lonny

10. 2003/06/19
    cdwheeler1

Hi Lonny,

Yes, unfortunately for you, I'm back!!

OK, I'll try to deal with these points in order...

I've expanded all in device manager - and there are no error explanations at all...

Have tried running scandisk/defrag in safe mode, and NOTHING WORKS NOW!! AAGGHH!!!!

Scandisk tells me it's "checking file allocation tables" and does nothing else...

Defrag just tells me it's "checking drive for errors ".

It's a Mesh PC.

When you tell me to "select and remove whatever adapters are listed ", do you mean the video adapter - the RIVA TNT adapter, or the voodoo2 3d accelerator??

Cheers Lonny,

Chris

11. 2003/06/19
    Lonny Jones

did you give them enough time ? when I do scan**** in thorough
    it takes about five hours and as I mentioned the first time it wont work .. anyway this is good to do but don't think it'l cure the problem..[scandisk and defrag].
    yes all adapters that are listed,, do this while in safe mode to
    windows will want to restart dont untill all those adapters are removed....

when in safe mode look at the close program box (ctrl alt del) press at same time , whats there,You could also tell whats there on a normal windows startup.
    "It's a Mesh PC." Model number ?
    how much memory ? and resources ,, r/click on my computer then on the performance tab for memory and system resources information.
    also you can run the direct X utility > start, run ,type dxdiag ,enter then do all the test's any problems reported ?

regards
    Lonny

12. 2003/06/19
    cdwheeler1

greetings Lonny.

OK - Ctrl Alt Del shows - Explorer, Kazaa, Loadqm, Systray, Wmnvram. Mean anything??!!!!!!

PC is a Mesh 'Elite Titan' - that's a bloody joke!!!

233Mhz Petium II, 64Mb ram. System resources report 77% free.

I've checked the direct x utility. No problems reported, just several uncertified files:

sb16snd.drv & sbfm.drv on the directx drivers tab

nvdisp.drv on the display tab.

Direct draw and direct3d test ok.

I'm removing all graphics and display drivers now...

Cheers Lonny!!

Chris:) :)

13. 2003/06/19
    cdwheeler1

Hi Lonny,

Have removed RIVA and VOODOO drivers as suggested. PC did indeed find and update drivers after re-boot. Am I supposed to do the same with other drivers? If so, which ones??

Problem still exists tho! Still showing Memmap Initialization VxD failure :mad: !!

I am able to run scandisk and defrag now tho, which is something, and it seems to be running slightly quicker, which is my main concern to be honest.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any other suggestions, it would be good to know!

Cheers Lonny

Chris

14. 2003/06/19
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Yes, you have spy/adware installed on your computer, these things frequently causes problems. I would suggest uninstalling Kazaa, then use SpyBot Search & Destroy to eliminate the leftover spy/adware software. Remove everything it detects, if Spybot asks to allow to run at system restart, allow it. It won't be in the startup again.
    If you must use Kazaa, use Kazaa Lite instead. It is stripped of spy/adware and is free.
    If you do not use MSN Messenger, disable loadqm. It will reappear if you use the messenger.

15. 2003/06/20
    Lonny Jones

cdwheeler1 Hello
    " "I've checked the direct x utility. No problems reported, just several uncertified files:sb16snd.drv & sbfm.drv on the directx drivers tab,nvdisp.drv on the display tab." "
    so what does direct X say after you removed those adapters (from device manager)
    I should have asked what version of direct X
    You haven't been to windows update ? You should..
    the current or last version is 9a.

Have you found out yet if the video cards are agp or pci, if pci then you should uncheck agp within directX (on its first page)

SpyBot is defiantly the best, though I cant let it clean user tracts
    on our windows me system , no damage coused but well just don't delete (clean) user tracks. Most people I think have SpyBot and Adaware (also free) or at least it has a free version.
    Downloads - Support - Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    since you have Kazza id recommend a Trojan remover (trial version)

You can test Anti-Trojan fully featured for 14 days, update it before scanning also do an on-line virus scan :
    http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/download.aspx
    Trend Micro - Free on-line virus Scan - Scan Now: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    so to sum it up
    clean you're PC of any spyware adware trojans dialers , nasties.
    Learn how and what can be disabled from starting up with windows, then do windows update :)
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    Good luck and let us know
    Lonny

16. 2003/06/20
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

The graphics cards and the video adaptor are the same thing. The only good reason to have two is that one is an onboard video adaptor built into the motherboard, and one added later. The onboard, if exists, should already be disabled in the BIOS, allowing the addon video card to work. However, if you have two video adaptor cards, one should be removed.

17. 2003/06/26
    Lonny Jones

Did things work out ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.