1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Matsonic MS8188E Series Mainboard: USB1 or USB2?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pat Alley, 2005/08/21.

1. 2005/08/21
    Pat Alley

Pat Alley Inactive Thread Starter

My long time computer store sold me an AMD2000 computer with Windows ME a year ago and loaded everything for me, telling me the computer had USB2 (which I know is faster than USB1 but that is the extent of my knowledge). Unfortunately since then they ceased trading. I do not have an e-mail address for Matsonic, and their website 'Support' needs a website address of the vendor, which the sale receipt does not list so I have no one else to put this question to! The computer has a Matsonic MS8188E Series Mainboard which has 6 USB 2.0 ports. However it does say in the Instruction book:

1. The USB 2.0 driver only supports Windows XP and Windows 2000.

2. If you connect a usb 2.0 hub to the root hub, plugging USB devices into this hub, the system might not successfully execute certain USB devices’ connection because it could not recognise these devices (whatever that means!).

Presently the only USB apparatus I use is a digital camera and an Epson "All in one" printer which perform satisfactorily. Do I therefore have to assume that with Windows ME installed the ports only support USB1? how can I tell if this is so and in practical terms does it matter in so far as what apparatus needs USB2?

Kind regards,
    Pat

2. 2005/08/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Windows Me has support for USB2 through Windows Update - see here

If you look in Device Manager (in Me?) under USB devices and see an Enhanced USB controller you are running USB2.

USB1 peripherals will work in USB2 ports, but will only transfer at USB1 speeds. USB2 devices clearly transfer at USB2 rates.
    The interaction of hubs and devices plugged into them is variable - some devices will not work of a hub at all, others only from a powered hub. A lot depends on the power requirement of the device which may draw it's power from the USB port. Typical example is a pen drive, card reader and some scanners (Canon Lide 35 for example). Most hardware devices such as printers, many scanners and digital camersa have their own power supply.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/22
    Pat Alley

Thankyou Pete for your very informative reply;and yes it does say in Device Manager that it is 'enhanced USB'. Live and learn!

Kind regards,
    Pat

5. 2006/03/07
    Pat Alley

USB1 or USB2?

Some time ago I bought an AMD 2400 computer with a Matsonic MS8188E Series Mainboard. In spite of the vendor telling me it had USB2 (knowing Windows Me had been loaded) the Matsonic instruction book seems to contradict this by a note saying quote:

2. USB 2.0 Driver Limitations
    2-1 The USB 2.0 driver only supports Windows XP and Windows 2000.
    2-2 If you connect a USB 2.0 hub to the root hub , plugging USB devices into this hub, the system might not successfully execute certain USB devices' connection because it could not recognize these devices.

Since shortly afterwards the vendor went out of business I tried using the Matsonic 'Support services' (which can only be accessed through its web-site) for an explanation of this note; but my entry is always rejected.

I later bought an Epson CX3600 printer and needed to phone Epson for help in setting it up. Afterwards the helper said that I must have USB2 for the setup to have been successful. Thus I am confused! Is there a test one can make to determine if indeed any of my 6 USB outputs are capable of USB2 speed?

Kind regards,
    Pat Alley

6. 2006/03/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Pat Alley--
    The most important issue could be "Do you have any USB capability at all? "
    Look in Device Manager. Near or at the bottom of the list do you have the item "Universal Serial Bus Contollers "? If so click the + and see what is in the list. If you have any USB items, you have USB capability. Now do you see the word "Enhanced" in the names of any of the items? If so you have USB2.
    However, if you do not have "Enhanced ", all is not lost.
    Firstly, most USB2 devices will work on USB1, just much slower. With a printer, speed should not be much of an issue.
    Secondly, whether or not you have "Enhanced" you may have to get drivers for the Epson unit. Have you asked for or looked on their support pages for drivers suitable for WinME? (The Matsonic message probably meant that Win2000 and WinXP had built in drivers for USB. With WinME you have to find them yourself, usually from the peripheral's manufacturer.)

7. 2006/03/07
    Pat Alley

Thankyou so much for your reply Jim which helped to put things into context.
    Under Universal Serial Bus Converter it read :
    -----------------------------------------------
    USB 2.0 Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    ------------------------------------------------
    VIA = IBM Via Voice UK-English. As you can see the only word "Enhanced" appears in the 4th line down. Is this enough to confirm I do have USB2?

Kind regards,
    Pat Alley

8. 2006/03/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Pat

Your Matsonic MS8188E board supports USB 2 - see here ....

http://www.matsonic.com/mb/productsdata/ms8188e.htm
    and as indicated in Device manager.

BTW - VIA has nothing to do with IBM Via Voice - your mobo has a VIA chipset.

9. 2006/03/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Pat Alley--It seems you are all set to use USB2, but your printer is not working.
    So,
    1) Be sure you are installing the printer correctly. You should install the Software from the CD before connecting the printer to either the PC or to power, or
    2) ask Epson for drivers for WinME.
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportIndex.jsp
    P.S. There is an outside chance that some of your USB ports are not USB2. I do not know how to determine which is which other than trying connect the printer through each. I still suspect a driver problem.

Last edited: 2006/03/07
  10. 2006/03/08
    Pat Alley

Thankyou Pete and Jim for putting me on the "straight and narrow ". Over the VIA I stand corrected Pete which is not difficult since I learned that I didn't have to pay mother board, eat her cookies and look through the windows she supposedly cleaned! Also Jim all my problems are solved since the Epson is now working and Maiden Printer came in first at 10 to 1....... though you may have to ask Pete to interpret that one!

Kind regards,
    Pat Alley

11. 2006/03/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

:) :) :)

12. 2006/03/08
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Pat Alley--And the solution was?