1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IRQ conflict and random re-booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by velectro, 2009/01/22.

1. 2009/02/01
    velectro

velectro Inactive Thread Starter

I've just emailed you some Minidumps, thanks :)

2. 2009/02/01
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The last two dumps have the following information.

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is
    caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. Run the driver
    verifier against any new (or suspect) drivers, and if that doesn't turn up
    the culprit, then use gflags to enable special pool.

FOLLOWUP_NAME: Pool_corruption

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!ExDeferredFreePool+162

MODULE_NAME: Pool_Corruption

IMAGE_NAME: Pool_Corruption

First, I want to pass on a link to another topic here where pool corruption is a commonality. Please note the information given by Joe Hobart in regards to pool corruption, including all warnings.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-server-system/40109-dump-data-pool_corruption.html

You mentioned in the email that you haven't had much success in causing crashes with apps, I'd like to try using a utility that simulates intensive loads on various hardware components. Please download and install BurnInTest by PassMark. Allow it to install the DirectX components if prompted.
    Upon opening the app, click Continue to run in trial mode.
    Select Configuration on the menu, then Test Preferences.
    Select the Video Playback tab then click the browse button next to line 1
    It should show bit_microsoft_video1.avi in the filename address space. Click Open.
    You can choose any other video files you like to poulate the other 3 fields, if so desired.
    Click OK to exit.
    Click Configuration>Test Duty Cycles

Here's where you get to the meat of the app. We need to load each of the items shown on this screen to see if we can cause a crash or failure and narrow down the possibilities. The default load settings are 50%, which might be enough to do it. It might take a 100% load. The deafult 15 minute test might suffice, it may need to be increased. Only trial and error will tell.

Make sure you test all components, in the event that more than one thing will cause a crash. If successful, check to see if a dump was created too.

Whether successful or not, we will then move on to running a few tests with the built-in driver verifier, then on to enabling special pool if necessary.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/02/03
    velectro

Hi there, I have ran all componenets at 50%, 75% and 100% for 15 mins each, no crash so far. I'm just going to get hold of the full version so i can run it for longer than 15mins at 100%, and i'll post again

5. 2009/02/03
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I hate to see you spend money for that. Have you tried selecting more than 1 component?
    Sounds as though the machine has stopped crashing. Has something changed?
    No reason we can't go straight to running the driver verifier from here.

6. 2009/02/03
    velectro

No its ok i didnt spend money on it ;)

I've run it for half an hour (at 100%) and still no crash, and thats with all components being tested at once.

I haven't had a crash since i emailed you the minidumps. I don't think anything has changed on my computer.

7. 2009/02/11
    velectro

Hi , would you like me to follow instuction in post #4 of the thread you mentioned about?

8. 2009/02/13
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Lets run the Driver Verifier and see if it turns up anything. Before you begin, right click My Computer on the desktop or Start menu and select Properties > Advanced tab.
    • Click Settings under "Startup and Recovery ", uncheck the Automatically restart box and click OK twice. This forces Windows XP to throw up a STOP error when it encounters a major problem instead of automatically restarting.
    • Reboot the computer so we know there have been no changes that might cause an unsuccessful boot.

Now click Start > Run, type verifier and press Enter.
    • Make sure Create standard settings is selected and click Next.
    • Now choose Automatically select unsigned drivers and click Next.
    • Every single driver file on your system should be identified, so click Finish to test them all.
    • Click OK when prompted to restart. Your drivers will be tested during the start-up process.

If the drivers survived the test, relaunch Driver Verifier Manager, but this time select Delete existing settings and click Finish before rebooting to disable it.

If, however, you receive a STOP error on startup it means an unsigned driver on your system could potentially cause problems in the future.
    Restart your PC and begin tapping the F8 key.
    Select Last Known Configuration from the Advanced Start menu and press Enter.
    Windows XP will re-load the Driver Verifier Manager defaults, enabling it to load successfully.

Unfortunately the Driver Verifier Manager tool isn't too specific. If you run it on all of your drivers and it comes up against a problem, causing a BSOD, you'll have no idea which driver is the culprit.
    Thankfully, you can tweak the Driver Verifier Manager to perform tests on specific files only, enabling you to isolate the potentially unstable file. To do so, run the Driver Verifier Manager again, but this time choose Select driver names from a list after selecting Create standard settings and click Next.
    Windows XP will now load a list of all drivers installed on your system.
    Click Provider once to sort them by manufacturer.
    Select all non-Microsoft drivers then click Finish before repeating the rest of the procedure outlined above.
    If it BSODs again, you can then begin narrowing down the list of non-Microsoft drivers.
    If no BSOD, run it again and select only Microsoft drivers, then narrow those down accordingly.

9. 2009/04/29
    velectro

Hi there, I must apologise for not posting sooner. Several weeks ago I went away on business and my OH decided to do a re-format and re- install. Since then, we have not had this problem - and perhaps crucially we aren't running Kaspersky anymore! Mmmm, strange.

However, I just wanted to say a big thanks for all the help on here i've received, you guys are fantastic! If anything untoward should happen, i'll return to this thread.

10. 2009/04/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update!