1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Java 7 update 4 won't install

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Alicia J, 2012/06/11.

1. 2012/08/25
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation. I'm off to bed. Maybe an apple will fall out of a tree overnight and I'll come up with a bright idea.

Last edited: 2012/08/25
  2. 2012/08/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Good night Alicia. I said it before and I'll say it again "it just shouldn't be so hard ". :)

Food for thought...I was not prompted to allow active x, are you sure your ie security is set to defaults in all zones?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/08/25

The default in all zones is shaded and custom is bold. I went back to the game webite today with the same results.

5. 2012/08/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Alicia,
    I know you stated you did not want to uninstall/reinstall IE but how about a repair sorta'.

This site and down loadable fixes just re-register's IE files (dlls) and checks registry for some entries that are known to be problematic.
    http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=48&id=133&artlang=en
    Made by an Microsoft MVP I trusted and ran the one for my version. No harm done. You may wish to give it a shot. Read carefully and note the appropriate zip in the orange color "Attached File" section.

Also IE Reset may help but do a google read on what the reset does.
    http://tinyurl.com/cklrfy9

To Fellow members: If you have any good ideas please jump in.

-------------------------------------------
    We are down to trying a bit of this and a bit of that. I am no genius nor tech geek so the kitchen sink is now being thrown....:)

6. 2012/08/25

Thanks for the links. I'll report back once I've had a chance to read it.

7. 2012/08/26

Okay after reading the information for an I.E. reset and what it does, I'm thinking maybe not.

I read the other link, does it work on I.E. 9? Also I don't see a zip file for a 32 bit O.S. in the list. ie8-rereg.32on64.zip, ie8-rereg.zip, ie8-rereg.64on64.zip, ie8-rereg.all.zip I don't know what 32ON64 means.

8. 2012/08/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

As stated on the site page:

Even though they are named IE* he stated in the 1st paragraph, they also work in and with IE7 and IE9. Not all commands will be needed for all 3 versions but the ones that are will stick and the ones that don't will be ignored (failed but not harmful).

Your posted specs say you have a 64 bit OS, but perhaps you just installed 32 bit IE.

Last edited: 2012/08/26
  9. 2012/08/26

Sorry I'm obviously blind. I have a 32 bit system on my Netbook which has the Java issue. I ran the cmd file. It said there was nothing to fix. Still no joy with Java.

10. 2012/08/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Alicia,
    Well darn it. That's the sink. I sure hope you like Firefox. I will keep looking and thinking about your problem. I hate not being able to find a fix. Perhaps, as time moves on, your reluctance to make or loose current settings and customizations to IE will lose it's glamor. There was no guarantee that reset or fresh install would have fixed it anyway. This was just one more thing to eliminate from the possibilities.

I think I had another idea but for the life of me ,illness (tummy) and lack of sleep has me thinking like a blithering idiot. I will step back from this problem and try to get some rest and will get back to it in a bit. In the mean time, should you find a fix elsewhere please, please update this board and its members. This post has had almost 2000 peeks so it has a lot of curious and interested members attention. Good luck for now and I will be seeing you, again soon.

11. 2012/08/26

Well goddez1 I have to thank you for hanging in there and trying. I've learnt a lot just trying to fix this problem.

I hope your tummy settles down and you can get some much needed sleep.

I will definetely report back if I find a fix. In the meantime I'll use Firefox when needed. I'm glad it works in Firefox or I'd be really frustrated.

12. 2012/09/01
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Poking the tiger....

Java update available:version 7u7.

13. 2012/09/01

I tried installing it but I didn't have any luck with it working after install.

14. 2012/09/01
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

I think your only solution would be a clean Windows install.

15. 2012/09/01

I guess that's what's left if I want to
    use I.E to use java.

16. 2012/09/01
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Alicia,
    You still haven't tried resetting IE or uninstalling and reinstall IE. I would try this before doing the ultimate big-gun fix. Did you ever try making another account and using that clean account?

17. 2012/09/01

I'm kind of chicken to do a reset or a reinstall of IE.
    Yes I tried making another account.

18. 2012/09/01
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

What's so important about current settings that can't be reproduced once a reset is done? Just curious.
    Not trying to make you do something you have no desire to do particularly since Firefox has been designated as browser backup and in my biased opinion, should be browser of choice.

Last edited: 2012/09/01
  19. 2012/09/01

I thought I'd keep the personal settings in a reset. What do you think?

20. 2012/09/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Read slowly and carefully. Note what is kept and will have to customized and enabled again. Also note that cookies will have included any site that you have allowed password saving or form saves, all of which can be redone again provided you remember these. You ask me for my opinion....I would have done this long ago. I have nothing in any program "set" or is so important that I can't reproduce it when or if I desire. Having any application or program (IE and Java) not doing what "I want or expect" would be driving absolutely crazy. NOTE* I have reset IE more that once, also have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, Java, Flash and any number of add-ons and extensions. Keep in mind that I do these things because I find satisfaction and enjoyment in repairing or fixing my own computer problems. I also have the time to spend, that often, this may take. That said ......

Do you use this computer for business or pleasure? Have backups? Have things you would absolutely die for if lost due computer failure?

The below link is very informative but "must be read ". This includes opening the links to expand and show additional facts about each subject:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737#method14

Nothing real scary and all can redone.

Last edited: 2012/09/02
  21. 2012/09/02

Thank you for the information. I've got some reading to do. I'll report back once I've worked my way through the reading.