1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Long pause at boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by krypticChewie, 2007/12/14.

1. 2007/12/28
    krypticChewie

krypticChewie Inactive Thread Starter

I got the new video card. It's the same as the other one. I'm planning to run both in SLI.

Any suggestions at all before I do this? Maybe about the other sound card?

Btw I still use the on board audio so I can't disable it.

2. 2007/12/28
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I'd say remove the sound card then put in the new video card. Then add the sound card back in, see what the IRQ assignment is and try different slots for the audio card as needed. May end up assigning IRQs in the BIOS.

Leaving the AC97 enabled is fine since you use it.

I pretty much expected the latest hack to help. ZA takes long enough to start that it still hasn't completed prior to SHD starting. Worth a shot though! :rolleyes: I've been playin with some of the other options I mentioned too ....... more to come later :cool:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/12/28
    krypticChewie

Can't wait.

If you solve this can I post the solution on the Zone Alarm forum?
    With all due recognition of course.
    I already made a post there with a link to this thread and I made a post to the beta team.

As soon as I can bare to take both my machines off (have to move the other one out to get at this one to open it) I'll let you know how the IRQs go. I\ll be checking them in Sys Info but if I need to set them in the BIOS as you have suggested I'll need your help.

I'm using a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe btw

5. 2007/12/28
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Test results are in on my end. Once again, since I don't have the conflicting 5 minute delay it's basically impossible for me to know if this will prevent it, but it has a good chance of it if my previous conclusions are correct. It did speed the logon process on the machine with ZA loaded by 30 seconds, so I'm hopeful. First the instructions, then an explanation (yes, another one :p )

Kryptic, I've sent you a zipped registry file. Extract the file to your desktop.

Lets first make a backup of the registry key. Copy the contents of the code box below, then paste it into a command window and hit enter. It will create SGObackup.reg on the desktop.

Code:
    regedit /e  "%userprofile%\desktop\SGObackup.reg"  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceGroupOrder "

Once that's done, disable the current hack using the disable command in the enableZA.txt file.
    Open the Zone Alarm control panel and select the option to 'Load on startup'.
    Now double click the ServiceGroupOrder.reg file you extracted to your desktop and allow it to merge with the registry.

Reboot.

If problems arise, double click the SGObackup.reg and merge it to restore the original entries.

Now the explanation .........

The ServiceGroupOrder.reg is a custom created registry export using the ServiceGroupOrder export from your machine here. The difference is that the ShellSvcGroup entry has been moved to just above the TDI entry. This will cause the SHD service in the ShellSvcGroup to load prior to the vsmon service in the TDI group, since both services have a Start value of 0x2 (Automatic). My hope is that it loads quickly enough that it is fully loaded prior to vsmon initiating, thus avoiding the conflict (I hope ...... still don't know for sure that it won't conflict with the service just because it is running).

Now, I meticulously went through all of the services that will be affected by this move, which are services in the TDI group, the Net BIOSGroup and the ShellSvcGroup, checking each service's dependencies and startup mode to ensure that with this change we won't be putting the cart before the horse on startup. I have also tested the move on 2 separate machines with no adverse or noticable difference. Neither of the 2 machines report any errors and all services process as they should.

Incidentally, I also checked the services under the NDIS group (next group up) and if need be we can move the ShellSvcGroup above it to allow even a bit more time for it to process (tested too). I also at one time moved the TDI group to below the ShellSvcGroup group instead, placing the NetBIOSGroup ahead of them both with no ill effect.

Bottom line, if the current move doesn't provide enough cushion between services, we can try moving things some more.

6. 2007/12/28
    krypticChewie

Right now I'm adding hardware.

Just added 2gigs RAM. Up to 4 now. :D

Now on to the video card.

Got Delta on IRQ 17 but Marvell NIC is on 17 too.
    But I'll use the NVIDA NIC instead.
    That'll be cool, right?

7. 2007/12/28
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That should work if the Marvell NIC is disabled.

8. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Poo!!

Windows isn't seeing all the RAM. BIOS seeing 4gb but windows seeing 2.5!! And 2.7 one time.

9. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

I didn't see the file. You emailed it?

Still no 4gb. Poo!

10. 2007/12/29
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Thats just part of it - with 4 gigs (using four sticks), your memory timing will drop from T1 to T2 and I expect your memory speed in MHz will drop from 400 to 333. This is pretty typical with XP.

;)

11. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Well I can't even get to see 4 gigs.

But what is T1 and T2 and why will I drop to 333 and is there anything I can do about it?

12. 2007/12/29
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Here's a general primer. T1 and T2 refer to the command rate and reference one clock cycle vs two clock cycles. As to the 400MHz vs 333MHz, this was related to the memory controller on the processor itself and AMD originally recommended no more than 4 banks of memory be used on most 939 CPU's to run at a full 400MHz. You've gone from 4 banks to 8 banks (two per module) and my guess is (yes I'm speculative, not positive) your BIOS has dropped your memory speed to 333 MHz to avoid corruption or crashes. This is pretty typical.

The bigger issue is XP not recognizing 4 gigs and I'm not aware of any solution to this issue. You have a lot of company in the "disappointed users" category on this one.

The best overall memory and BIOS guide I'm aware of can be found here. I'm not sure just how good the free version is any more but as a long time subscriber to his paid version, I continue to ante up each year because its the best.

;)

13. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Since you didn't receive it, I uploaded it and have sent you a PM with the link.

14. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Thanks noahdfear.

I've having some problems with this new RAM and the video cards.

Seems when I install video drivers and restart the screen goes funny when I get back into windows. As in the whole screen is all messed up stuff.

And it seems that the PC can't see the RAM cause of XP 32bit.
    Anyone thinks it's crazy to do an upgrade to 64bit. As in, actual upgrade, not reinstall.

15. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I say yes. I think you'd be adding more frustration. You'll find that you need to obtain 64 bit drivers for most, if not all of your hardware, which may prove to be a challenge. You may also run into some compatibility issues with your software programs.

Is it the drivers for the new card giving you fits?

16. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

17. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

Actually, it's the fact that I have 4 gigs of RAM in my system but windows only seeing 2.5 gigs.

18. 2007/12/29
    krypticChewie

19. 2007/12/29
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I would heed Dave's advice.

For the time being, go back to your original (2 stick) memory configuration.

Make sure you use the SLI Bridge between video cards and check your power connections to the molex on the board by your video cards and make sure both cards have power from the PSU (I'm assuming PCIE power connectors are used with those cards). You will also have to enable SLI in the BIOS - may be best to clear CMOS and start from scratch.

Personally, I'd prefer to have you get this ZA issue resolved before you start adding other factors to the mix. In fact, I'd go back to where you were before adding the memory and video card and continue working on this issue before introducing anything else to the mix. Thats my approach to problem solving and you guys were getting oh so close .............

;)

20. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Try adding the /3GB switch. You could also see if the /PAE switch helps.

21. 2007/12/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Well advised, IMO. I'm anxious to see the results of the latest attempt too. :p Once we get the ZA issue resolved, you can start another topic in the hardware forum to get help with those issues.