1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Long pause at boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krypticChewie, 2007/12/14.

1. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

krypticChewie Inactive Thread Starter

I think I'm going to leave the hardware in but not sure if I'll anything else till ZA starts behaving.

2. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

I think I'll copy this partition and upgrade this partition and see what happens. If anything I could always just put back the backup, right?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Are you referring to using a drive image program to create an image of the current setup? If so, then that is a viable procedure if you want to try out the 64bit OS. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.

Side note: Advise a clean install as opposed to an upgrade.

5. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Well I was thinking more along the lines of just using Partition Magic Boot CD and copy this partition to another HD I have in my machine which in unpartitioned, nada on it.

6. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You would be better off just installing XP-64 to the other partition and have a dual boot machine. Then if you don't keep the XP-64 you can just format that partition and edit your boot.ini to reflect the change and run a fixmbr or fixboot command so the mbr is in agreement too.

7. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Well I'm lazy and I was thinking if I upgrade what I have and it works life will be good. But if not I jusy copy the backup and I'm back to where I was. Not so?

8. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

It's not that easy. However, being admittedly lazy, you'll find the least amount of work is in creating a dual boot environment. :p

I know you want to get your new hardware working to it's optimal potential, but lets stay on track here in this topic with getting the delayed boot issue worked out. ;)

9. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

How come dual boot is easier?

10. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

I did the last thingy and it worked. Still got the NVIDIA Monitor problem though.

11. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Btw I just noticed that my boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr are on my D:\ drive, which is my My Documents folder.

12. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Just to be sure, merging the ServiceGroupOrder.reg file prevents the delay, without using the enableXP hack?

My impression was that the MonitorView problem was only noticable when using the hack. Are you saying that using no hacks and the original ServiceGroupOrder, MonitorView reports correctly when starting?

Those files should be in the drive root. No idea why they would be in your documents or how the system is/could be using them from there.

Dual boot would be easier because you can't just copy the information to another partition then copy it back and expect it to work. There will be many system files that won't even allow you to copy them and will be overwritten by the 64 bit OS. As I said, it's not that easy. Dual booting requires you to boot to an installation cd, format a partition and install the OS. Then load drivers and install software, you're done ..... relatively easy. Benefit is it keeps your current OS in place and you can use it at will.

13. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Yes, very correct.

I think it has to do with ZA itself. In that I believe that even if the service is running I don't think certain allowances are made if the zclient isn't running. Let me try some stuff and I'll let you know.

Poo. Anyway to move them?

14. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Ok. I think I see something. When everything is normal (getting the delay) zlclient starts before Nvidia Monitor and everything is cool.

I notice that when I'm using either of your last two fixes (hack and reg file) that if I exit Monitor and start it over it works. However, if I manage to do that before zlclient starts then I get the problem.

15. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Excellent!! :D

Not sure what you mean here. The zlclient is running. When allowed to load at startup the vsmon service is loaded by the system and zlclient is loaded via a run key. Using the altered ServiceGroupOrder should have no effect on MonitorView at all. I'll look back and see where MonitorView is loading from to see if I've overlooked something.

Make sure you have hidden files shown and double check for the existence of those files in C:

16. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Check.

Files not found in C:

17. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

When I was resizing my partitions to make my page file partition larger for the new ram I noticed that the C partition is logical and the others are primary. Could this be why the files like boot.ini are on D?

18. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

And now looking under computer management I notice that C is Boot, D is System and E is Page File.

19. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

RE: MonitorView - My best guess is that with the delay of a normal boot, MonitorView gets hung along with everything else and therefore doesn't populate it's information until after ZA has completed loading. Without the delay, MonitorView completes it's loading process prior to ZA completely loading (ZA takes quite a long time to load), thus giving inaccurate information. May well be that the only workaround for that is to start MonitorView manually. Of course, you could always go back to the delay with normal loading too. :p

20. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Yep, there's the problem. Not something I want to tackle in this topic either, nor am I quite sure of the exact cure for it off the top of my head (short of formatting everything and starting from scratch). Start another topic in the XP forum and provide the relevant information - chances are good that you'll get that worked out as well.

21. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Well MonitorView isn't so bad but is there a way to be sure that other things aren't similarly affected without waiting for symptoms?