1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Long pause at boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krypticChewie, 2007/12/14.

1. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

krypticChewie Inactive Thread Starter

I was getting a couple more alerts with the first hack but with this latest I'm getting many more. It even caused a crash with the screensaver with an alert.

2. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Alerts from what? What are the exact messages?

Why do you think the hack caused the crash? All it has done is started services at a different time (milliseconds different) than previously. It starts no more or no less services, no more or no less applications.

To test, put everything back to default. SHD service set to automatic, all hacks disabled, SGObackup.reg merged, ZA set to load on startup and reboot. Do your normal computing (or whatever you've been doing for the last few hours) for a considerable length of time and note the behavior (long enough to determine whether or not you get alerts). During this logon session, paste the following command in a command window and hit enter.

sc query > "%userprofile%\desktop\runningsvc1.txt "

When satisfied, merge the ServiceGroupOrder.reg file and reboot. During this logon session (after much the same computing done) run the following command from a command window.

sc query > "%userprofile%\desktop\runningsvc2.txt "

Compare the two text files, noting any difference in the number of services. The command will enumerate only running services. This will show whether any services have failed to start.

You can also check the Event Viewer just after logon. It will show if a service has failed to start, and possibly any other errors that may occur.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Oh! No no. It's Zone Alarm's own alerts I'm talking about. I don't think it's the hack. I think it's Zone Alarm from reading their forums about settings not saving.

Anywho, the last hack, if new services get installed or removed will there be any problems?
    Especially in a case where I'm using the old reg key, install/unistall a service, and then run the last one you gave me.

5. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Not that this important to the thread but CnC3 works much better with SLI!!

6. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That would depend totally on the service's group membership and dependency(ies). No way for me to know the answer without knowing every possible service addition. Leave the reg hack in place until/unless a problem arises from it. Don't just undo it in anticipation of a problem when adding an application that you know will be adding a service.

Lets hope the ZA programmers can find a more permanent solution to this widespread problem. For now, you have a solution that works for you.

7. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Heya Kryptic,

I've modified the ServiceGroupOrder.reg file a bit ....... moved the TDI group down a notch, placing a bit more cushion between the vsmon service and the SHD service. Despite not having the extreme delay that you were experiencing, this adjustment decreased my logon time by 30 seconds. I've uploaded the new reg to the same link I sent you via PM. If you would, rename the current to ServiceGroupOrder1.reg and delete the zip file, then download, extract and merge the new reg. Reboot and see if there's any noticeable difference.

8. 2007/12/30
    krypticChewie

I renamed it to ServiceGroupOrder Old.reg. That's ok, right?

9. 2007/12/30
    krypticChewie

It works! Same Monitor View problem but that's it. Good job!

10. 2007/12/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Did you notice any improvement in logon time?

11. 2007/12/30
    krypticChewie

Yes actually. You da man!

12. 2007/12/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That's great. I'd say that wraps up this problem then. :)

Incidentally, I'd like to point out the first reply you got to this topic. Whiskeyman hit it right on the head! :D

13. 2007/12/30
    krypticChewie

Whiskey is smarter than the average bear!!

14. 2008/01/02
    krypticChewie

Just as a little by the way. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and then re-installed and still has delay without the hacks. BUT, even with no Zone Alarm nVidia MonitorView still displays wrong information on startup. Seems it must be run after something else loads.

15. 2008/01/02
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

The biggest fix for this problem that I have found over the years ( other than load nothing other than essentals at bootup ) is to push the proper buttons and walk away Amazing how much faster this things boots. You know the age old Story about " A watched pot never boils. "
    If you stop things from loading at bootup then you have to wait for them to load later. But then again many times they may load quicker later on AFTER everything else is up and running.
    Over all I have found the better running machine to be one that has the LEAST loaded at bootup.

BillyBob