1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

McAfee Site Adviser

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by floyd, 2006/11/28.

1. 2006/11/28
    floyd

floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I saw an add in the USA Today paper today for McAfee free Site Adviser.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ie_postinstall.html

It looks cool so I installed it selected OK for new browser help object when prompted, went to IE7 and there is suppose to be a button on the toolbar and it is suppose to rate Google searches according to safety of sites.

Well I don't have the SiteAdvisor on my toolbars and the ratings don't show up when I do a search. I tried to get help from McAfee but couldn't get through. So here I am to my go to guys for real help.

It shows up on my in my installed plugins as 2 listings as it said it should be and both show enabled. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted etc and still nothing. I would really like to try this thing if anybody has had experience with it. It acts just like it's not on the computer. I tried McAfee's online diagnostic tool and it said it couldn't find it installed. Go figure.

I use XP home SP-2 fully updated.

Thanks in advance.
    Floyd

2. 2006/11/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

floyd--When you search at Google.com you may see a malware warning from Google, itself, about any site that it feels may be harmful.
    http://www.lattimore.id.au/2006/11/17/google-malware-warning/
    So if your search engine is Google, you may not need SiteAdvisor.
    Do you see Site Advisor in Control Panel|Add/Remove? If not, it seems it has not installed. Perhaps there is a conflict with IE7.
    If you still want Site Advisor, uninstall (not delete) from Add/Remove (if it is there), download a fresh installation file from http://www.siteadvisor.com and try installing again.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/28
    floyd

Welshjim, yes the bizarre thing is it is listed in Add/Remove Programs. It's listed as a plugin in IE7, and I checked with a BHO detector program and it found it OK and it's enabled. It even has a checked entry in my msconfig/startup lists so I'm confident it's installed OK. I also use Slim Browser which is a IE shell and it doesn't show up there either. Now I'm determined even more to try to figure it out.
    I think it would be much more thorough then Google to detect bad sites before you go there.
    Any other ideas will be welcome.
    Floyd

5. 2006/11/28
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

You can get a 30 day trial of the new SiteAdvisor Plus program from here

Not sure if it's worth purchasing tho, to be honest. Certainly not for me.

6. 2006/11/28
    floyd

TeMerc, thanks. I thought about doing that but the free one is all I need I think. I'm concerned that if I buy it I'll have the same problem getting the browser to find it, but maybe I could get some help from McAfee then. I think they have a 30 trial period. Maybe I'll end up doing that. I think something in windows is causing it not to show up.
    Floyd

7. 2006/11/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hello Floyd,
    I use Mcafee SiteAdvisor myself and here are a few things you can try to ensure SiteAdvisor is showing up in the toolbar when using Internet Explorer. :)

First open Internet Explorer then go to tools< Internet Options. Then click on the advanced tab. Then scroll down a little bit and check the box that says enable third-party browser extensions. Once you have done that then close and reopen Internet Explorer. Do you see it in the toolbar now? If you still don't see it then right click on the toolbar and you should see Mcafee SiteAdvisor along with some other buttons. Make sure Mcafee SiteAdvisor is checked. Now you should be able to see it and it should work if you use google to search for something. :D

I hope that this helped to solve your problem. :) BTW let me know if you experience any other difficulties with it. :cool:

8. 2006/11/28
    floyd

Evan, thank you very much. That is what I needed in IE to use it. I do have a problem in Slim Browser yet though. SB is the IE engine with a different interface so when I change thins in one it carries over to the other. In SB it's on the toolbar but is grayed out and the drop down arrow does not respond. Any ideas on that one. SB is really my browser of choice. Much nicer then IE.
    Thanks again for the suggestion and if you have an idea how I can get to activate in SB let me know. BTW SB has all the selections, options and such that IE has.
    Floyd

9. 2006/11/28
    Evan Omo

Hello Floyd,
    I am glad that you can now use Mcafee SiteAdvisor when using Internet Explorer. :) Its good to know that a suggesstion helped. :D

Now, as far as Slim Browser is concerned the only thing that I can think of that would cause Mcafee SiteAdvisor to not respond would be that the version of Mcafee SiteAdvisor you installed was only meant to be used with Internet Explorer. Also can Slim Browser disable or enable add-ons like you can in IE7? If Slim Browser has access to the add-ons menu like in IE7 go there by going to tool< internet options then click on programs then Manage Add-ons. Make sure the Mcafee Siteadvisor toolbar and the Browser Helper Object are enabled. Then restart Slim Browser.

I have a few more questions: is Mcafee Siteadvisor still having problems after making sure that the add-ons are enabled? Do you recieve the same symptoms where Mcafee Siteadvisor stops responding when you are using Internet Explorer? Or does Siteadvisor only have problems when you are using it in Slim Browser? Please let me know. Thanks! :)

BTW for common troubleshooting tips about Mcafee SiteAdvisor visit this page. It may answer some of your future questions about the program that you may have. :D http://support.siteadvisor.com/support-center/

Last edited: 2006/11/29
  10. 2006/11/29
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

For further support there is now an official forum set aside for the SiteAdvisor plugin. It's actualy been there a while, but I was just notified of it.

You can find it here

11. 2006/11/29
    floyd

Thanks everyone for all you help. After checking with the Slimbrowser site, it looks like SB only supports their own proprietary plugins albeit some unique ones but not SA. SA wont show up in SB on the list of plugins. According to McAfee it only works on specific browsers such as IE and FireFox. I guess they weren't kidding. I thought I might be able to use it because SB lets me do everything IE can do and a lot more. This is the first thing I've encountered something that won't work in SB if it works in IE. I'm going to keep 'futzing' around with it and if I discover anything I'll post back.
    Floyd

12. 2006/11/29
    Evan Omo

Hello again Floyd,
    I am very happy that you were able to run and use McAfee Siteadvisor without a problem in Internet Explorer. :)

Its unfortunate that McAfee SiteAdvisor only works with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. :( I know that you wanted to use SiteAdvisor with Slim Browser but its also unfortunate that McAfee won't release the program for any other browser. :mad: I am sorry you faced this issue but I guess if you want to surf safely then you are just going to have to live with using SiteAdvisor with IE. :)

I wish all the best when surfing the internet with Internet Explorer 7 and McAfee SiteAdvisor in the future. ;)