1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved locating failed Win7 updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kevinjustine, 2011/01/13.

1. 2011/01/13
    kevinjustine

kevinjustine Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi Folks, It's me again. I have a very simple question, I hope. I have had quite a few Win7 Microsoft updates fail recently. I have no idea why or what error codes were shown. I would like to try to install these updates again. Hopefully they will install correctly, however when they do fail I will be able to follow up and try to resolve them. Now my question, how do I locate old updates so I may install them?

Thanks.

Last edited: 2011/01/13
  2. 2011/01/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Control Panel->Windows Updates-> "View Update History" link.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/13
    kevinjustine

Hi thanks for the quick response. I have looked at "View Update History." I followed the instructions and was able to find and remove a failed update. (now here's the but) But, I did not see how to find the failed update and reinstall it. I am ashamed that I will always have problems understanding the language of the PC.

5. 2011/01/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

You can try the Restore Hidden Updates... IF that doesn't work and you didn't write down the failed numbers - you're probably out of luck.

6. 2011/01/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Just go to Control Panel > Windows Update and click on 'Check for Updates' in the left hand pane.

A list of updates available should be shown which include any that failed to install on an earlier occasion - click on the link x Updates are available - note the KB numbers and allow Windows Update to install them and if they fail note the error code.

kevinjustine likes this.
  7. 2011/01/13
    kevinjustine

THANK YOU!!! Your suggestions/advice was just the thing to help me get to the route of the problem, which I still couldn't explain. The updates are still failing, and I'm trying to resolve them, but that's another problem.

Again thank you!

8. 2011/01/13
    kevinjustine

Failing Windows updates

I just posted a reply stating my problem has been resloved, but I didn't use the correct method to close the issue.

9. 2011/01/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Try this solution.

Got to windows explorer and click on the > next to your C: drive or whichever drive your windows 7 is installed on. Then click on the > next to Windows. Scroll down to find a folder called Software Distribution and again click on > next to it. Then click on the file "Download ". That will open all of its contents in the right hand pane. Now, click on the first file in the list to highlight it, scroll down to the last file in the list hold down the Ctrl key and click on the last file, all the files should now be highlighted. Now right click anywhere in the area of the files and select Delete and answer yes to the pop up window.

Now go to Control Panel click on Windows Update and click on Check for Updates in the left hand pane. You are now starting with a clean slate.

This may cure the problem, let us know what happens and any error codes/messages you receive.

kevinjustine likes this.
  10. 2011/01/14
    kevinjustine

I deleted the files in the Download pane. I then tried to install the updates.
    The two updates failed. The error code was 80246007. The updates are:
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2412171)
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2483110)

I hope you're able to give me future help? I do thank each of you for your assistance so far!

11. 2011/01/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

kevinjustine likes this.
  12. 2011/01/15
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

13. 2011/01/15
    kevinjustine

I went to the internet and downloaded the two updates. I then went and checked for outstanding updates. There were none. When I looked at the update history it did not show either of the updates as successfully installed. I tried to download them again, but was told they are on the system. May I assume that they loaded successfully?

I thank each of you Guys for taking the time and taking my hand to guide me out of the woods! TODAY. . . .

14. 2011/01/16
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Something is not quite right. If the downloads had installed they would be in the history list of installed updates.

Run through this fix. It is similar to the one I gave earlier to delete all the update downloads but includes switching of the update agent before deleting the files. That was missing and I have now changed my guide for this operation.

The link I gave in post 11 for the fix is a bit confusing, too many download links, so use this one.

http://www.brothersoft.com/fix-wu-download-305003.html

Click on Click to Download next to Server 1 or 2. When the box pops up select Run so it will automatically install. Open the program and run the fix.

After that, reboot and then check for updates again.

kevinjustine likes this.
  15. 2011/01/17
    kevinjustine

Markmadras, Tried to in stall the updates, KB2412171 and KB2483110, using post 13. The result appeared to be the same as I entered into post 12. As above. I don't know if they are installed.

16. 2011/01/17
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

So again these two updates appear to have installed but do not show in the history?

Have you done a Shut Down (not a restart) since downloading the updates, some only install when the system is shut down. You should see a message saying it is installing updates.

Did you run the Windows Update fix from the link I provided, if not, do not use that link as I have since learned that it is an untrusted site, use this link and instructions.

http://majorgeeks.com/Fix_WU_d6278.html

Just below DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS click on the second lick "Download@MajorGeeks ". A bar should appear across the top of the page, click on it and select Download File. When complete, open the program and run the fix.

Clear the Download folder as before and try the downloads again.

Last edited: 2011/01/17
  17. 2011/01/17
    kevinjustine

MARKMADRAS:
    I think, I am, totally confused. No matter what I do the two updates will allow me to install them. I think, kb2412171 & kb2483110, don't like me!
    This is only one three items that are vexing me. All I can think of saying is: BRING BACK VISTA!!!

18. 2011/01/18
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

These are important security updates for Outlook, you would be advised to persue a resolution.

Please explain what is happening, have you used the fix in the link I gave. If there is a problem with Windows Update it will continue to cause issues with future updates leaving your PC vulnerable to attack.

What is the second and third problem?

19. 2011/01/18
    kevinjustine

I went back and followed your instructions in post 13. I used the link you supplied in post 15. I shut down the PC. When I brought it back up I checked for updates. There were no outstanding updates. I checked the history and saw that the two that failed had not been retried. What do I do next?

20. 2011/01/18
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I am running out of ideas. Try this guide, it is similar to what you have already done but goes a bit deeper.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6858603_install-failed-microsoft-updates.html

Windows update should automatically reinstall failed updates so it is of some concern that it is not doing so. Lets see if this fix does any good and then the final attempt will be to reinstall "Windows Update" which may require your Windows 7 OS disc, do you have one?

21. 2011/01/18
    kevinjustine

I went through the steps in the EHOW.EXE link. I'm sorry to say I got the same results. FAILURE. . . .

I do not have a Windows 7 OS disc.