1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Meaning of Error Code 32768

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kumaon, 2006/08/27.

1. 2006/08/27
    kumaon

kumaon Inactive Thread Starter

Windows XP will not start (with my Hard disk) and not even with my Windows XP CD. It is giving me an error code 32768....saying File\i386\bioinfo.inf could not be loaded. What does that mean? How can I find out that my CD rom has not crash?

2. 2006/08/28
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Hi, kumaon. Welcome to Windows BBS! :)

I am guessing you typed the filename "bioinfo.inf" incorrectly.

I Googled error code 32768 biosinf.inf and a few results popped up.

I hope this helps!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

5. 2006/08/30
    kumaon

kumaon Inactive Thread Starter

What do I do next?

My problem started when I tried to boot after a system shutdown. It was working fine until then. When I tried to boot, I got an error saying that the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <window root>\system32\hal.dll and this was followed by 'Please reinstall copy of the file'. Then when I tried to boot with the Windows XP CD, it gave me the “error code 32768 biosinf.inf”. I tied to make some changes to BIOS setting to change the boot sequence, but that did not help. I installed a new CD Rom but that did not help. The machine is currently dead......and I do not know what to do next. Thanks in advance for your help.

6. 2006/08/30
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Hi, kumaon.

I googled system32\hal.dll "Please reinstall copy of the file " and came up with nothing. :( It seems strange that Google hasn't picked up those strings anywhere else on the web.

Are you absolutely sure the error messages you quoted are EXACTLY as they appeared on your screen? If not, please pay special attention to writing and posting the ENTIRE error code messages EXACTLY as they appear on screen. That might help us make some progress.

Have you tried Arie's link above? If so, exactly what steps were you able to perform, what step did you get stuck at, what did you observe, etc.?

Have you already tried the potential fix my Google search above located? If you did, it would be helpful if you communicate that fact and details about what you observed (such as changes in your computer's behavior after doing so, for example).
    WARNING: Editing your BIOS configuration can potentially render your system unbootable if you happen to make the wrong change(s). Proceed at your own risk.

I am sorry if detailed communications regarding our suggestions seems like a lot of "extra" work but I think we are more inclined to investigate further knowing at least you give our links and suggestions a try and what you observe.

:confused: Dead??? Does that mean you can no longer power up the computer? If not, exactly where in the boot process do you get any error messages? When the computer hangs during the boot process, exactly when does that hang occur?

Assuming your computer is not "dead" and at least attempts to boot, do you hear any beeps? If so, how many beeps? Short beeps? Long beeps? If you get a sequence of beeps, note exactly what that sequence is (such as 3 short > 1 long > 2 short, etc.) These are "POST" (Power On Self Test, if I recall the name correctly) beep codes that can sometimes be used to help diagnose problems.

Answers to my questions and my ideas below might allow you to make some progress.

Ideas:

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping your F8 key immediately after you turn the computer on until a menu screen appears? Does your computer behave any differently when you try to boot into Safe Mode? Do you see any different error messages, for example? Are there any other things you notice that might be helpful for us in our investigation?

Is your installed Windows XP file system FAT32 or is it NTFS? If it is FAT32, perhaps you can boot with a DOS disk and copy [FONT= "Courier New"]hal.dll[/FONT] to the C:\WINDOWS\System32\ directory on your hard drive somehow.

If I think of any more ideas, I will post them.

Please keep in mind, more precise details you provide gives us more to go on for our ideas about how to fix your issue. :)

EDIT:
    Are you familiar with making changes to your BIOS? If not, perhaps you did not save your changes after modifying the boot sequence. (In many BIOS setups, the F10 key will save the changes and exit the BIOS. (Your BIOS may be different.)

WARNING: Editing your BIOS configuration can potentially render your system unbootable if you happen to make the wrong change(s). Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited: 2006/08/30