1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Manually updating WinXP from the Update files [using a script]

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by LostUser, 2006/10/13.

1. 2006/10/13
    LostUser

LostUser Inactive Thread Starter

I am looking for a way to manually update WindowsXP machines by running a script. The updates are already downloaded.

1. However, I need a way to check and see what updates are on a PC so only the ones that aren't done will run.

2. If I could also automate getting a list of updates I don't have that would be nice too.

I am familiar with AutoIt which is what I was planning to use to write the script/program to do what I need.

I think I have the registry location but am not totally sure...here is what I have.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates

If there are any good freeware utilities I would be willing to try them too or an informative website.

There is a software package out there called Belarc Advisor which I used to find the location of the updates that are on the machine. However, Microsofts website shows more updates have been done. Belarc also shows what updates I don't have.

I am not sure whether the Belarc software contacts microsofts website or uses some internal function to check for this...or even how accurate it is.

Thanks

2. 2006/10/13
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/16
    LostUser

What I am really looking for is something free or enough information to do it on my own.

I just want to do a basic check to see if an update has been installed on the PC then install the update.

The hardest part for me is finding out whether the update on the PC has been done or not.

5. 2006/10/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Respond here with:
    "hey admin, please move this thread to the Networking forum ".
    You'll get the answers there.

6. 2006/10/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Moved :)

7. 2006/10/17
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

If you have a server, the obvious option is Microsoft's WSUS, which is a server application that will allow you to manage the roll out of patches as you wish.

If you have a small network have a look at NetChk which is free for a year for less than ten PCs. If you have a larger network, have a look at GfiLANGaurd. Both are recommended by Windows Secrets. I've had a play with GfiLANGuard and it looks good.

8. 2006/10/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

9. 2006/10/18
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

10. 2006/10/18
    LostUser

Thanks TonyT. Heh...sort of helpful. There were only two scripts relating to windows updates at that location ReggieB.

Although the script that shows the updates is pretty lame...as far as it keeps putting up a msgbox for every six items for each update. Oddly, it shows many blank items before it even starts showing updates...not sure what it was looking at at these points. It did however, validate a possible location I had found in the registry for checking updates.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\

AutoIt has the functionality to browse down through the registry without needing to know what key is next so this may help.

One odd thing is that registry location seems to show the key SP1 as WinXP stock, SP2 as WinXPsp1 and SP3 as WinXPsp2.

So what I can probably do is do silent installs (and norestart switches) of all the updates (aside from the ones that require restarts immediately). Will test this out and see how it goes.

WSUS is not an option because we do not have and do not intend to buy a server at this time. Updates will eventually come from another site but in the meantime I really feel the need to get the PCs at this site updated. I just want to automate it to some degree.

Thanks for the help all.

11. 2006/10/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

re updates and naming:
    some updates will have SP3 in the name. To get an idea of this, go to add-remove pgms & "show updates" and you'll see what I mean.

12. 2006/10/19
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive