1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Java 7 update 4 won't install

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Alicia J, 2012/06/11.

1. 2012/08/22
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

2. 2012/08/22
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

Clicking on ensemble asks me to install latest Java.

I use I.E. 9 on my netbook which has the issue. The site that I've been testing the Java is the test java on java website.

Where do I check the browser plugins? Are you talking about the manage add ons section?

Security settings for java would be under internet options? Security? Where exactly?

Last edited: 2012/08/22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/08/23
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello again Alicia,

Looks like we have a couple of different directions or decisions we can try, to fix this issue. Be brave and willing to try anything, after all you can't break what's already broken.

As you have discovered Getting Java to install or uninstall can be difficult, in a few cases, where something was messed up in the proper process. To make matters worse a Java install, if crippled will appear to install but won't have. I think your problem began by deleted the file Jp2iexp.dll . This is the reason why I sent you to the Java sample page, hoping that, after clicking on the "Ensemble" example, you would allow the site to install the plugin or Java version it needed. I believe it to be the JavaFX part of install to be missing the file you deleted or at best this file has not been registered but we can deal that possibility later. First things first.

2 ways to go, the choice is yours on which to do first. One is uninstalling anything that says Java or Java* in the Control panel\Programs and Features. Go to the site where I suggested you run the reg patches. You had previously asked which. Try them both, they will only work if the hkeys are in the registry. If they aren't, no harm done. After you do this: in an effort to be thorough, you are going to have to be brave and do some manual cleanup/checking in the registry yourself. Using the Run line type and run regedit: (go to......)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE click on + to expand. Expand "SOFTWARE" Look for both JavaSoft & JreMetrics if they are there delete both keys. Try, once again, to reinstall java. Might be something that got missed by the cleanup or uninstaller tools that others mentioned.

Fingers crossed that problem is fixed. If not we can fall back on the "Ensemble" example and allowing Oracle to install the Java (plugin) it needs.

---------------
    At this point you may also wish to install a 2nd backup browser such as Firefox or Seamonkey. Personally I have both, total= all 3 browsers) Firefox is my browser of choice for day to day use. I find and will even go so far as to swear, it is faster than IE and with a wee bit of tweaking and customization can be made to look similar to IE's tabs and buttons that the transition should be easy. I also suggested Seamonkey because prior to the last Flash update or 2 it was faster and less fussy with flash than both IE and Firefox. Now I find myself falling back to Firefox which seems to like the current version of Flash much better. That said, it is time to focus back on the problem at hand. Give my suggestions a shot and let's hope for the best. :)

Last edited: 2012/08/23
  5. 2012/08/23

I tried the JavaMSI and it said there was nothing to fix. Then I tried the batch file and it said Java was installed on Java test site but would not work on 3 websites that run Java.

I tried deleting those 2 keys in the registry. Still no go.

I then tried the ensemble sample and it downloaded the Java and installed it, but it still won't run.

I do have firefox installed already. Java works fine in firefox.

6. 2012/08/23
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Darn it. At least Firefox is co-operating. You have tried just about almost everything there is to try short of uninstalling IE and reinstalling.
    >Is IE "s security in all zones set to default?
    >Did you double check IEs plugins and extensions to make sure Java related do-dads have not been Disabled?
    >Any security programs settings/options set to not allow or stop scripts (Java)?

What error, warning or nag are you getting when trying to watch or load a Java related clip?

You said you have the Java Icon in control panel? You can't open or run it and check the settings in this? What happens when you do so? Does this icon stay even after all the cleanup processes you've done?
    To see whether your browser is configured to use Java or not, first open Windows Control Panel. From the Start menu button, select Settings, then Control Panel to open the Java Control Panel, click on the Java Coffee Cup logo icon in the Control Panel.

For Java version 6.0 and above:
    1.Double-click the icon to open Java Control Panel.
    2.In Java Control Panel, click the Advanced tab.
    3.Click on + icon next to Default Java for browsers.
    4.Make sure the box next to Internet Explorer or Mozilla is checked.
    5.If it is not checked, click the checkbox to enable Java for your Web browser.
    6.Click Apply.

----------------
    Scratching my head on this one and am not sure which way to go, now. It just shouldn't be this dang hard.

Have you ran a virus cleaner/scan to make double sure you are clean? I do recall a virus involving Java being quite wide spread at one point in time and I think this bugger was rootkit to boot. Instinct is telling me that this being the issue is small since Java runs and is problematic free in Firefox but it can't hurt to be extra sure.

Perhaps a hunt for the start of the problem jp2iexp.dll. How about looking for this file in both the c\program files\Java\JRE7\bin and in the c\program files\oracle\javafx 2.2\bin. When found right click and check versions also if correct, versions right select register.

I have 2, one in each folder as stated above, the Oracle bin properties check is:
    File Description Java(TM) Platform SE
    Product Name Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U5

The Java\JRE7|bin:
    All the same as above except Product name has Platform SE 7 U6

7. 2012/08/23

I found the jp2iexp.dll but a rclick doesn't give me the option to register the dll. The version under properties is correct.

I can't find the oracle folder.

I checked for viruses etc and all clear.

All the add ons are enabled.

8. 2012/08/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Wouldn't hurt to post the logs in the Malware section. Sometimes things are found that we know are iffy and some programs might not find them.

9. 2012/08/24

Can you tell me how to register the jp2iexp.dll Right clicking it doesn't give me the option to register.

10. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Last edited: 2012/08/24
  11. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello.....you there Alicia? Phooey, you were here. I guess I scared you away.

12. 2012/08/24

How do I know that I have version 5 of registry editor to make a rclick? This would be a good thing to have set up.

To do manually I have this file C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\jp2iexp.dll
    I could do a copy and paste if you posted it for me. I seem to be putting it in RUN incorrectly.

13. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

regsrv32 "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\jp2iexp.dll "

I keep trying to catch you in the post. I have a few quick checks I would like you to do in the control panel java icon (cpl) but I would like quicker feedback to accomplish.

I know you use version 5 registry because of your operating system. Version 4 would be windows 98 and lower (older). Would you like bolded text of the reg patch?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\Register\command]
    @= "regsvr32.exe \\\ "%1\\\" "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\Shell\UnRegister\command]
    @= "regsvr32.exe /u \\\ "%1\\\" "

To use this tweak, just copy the following text into notepad, click save as, click the dropdown that says "Text Documents (*.txt)" and change it to "All Files ", then give the file a name with a .reg at the end. Once you have save the file, open windows explorer, go to the file, right click on it and select merge. This will add this to your registry. You should then have Register and Unregister on your context menu whenever you right click on a dll file.

NOTE* I named mine regsrv.reg, saved it to desktop and would have double clicked it to merge into registry if I had needed but I already have the right click options.

Or download this regpatch. Even though it says windows vista.dll.reg it is the same for win7. Extra cautious? You can always open it in notepad to take a peek at code.
    http://www.ctimls.com/Downloads/Windows/Vista/VistaDll.reg

14. 2012/08/24

Sorry for the delays. I ran the reg file and then registered the dll. What would you like me to check in the java cpl?

The supper bell is ringing so I'll check in later. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

15. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Oh good, because I seem to have developed an upset tummy that has me running from one room to the next. That's why my response seems to lag.

I do need to know 2 things about the Java cpl that can be given when you get to it. op;en it and click on the tab named General click on the About button and tell me the version. You could also delete the current temporary internet files (for cached java) using the button under that surname.

Click on the "java" Tab> "view button" and tell me if you have more than one version listed in there. On the "advanced tab" make sure its the default for IE (mine also includes Mozilla), Make sure java plug in is checked enabled. I did notice way up top under debugging is something called "show applet life cycle exceptions ". As an experiment check this. I believe it will "show errors when applet is loading" maybe this will allow an error to made that will be more revealing then what you have been getting.
    -----------------------------------

Have read that addins and plugins are user specific. I wonder, if you made or logged into windows using another admin account, if IE would still have same issues. Just a thought but worth giving a shot.

16. 2012/08/24

About shows version 1.7.0-06-b24

I cleared temp. internet files.

View shows version as 1.7.0.06

Java plug in is enabled.

I checked off show applet life cycle exceptions.

I.E. is checked by default (shaded) and firefox is also checked.

P.S. I hope your tummy is feeling better.

17. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Well then. That tells Java is indeed latest version and there is only one and it is the default. Bad news is that doesn't tell us why it is not working in IE. Problem has to lie in either Ie it's self the registry or in IE's plugins, or security. Common sense had pretty much pointed toward this by Firefox working and IE not. Looks like trying the alternate user account, or uninstalling IE and reinstalling. Java is no longer the focus. Had pretty much run out of ideas for this anyway. I think you tried just about everything there is to try.

Just think some users have multiple versions of Java and switch between them regularly, apparently with no problem. It's as simple as choosing ables disables and making the version desired the default.

18. 2012/08/24

Ok. Thanks for all your help. I don't want to reinstall I.E so I'll use Firefox if I need java to run.

I just checked. It doesn't work in firefox now either. Geesh.

19. 2012/08/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

http://www.jgames.com/ Go to a site that uses such and let it install what ever plugin it needs or gives you a warning that it can't do yada because you need yada. When you go to you tube and click on a clip does the video run?
    http://www.youtube.com/videos?feature=hp

I know they are different but am curious.

Opps just noticed proble has spread to firefox. shutdown all browsers and reboot.

20. 2012/08/24

The games website prompted I.E. to tell me I need Java. It also wanted to install an
    active X which I didn't do. Should I?

The You Tube videos played fine.

After a reboot Java works in Firefox.

21. 2012/08/25
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yes to the active x.

ActiveX controls, mini program building blocks, can serve to create distributed applications working over the Internet through web browsers. Examples include customized applications for gathering data, viewing certain kinds of files, and displaying animation.

ActiveX controls are comparable to Java applets: programmers designed both of these mechanisms to allow web browsers to download and execute them. But Java applets can run on nearly any platform, while ActiveX components officially operate only with Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser and the Microsoft Windows operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/activex-whatis.aspx
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Why-does-Internet-Explorer-block-some-ActiveX-controls

Been playing games, on site given, with no virus warnings just an annoying ad that buzzes around, trying to be sneaky, using tactics to get you to click. I have a hard time resisting Mahjong. ;)

Phew!!! Glad to see Firefox just needed a reboot. Some changes in settings often require such.

Last edited: 2012/08/25