1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Is Low Level Format before install a wise choice?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by easeltine, 2013/03/08.

1. 2013/03/08
    easeltine

easeltine Inactive Thread Starter

Please forgive me if I have this in the wrong category. It seems like a wise decision to run a Low Level format on a computer before a new install. I have a computer that received a few bad physical sector readings, and the files started getting corrupted. The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX620 SSF, with Pro XP and runs hot. The fans were very noisy. A software I downloaded said the hard drive was running hot, (134%-144% F.

I decided to run a Low Level Format on the Hard Drive. After running the Low Level Format the Bad Sectors were eliminated, and the fans quit being noisy. It was like the computer was new.

A. Is running a Low Level Format always a good idea when putting a new "older" O/S on?
    B. Does a Low Level Format usually correct some physical bad sectors?
    C. Why would the fans run less noisy after the Low Level Format? Is the software telling the fans to run more in the BIOS, or is it in XP?

2. 2013/03/08
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

1. A low level format can be good when you want to make it harder for someone to recover files off of it, and if you suspect a really hidden rootkit infection.

2. Bad sectors are not repaired, they are simply marked off as unusable. They are still there, just nothing will be written to them.

3. Probably because those sectors are now marked as bad, and the operating system is no longer trying to read them, taking some strain off of the system as it no longer goes over and over and over trying to read them. A good reason for the drive to get hot.

That said, that hard drive is going to fail you, slowly, as additional sectors go bad. Just don't keep anything important to you on it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/08
    easeltine

Thank you Mark

No, I don't plan to put anything important on that computer. I am using LINUX Kubuntu.

5. 2013/03/16
    easeltine

Mark,

I found a copy of Windows 2000 PRO and put that in the LINUX as a Virtual Box.

I have never seen Windows 2000 work this quickly! I have full display, sound, internet connection etc. I updated to SP4. I put my Windows programs in there!

I cannot believe how well Windows 2000 works through the Virtual Box!