1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

LIME WIRE - What was I thinking

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by buckshotdad1960, 2009/03/09.

1. 2009/03/14
    buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960 Inactive Thread Starter

Ok, I did all that already. I successfully renamed it and everything. I looked it up! However the situation has not changed, everything remains the same. The only thing different now is I have redownloaded 7zip so that I can go back run through the process again with a working 7zip. How should I open it? When I right click on it I have the option to open it but if I click on the 7zip option line which is under the open option, another box opens to the side with 11 different options. What should I do to get 7zip up and running properly?

2. 2009/03/14
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

If installing a newer version of 7zip you first need to uninstall the older version.

Use your control panel add/remove software program and look for the appropriate 7zip application removal.

The file you downloaded does end with the extension *.exe but it is a self executing installer package. All you need to do to is double click on it. You may get a security popup asking for verification to run it, if so Run it. A box pops up confirming install location, click ok or next ( I forget which) and it installs.

I personally have not set any options or allow integration as I already have winrar as default for my daytoday zip/unzip use. I also have winzip. When I wish to use 7zip or winzip I run them manually.

If 7zip is your choice, you may set up the options to reflect such.
    *From within 7zip, via tools>options>systemtab Select all associations, and apply.
    *On plugintab>optionbutton choose your context menu integration. Choices will be added to your right click contextmenu. I have previously suggested that you, at least, enable the 3 mentioning "extract ".
    *I don't know what the editor or settings tab control. I have never used them. You may have to read the help wizard to walk you through those.

???????? I have no idea what you mean by the statement:

Last edited: 2009/03/14

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/14
    buckshotdad1960

ok, don't sweat it, thank you for your help! I'll refer back to the things you have written as needed. I've got my sleeves rolled up, I'm goin in!

5. 2009/03/14
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Sheesh,

While trying to figure out exactly what you've done, I think I know! You have the older version of 7zip already in your rightclick context. You have downloaded the newer version and have now rightclicked on it. On rightclick you have standard option to open. There is also a 7zip entry which folds out to cascade the file options, 11 in total. Is this correct?

Just uninstall the older version, as suggested, and doubleclick on the file you've downloaded file. "7z464.exe ".

From then on, when you wish to extract files from a supported zipped file such as instmia.exe use the rightclick>7zip>extract files option. If you rather install these "self executing/self installing" files as they are designed to do DOUBLE CLICK on them.

----Clarification Please------------------------
    Are you telling me that when you doubleclicked on the download of 7zip named "7z464.exe. That it does not install?

6. 2009/03/14
    buckshotdad1960

Just like a doctor who performs his first major operation and fails, I too have lost the patent! I was sitting there trying to figure out how to tell the family, feeling worthless and some how at fault. I hung my head in shame, and felt like the human equivalent of a greasy New York cockroach undeserving to live! Whose days should be spent squaring between the shadows of society, subsisting only on the crumbs that fall through the cracks of mildew stained floors! But just before I threw away my donors card I figured it out! I figured out why I can’t seem to implement any of the help you guys have given me! Sure, I’m not very smart and have a learning problem know as Budweiser, but that’s not it! LOL My problem is that my files are set to open in registry! You can’t open anything in registry except files that were made to be run by the registry! CAN YOU DIT IT! I am good! I am d*mn good! It’s all like Childs play to me now! In a week I’ll be running this place! LOL

Like that windows installer and Instmsia.exe, it’s set to be opened in registry! I need new tools! New knowledge! We can rebuild it! We can make it better than before! The day will dawn when I will cry out, IT LIVES, I HAVE GIVEN IT LIFE! LOL Now, please go to the cemetery and don’t come back until you bring me the knowledge of HOW TO DETERMINE WHICH FILE GETS OPENED WITH WHAT, AND HOW TO CHANGE THEM!............That is all!.............Thank you!

7. 2009/03/14
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

First let's see if we can restore the *exe association:

http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

Scroll to the win98 fix or use this direct download link:
    http://filext.com/Win98_EXE_Fix.reg

It's a reg patch and should merge into your reg when double clicked on. Since things seem to want to open in registry anyway, this should be no problem. :)

Tweakui will restore system associations to defaults. This may mean you will have to reset some programs options to allow the preferred handler, once again, or on occasion will come across a "which program would you like to use to open this file type.

But at least it's a good place to start.:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

http://malektips.com/windows_98_-_tweakui_help_and_tips.html
    See#14
    File Associations Are All Messed Up?

Last edited: 2009/03/15
  8. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

I need more power! The win98 fix merged with no problem but the tweakui when downloaded, doubled clicked and or right clicked on said: the specified file is not a registry script. you can import only registry files. Your bottom three links were facinating but not helpful. Why can't I get this to work? What was the name on the jar of the brain you took? It wasn't abby something was it? (Young frankenstine) LOL Lets try again tomorrow, I'm tired! Good night soldier! Thanks for sticking with me!

P.S. I noticed at the first sign of the enemy those other two bums ran off! Evan omo and Markp62! If I ever see them again I swear their going on potato peeling duty! LOL

9. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Darn it,

While I have and can find regpatches for xp and newer, win98x regpatches are a lot harder to locate. Let's try to tackle this with tools on hand.

Do you still have 7zip installed? I hope so. Open 7zip via the startmenu>programs tab>7zip shortcut or use the runline method for 7zFM.exe

Once open, browse to the tweahui.zip folder.
    Click once on it to highlight
    Click the big blue minus sign (for extraction)
    make note of the path/folder name it will extract these to and hit okay
    Once extracted you should have folder with these files in it:
    download.txt
    tweakui.cnt
    tweakui.cpl
    tweakui.hlp
    tweakui.inf

Right click on tweakui.inf file and select install

Fingers crossed that this worked. :rolleyes:

If this went well tweakui will install and you can proceed to use as suggested in the previous thread.

--------------------------------------------
    By the way, I'm sure both Mark and Evan are watching this post repeatedly. Our board members tend to wait for each member to finish the task they're are trying to accomplish, unless mistakes/errors are made or additional help is asked for. We try to avoid over whelming the poster by bomb barding him/her with to many chiefs or drawing attention away from one task by suggesting another (unless the other is much more efficient or easier). This avoids confusion on understanding whats been done and could or needs to be done. Think of us as a tag TEAM. You will note the amount of times this post has been read. That should tell we are not alone nor abandoned. Other members are waiting patiently, eagerly or impatiently to step into the drivers seat. :)

As a side note should you desire input or help from another you can also request this. Most, if not all, are not thin skinned and will not be offended. We can be cranky on occasion but isn't everybody? :)

10. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Got another idea............

Go to Windows\inf\shell.inf and right click on the shell.inf file,
    then Click Install. This should reset all associations to their default.

11. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

Good morning,
    As I opened the laboratory door this morning the smell of last nights defeat curled my nostrils with the odor of burnt mother board circuitry surpassed only by the lingering disgust of failure! But I see there’s a storm moving in, so I will ready the generators and host the lightning rod and try your new suggestion! Naturally, I’ll keep you in formed of my progress of course!............ Why should you be happy! LOL I Ked! I Ked! Today is the day we succeed!

Thanks for the inside tip but those two guys are cool and I can joke around with them! It’s Arie Slob (The Chef Ramsey of the forum) I have to watch out for. He doesn’t play well with others! LOL His mother is Judge Judy and his dad is Donald Trump so that should explain everything! LOL I KED, I KED! Leave my points alone!

Markp62 sent me another file that might work. I down loaded it and I’m defragging right now. I’m going to try and run the explorer part then do as you suggest so fix bayonets and stay ready!

P.S. As far as a guide goes, you’re doing fine! When this is all over (assuming you survive the mission) I’m going to recommend you for the Silver Star! The other two will be demoted and their pensions taken away! LOL :)

12. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

Ok, fantastic, lets try it, please tell me how to get to that file!

13. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Come on buckshot,

Give me some help here. The bones are beginning to show through my typing finger tip pads. :) I told you the the file name shell.inf, I told you it could be found in the windows\inf folder. You've got to already know how to do a file search or navigate to a particular folder in your computer.

As for the file search this app may help to replace windows built in one. It's often recommended, on our board, as a much better more accurate and quicker windows search alternative:
    agent ransack

I assume you have adjusted your folder option>view settings to show hidden system and file extensions. If not please do so.

If you really need further help in doing this basic task please let me know and I will be more specific.

14. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

No, I really am that computer Illiterate, some things I have caught on to, but other things I stay away from. Like files, folders and anything associated with them. The first thing I did was go to start>find>files and folders, a box opened with three boxes to file in.
    1) Name:
    2) Containing text:
    3) Look in:

I filled it out like this:

1) Name: shell.inf
    2) Containing text:
    3) Look in: windows\inf\shell.inf

Clicked include subfolders and hit the find now button: It said: There are no items to show in this view. At that moment, despite all my denial, it hit me like a ton of bricks!
    I DONâ€T KNOW WHAT I’M DOING! I find files by accident! That’s how I do it! I just start punching buttons until it pops up! Remember that Clint Eastwood movie THE GOOD’ THE BAD, AND THE UGLY? The cemetery scene when the ugly starts to look for the head stone. It makes you dizzy the way all those head stone go flying by as he runs looking. Well, that’s me looking for a file! I even make those sound effects of him running. LOL I know you only have but one finger to give for your country! I’m sorry! I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t know! So what did I do? (violin starts) I turned to you! (sniffles) The only one I could count on! (starts to cry) The only woman that I look up to and admire! (sniffles) The only one I trusted to be there for me! (cough) But what did you do? (Cries harder) You made fun of me! (cough cough) You belittled me! ( sniffles) You exposed my ignorance for all the eyes of the world to see! (cough sniffle cough) You shamed me in front of the other men and now I’ll never be able to hold my head up at the bar again! (cries even harder) (sniffles and wipes nose) But I’ll forgive you if you tell me how to find that file! LOL :)

15. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

Ok, I used agent ransack to locate the file and clicked install. The icons on my desk top have not changed. They still are set to open in registry. ?

16. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

To permanently set your View options to 'Details',

Select Start > Settings > Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window, select View > Details.

Then select View > Folder Options.

n the Folder Options window, select the View tab

In the section entitled "hidden files and folders "

Select show hidden files
    make sure hide file extensions is unchecked
    hide system files is unchecked

Apply and okay your way out.

---------------------------------------------------

Use windows find or "agent ransack" as suggested

Just type shell.inf in the find box make sure subfolders is checked and hit search.

once shell.inf is found right click on it and select install.

-------------------------------------------
    opps,

I see we have been typing at the sametime.

And Darn it!

How about a reboot?

How about typing this at the runline

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

For that matter

regsvr32 msi.dll

--------------------------------------
    Before to much time passes and restore files are longer viable

We may wish to explore a scanreg /restore
    and choose a date prior to when this problem occured.

Possibly a scanreg /fix

How to use scanreg

---------------------------------------------

Any members reading this!!!!

Waving the white flag for additional help. Anyone have a better fix on what may be going on or a better idea on how to best fix this PLEASE jump in! Keep in mind poster does not have win98cd and repair install is not an option.

17. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

In case you've failed to notice I have since updated my previous thread above^. Just want to make sure you didn't miss it. (as if the colors weren't enough to draw anyone's attention...)

Light Bulb! Don't know if it's related but did you ever go back and make sure to that msiexec.exe, msi.dll, and msihnd.dll that were previously renamed have been renamed back to original. Since an install of the latest windows installer has been unsuccessful so far these may be needed even if problematic.

Since you now have "agent ransack" do a search for:
    msiexec and see what comes up.

Do a search for instmsi.msi and see what comes up.

18. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

IT’S A LIVE! IT’S A LIVE!

YOU DID IT! YOU FIXED IT!

YOU GET THE SILVER STAR!

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT! THE ICONS ALL CHANGED BACK!

Tell me I’m not dreaming! All my icons changed back but two:
    1) powerfulpc.reg
    2) win98_exe_fix.reg

But it doesn’t matter and I think there supposed to be registry files anyway!

YOU DID IT!

GIRL YOU ARE SMART!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I can’t believe it! We have a pulse! I knew you could do it!
    This was your finest hour!
    See, sometimes you just have to be pushed to your breaking point for your best to shine through! Even though I was a little ashamed of the way you threw in the towel back there, just a little early at the end! LOL But it doesn’t matter because you did it! You adapted, you over came and you completed your mission! I am very grateful for what you have done! A lesser computer warrior would have fallen by the way side by now! Let’s hope for my sake I never have a problem that hard again! Now I can go back and run through the other things that I need to take care of, probable on my own! I have learned a lot from you! Thank you! Let me say it one more time!

HOUSTON, WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

19. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yeah, I think?

What of the above did it?

20. 2009/03/15
    buckshotdad1960

WHAT! YOUR ASKING ME! HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING?

I don't know! I haven't even had time to run those commands in run yet! I just did the reboot like you said and they changed! Should I still run those commands and reboot each time?

21. 2009/03/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Runlines and registering those files can't hurt, I don't know if they will help anything at the moment but they can't hurt.

I'm not sure if we have really fixed or taken care of the original task which was making sure you have an updated and correctly installed "windows installer "

Do search for those files using agent ransack and let me know what you find.